• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First Diamond Trusted Reviewer!

Suddenly, I don't feel so elite. :\
Haha. Its mainly that JR Stengele isnt on DGCR very much anymore, so that new DTRs have not been added in years. And that goes in tandem with the decline in use of DGCR in general, along with the corresponding decline in the use of social groups here

I want to make a cubic zirconia group when I hit 1,000 for the real cool kids. With Shadrach3 as our captain.

the cubic zirconia club looks poised to add 2 more to its ranks. It appears you are only one or two reviews away, and DiscinOhio is only 9 votes away as well. i think that would make 14 members?

HyooMac, aclay, Shadrach3, Blake883, KenanFlagler01, knobby325, pmay5, Ryal, Cerealman, DFah, lee76007, Surge5

the cubic zirconia club looks poised to add 2 more to its ranks. It appears you are only one or two reviews away, and DiscinOhio is only 9 votes away as well. i think that would make 14 members?

HyooMac, aclay, Shadrach3, Blake883, KenanFlagler01, knobby325, pmay5, Ryal, Cerealman, DFah, lee76007, Surge5

Yup, DisninOhio and I will make 14. That's a great line up of reviewers to be in company with.

I wonder if this list makes a strong enough argument to convince Tim to play with the TR thresholds again. If so, what tweak would be best?

IMO, either decrease the number of uniques required for diamond (recognizing current user base doesn't provide enough unique voters for the current threshold to make sense) or increase the number of thumbs up required for diamond (keep it an exclusive club; we'd be close to 40 diamonds if all the cubic club get in).

I don't have any skin in the game other than wanting to encourage good reviewers to keep on churning out quality reviews. Having so many people stuck in pre-diamond limbo doesn't seem to be helping achieve that goal.

I don't have any skin in the game other than wanting to encourage good reviewers to keep on churning out quality reviews. Having so many people stuck in pre-diamond limbo doesn't seem to be helping achieve that goal.

i would also like to encourage good reviewers to continue to churn out reviews. I think what timg initially set-up worked to achieve that in many ways. Perhaps there is something he could tweak, although i'm not sure he'd even consider tweaks at the moment.

I personally think it should take more reviews to make each TR level other than bronze level. There are probably 3 to 4 times as many courses now than when the site first launched. Someone reviewing 50 courses in 2008 had to branch out, whereas today someone could achieve that in one big metro.

Ill also point out that more than 30 of the 50 diamonds haven't reviewed a course yet in 2022. Several of which are going on 5 plus years now without a review and pretty much stopped once diamond level was achieved.

^Sounds like (for many) that diamond status is a motivation until it's achieved. Shame that some of our best reviewers have stopped reviewing once they got that milestone. I can't judge as I haven't written more than a handful of reviews in the last 5 years or so, but the site would benefit if these folks were still writing reviews.

Maybe we need uranium* status to entice those inactive diamond reviewers off the sidelines?

*Call it whatever you want. This is a reference to a rap interlude with the line: "I threw away all of my platinum cards and got me a uranium card." That one and a few other lines from the same track are forever burnt into my brain.

i would certainly have a good laugh if i saw that. perhaps the medal icon could tarnish over time?

In all seriousness however, I appreciate their contributions.

Considering the half life, that tarnish would take a while to accumulate. Trying to imagine Tim's reaction if we were to suggest implementing that.;)

Someone reviewing 50 courses in 2008 had to branch out, whereas today someone could achieve that in one big metro.

Shhhhhhh don't give away my secret dude.

I wonder if this list makes a strong enough argument to convince Tim to play with the TR thresholds again. If so, what tweak would be best?

IMO, either decrease the number of uniques required for diamond (recognizing current user base doesn't provide enough unique voters for the current threshold to make sense) or increase the number of thumbs up required for diamond (keep it an exclusive club; we'd be close to 40 diamonds if all the cubic club get in).

i don't think it makes a strong argument at all. in fact, i think it underscores the importance of the unique vote threshold. if anything, i'd say increase the minimum review numbers.

also, we're already at 50 diamonds

seems the exact opposite to me. especially in light of Mark's observation below

Ill also point out that more than 30 of the 50 diamonds haven't reviewed a course yet in 2022. Several of which are going on 5 plus years now without a review and pretty much stopped once diamond level was achieved.

i'm guilty of the first stat. looking forward to taking my recently DG addicted friend on his first bagging trip soon.

I personally think it should take more reviews to make each TR level other than bronze level. There are probably 3 to 4 times as many courses now than when the site first launched. Someone reviewing 50 courses in 2008 had to branch out, whereas today someone could achieve that in one big metro.

agreed

Shhhhhhh don't give away my secret dude.

dude, everyone in this thread has been pulling this move for years!

IF a change were considered to DR status, maybe someone could look at the historical averages of two things WHEN DR status was actually obtained for existing diamond reviewers:
1) thumbs up - thumbs down
2) # of courses reviewed

In other words, WHEN each current member reached DR level, what were their stats for those two metrics? That would seem like a good proxy or place to start if lowering uniques.

And if uniques were being lowered to compensate for current site membership logistics, then maybe the two adjusted threshholds above could be made a little higher than those historical averages to offset the lower uniques...

While we are at it, why not make uniques easier to know/track? If someone is working extra hard just to get to DR level (which seems likely given the above observations), shouldn't they have some idea where they are in the process? Goals need to be achievable, but progress should also be obtainable.

IF a change were considered to DR status, maybe someone could look at the historical averages of two things WHEN DR status was actually obtained for existing diamond reviewers:
1) thumbs up - thumbs down
2) # of courses reviewed

In other words, WHEN each current member reached DR level, what were their stats for those two metrics? That would seem like a good proxy or place to start if lowering uniques.

And if uniques were being lowered to compensate for current site membership logistics, then maybe the two adjusted threshholds above could be made a little higher than those historical averages to offset the lower uniques...

While we are at it, why not make uniques easier to know/track? If someone is working extra hard just to get to DR level (which seems likely given the above observations), shouldn't they have some idea where they are in the process? Goals need to be achievable, but progress should also be obtainable.

I don't think there are kept stats on when someone reached Diamond level. There is some data on this, through-out this thread no less, but it's sporadic and it's often data prior to someone hitting diamond level.

Have you ever seen the excel spreadsheet link on TR data maintained by Jeff?
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...qj7YMzjH9dsqvAhmiq5w/edit?hl=en#gid=826186394

On your final point, timg is the only one whom has the power to reveal unique totals. I think it has been brought up before. DGCR members can always propose a website content suggestions in the "Site Suggestions" section of the forum.

i would also like to encourage good reviewers to continue to churn out reviews. I think what timg initially set-up worked to achieve that in many ways. Perhaps there is something he could tweak, although i'm not sure he'd even consider tweaks at the moment.

Yeah, that was pretty much me. Heck, this is probably my first forum post in over 5 years! To be fair, I hit Diamond and tore tendons in my shoulder about the same time. Sadly, I hardly play any more and never pain free. I do miss being able to throw it over 250'. :D

Moar of this: road tripping and reviewing.
:D
heck yeah.

Yeah, that was pretty much me. Heck, this is probably my first forum post in over 5 years! To be fair, I hit Diamond and tore tendons in my shoulder about the same time. Sadly, I hardly play any more and never pain free. I do miss being able to throw it over 250'. :D

Great to see a review from the upper northwest today. Thank you for taking the time to post the review. I could definitely could see myself visiting the Vancouver area someday.

There are times when I feel like I'm chasing Diamond.

But most of the time, I just like writing reviews. I'm still honing my craft, and I'm still doing field work. I'm trying to eliminate unecessary infornation in my writing, and inefficient moves in my throwing.

I'm at 253 (reviews and feet).

Latest posts