• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

first experience with glow disc

agibson

Eagle Member
There are lots of threads talking about Glow experiences generally, but I'll take the risk of creating a new to mention my first experience, and pick up any quick pointers.

I picked up a a Glow Teebird with a tourney stamp recently as part of a player's pack (Glo CFR, I guess). And, I finally bit the bullet and bought a UV flashlight. Specifically "LEDwholesalers 395 nM 51 UV Ultraviolet LED flashlight" at amazon for $15.50 And, I went out and field tested it last night.

It worked pretty well! The UV light charged it _much_ more brightly and quickly than regular flash lights. And, under mixed conditions (an open field, grass not too long, but with a fair bit of ambient light from street lights, etc.) it was pretty easy to find my disc. Most of the time I walked right up to it, and only had to hunt a bit maybe one throw in ten. It was bright enough to even see it in flight, most of the way to its destination.

I don't really imagine picking up enough glow discs to make night time field work practical, but it definitely got me thinking of night time disc golf.

Do people find that open, park type courses work best?

I've not tried this in the woods, but I'd be pretty nervous about throwing blind shots, or finding it if it went into bushes, trees, etc.

I'll have to figure out what the posted hours are on nearby courses. Maybe PNC.

Even if I have to play with basically two discs (teebird, putter; maybe I'd add a glow roc), this might let me keep disc golf going into the fall on more than just the weekends.

I'm excited!

Is the Glo CFR possibly _only_ available with tourney stamps? How does it compare to the regular glow discs? Are those basically DX-like, and the CFR basically champion-like?

If it's dark, a woods course shouldn't be a problem, you'll see exactly where your disc goes. If it's in a bush, you'll likely still be able to see it.

They make CFR glow discs in both Champ, KC Pro and DX, most of the ones I've seen lately have been champ. They also make stock runs of Champ and DX glow, not sure about KC.

Get yourself a coin battery (CR2032), a red diffuse LED, and some clear duct or heavy duty packing tape, and tape that sucker on! You won't even have to worry about charging your glow disc, throwing blindly, or having to look hard to find it if you do throw into the schule. And the difference in stability by taping the LED on is very minimal, so no worries there.

I play night rounds practically every Friday night and its rare that I'm really ever charging my glow discs. Mostly I'll if I'm waiting a while to throw or want just that extra little bit of visibility. LED is the way to go for sure!

Glow Discs: I haven't thrown any glow plastic myself, but whenever I play a night round someone always is. There are good and bad choices to charge your discs, but it sounds like you picked a good one. The first time I played glow, a guy on my card had a cheap $5 flashlight to charge with, the disc stopped glowing almost before it left his hand.

The last time I went, a couple of guys had some pretty sweet rigs set up. Basically, they bought a small battery powered strip black light that they tucked in the bottom of their bag. Their discs were always charging for the full round, and we never had a problem spotting them. Also, the bag looked pretty sweet they way it was lit up!

Personally, I go the LED route for night discing. Tape them on off-center, they look really frickin' cool spinning through the air. The LED bulb taped to the coin battery is probably the best way to go. I have been using fishing bobber lights (find 'em at a sporting goods store!) and they work pretty good. However, they are set up to be able to turn on and off so sometimes when you hit a tree they turn themselves off. With the bulb/battery route you don't have to worry about that as much.

As for a night round in the woods, it's a ton of fun too! It's pretty hilarious when you watch your shot and think it's straight and clean and then suddenly BAM! the LED stops spinning and flops to the ground. Make sure you have knowledge of the course layout though, so you aren't just throwing and hoping.

Now I'm all pumped up for some glow rounds... I'm glad fall is coming!

The woods night golfing is fun, I almost feel like its easier to see the discs in the woods. You get less of the moonlight that usually keeps you from seeing a glo disc once it exceeds 150'

Glow Champion discs are pretty much all CFR, so yeah, tourney stamps only. I like the Champions because dealt the flight plate doesn't glow too much, if at all, so it looks really cool just the ring spinning through the air. I have a glow Nike, Destroyer, Eagle, Buzz and Aviar. Ill usually supplement that with LEDing my Vector and Wraith. Lots of fun!

I use the little coin looking batteries and pin lights on my drivers and carry a couple of glow Wizards.

One Wiz. is crazy bright and the other not so much.

I see the red light the best and sometimes us a red flashing bulb.

You can get a cool little breath mint tin with a dozen set ups in it from a guy on here. Can't think of his handle off the top of my head. I'm gona get one soon just because the way it holds the lights and batteries is perfect. I hit the local Radio Shack up a while back and they had bins full of everything you need for pretty dang cheap.

I have a Glow Roc in my FSOT thread that is brand new that I'm interested in selling/trading. PM if interested.

I love glow rounds. I have only done them at my home course in SoDak which is fairly open with only a couple particularly wooded shots. I actually went and made an entire glow bag, though: Nuke, Stalker, Buzzz, Gator :D

My favorite courses at night don't differ from those in the daylight. Nocky was a very enjoyable night round. I'm looking forward to some night rounds at Oak Island this weekend. I tried to convince the couple I played Redwood Curtain with to play another round at night, she was terrified so we ended up at the pump station, still a great night round, I'd love to play say Maple Hill or BOP, Moraine, Leviathan, Diamond X in the dark *drooling*. Boring courses during the day are still boring at night.

One Wiz. is crazy bright and the other not so much.

I've found that to be true with glow wizards, too. I've also noticed that glow Wizards--in a characteristic Gateway fashion--seem to come in varying levels of stiffness. I have one that's hard as a rock and two others that could pass as Soft Wizards.

I've found that the more ambient light there is the better LEDs work and the less ambient light there is, the better glow discs work.

Here's the link for the sale thread for the LEDs mentioned up thread. Its an awesome package he's put together, and a great price.

I'd definitely choose LED over glow disc. If you haven't already, you should check out the Hole In One product by NiteIze. It's a permanently attached LED that sits halfway above/halfway below the flight plate of the disc, so the light shines brightly whether your disc lands upside down or rightside up. It never shuts off from hitting trees, and has a simple button press between on, off, and flash. The only downside to it is that it's permanent and leaves a small hole in the very middle of your disc. So choose your disc wisely. And I swear I don't work for the company. I just think it's a good light.

Another easy solution:

Go to Radio Shack, find the drawers with individual LEDs for sale. Buy the 20 pack of misc. LEDs, most of which will be fine for a night golf application. The 20 pack runs $ 3 - 4. Walk right past the batteries and leave the store.

Go to a dollar store and pick up some coin sized batteries, they come in 3 packs in the store nearest me. Far more expensive at typical retail stores. 2016, or better yet 2032 are ideal.

Get yourself some quality packing or clear duct tape. Good stuff only, as marginal tape fails often in the cool and damp conditions found at night.

Assemble these rigs with consideration for easily taking them apart again later. Tape the LED to the battery with a thin strip. (I try to leave a little bit of tape sticking out for easy grabbing later when taking apart.) Tape the battery unit to the center of the underside of the disc using a loop of tape. Tape over that with several strips of tape. I usually do this at home in the warm and dry, the life of the battery is so long travel time shouldn't be a consideration, dry preparation is more important. When finished, disassemble carefully and store for next time out. Keep LEDs from batteries when stored, they have a way of inadvertently finding each other.

I use one on top, one below for D plastic, which is all I tend to throw as the rest is too slippery. One LED will work fine with translucent plastic, of course.

Play well.

Joe

Joe

...Go to Radio Shack, find the drawers with individual LEDs for sale. Buy the 20 pack of misc. LEDs, most of which will be fine for a night golf application. The 20 pack runs $ 3 - 4. Walk right past the batteries and leave the store.

Go to a dollar store and pick up some coin sized batteries, they come in 3 packs in the store nearest me. Far more expensive at typical retail stores. 2016, or better yet 2032 are ideal...

This. I only tape on the top, but this is what I did, and I think I spent ten dollars to be able to play glow for the next several years.

brighter colored MVP glow discs are great if you have a UV flashlight because the core of the discs reflects the UV light like crazy. so if you can't spot the glowing ring you can always shine your UV light around and it'll reflect.

the LEDS are easier to see, and are cool to watch fly, but personally i prefer good ole fashioned glow. we play glow a lot during the winter on wooded courses with a lot of brush and rarely loose discs.

Those doing the battery/led thing: how do you store your batteries? I just had the batteries together in a bag and the LEDs in another bag, but the batteries seem to have figured out how to short eachother: they were all dead the second time I tried to use them.

So I know the glowfly is sought after because of it's superior glowing ability, what makes it glow so damn well and why can't any other companies replicate it?

Latest posts