• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

first experience with glow disc

Played my second glow round last night. I picked up a glow Valk, but didn't actually throw it for two reasons: I haven't had time to field test, and I was _so_ impressed by the behavior of the LED I'd attached to my Champ Glo CFR Teebird.

http://www.discgolfcenter.com/main_displayProduct.php?p=660

I used a red one, hoping it would be easy on my night vision - which it probably was. Very bright - could follow the flight of the disc well beyond the range of Glo. And, dead easy to find the disc. So easy that I didn't want to revert to the pure-Glo of the Valk.

Playing on a very simple, mostly wide-open course. And, with just the Teebird, and an Aviar for putts. But, had one of my best rounds ever. My first straight par round, on any course - even while missing one practically lay-in birdie putt.

The LED did seem to light up the Glow to some extent. Enough that I stopped using my UV flashlight. But, the LED package seemed very solidly attached with just a couple of pieces of clear packing tape. Admittedly, there were only a couple of tree hits - but, it seemed solid.

I wonder how the LED's will work with other discs - with the more opaque straight-Glow Valk. Or with non-glo champ discs. But, I am somehow reluctant to add tape to my usual discs.

The LED was easy enough to find that I'll be tempted to use it on my usual, much tougher course (more wooded, more hills, blind shots).

I have recently got into the night disc golfing. I have been trying multiple things, from glow disc to the small lights you can tape to your disc (which can be found on most sites). Honestly was very dissappointed with the glow Innovas as they never seem to really charge well. The UV light just charge them faster and you dont loose as much night vision. But when it comes down to it by the time i get to my disc the glow has worn off. So when ever i loose my throw off teebox or in high grass, i will probably loose my disc. I have now moved over to the tape on lights, i believe most sites call them F-LED. They have been the most helpful for multiple reasons. First i can use my regular disc i use for regular rounds, and as long as you dont bang them in trees or loose disc in water (if you double tape they will stay active if you have a good seal) they are very easy to find. They are very visible. The downside is you are out 1.50 to 3 bucks a light depending on type you use and site (claim to last around 20 hrs and they do turn on and off). And if you are not using a champion type of disc, you may have to use a light on top and bottom. My last round i had my favorite pro leopard flip twice after hitting trees and almost never found it. I would also recommond the Glow lights over the flashing/disco style as those do kind of bother you as you throw. They are very annoying. I will say out of the glow disc i do have. The best ones i have used for the glow is the MVP brand they light up well and hold their charges. The only issue is they are mostly putt and approach and midrange. Their driver is not made in glow yet.

I play a lot of glow rounds but only use glow discs. Since I play glow tournaments and you need the discs to be legit, I figured it would be a good idea to stock up and try to duplicate my regular day bag. So far, I have 20 glow discs, Firebird, Leopard, Archon, Stalker, Buzzz, Wizard, Nuke, TeeBird, Valkyrie, Ion, Sidewinder, Wraith, Zone, Starfire, Katana, and a few others. Lately, I've been using my glow bag during the day and have been playing better than when using my regular discs.

I use LEDs. Three tips:

For storing batteries: as was pointed out, they will short each other if just thrown in a bag. I got a short, round tupper ware container. I then got a large role of crepe paper streamer, and shoved it in the container. I shove the batteries in the streamer, which holds them in place, then put a ziplock bag full of my lights on top.

If you go to radio shack, you can buy some super cheap LEDs in backs of 20. However, they are not the brightest. They are great for midranges and putters, but can suck when you have a really far throw. I put the cheap LED's on most of my discs. However, you can buy two packs of blue LEDs for about $5. These are WAY brighter, and I put them on my long distance drivers.

Make sure you have at least one clear driver. Use this for overhand throws, rollers, going through the forest, or anything else that has a high probability of landing upside down.

This should come as no surprise. But, you know what? Glow rounds are harder in the woods!

I'm glad I attached my second LED to my glow Valk. It was definitely useful for several anhyzer shots. But, more to the point, after a few tree hits (and in near-freezing conditions), the LED on my Teebird came off. I was able to reattach it several times, with the same tape, but eventually (about halfway through the round) I gave up and switched to the Valk.

Sometime I should try a straight glow round, without the LED's. But, man, they make it easy to find the discs! Probably easier than during the day.

Try a different brand of tape. Make sure you tape it on when your disc and the tape is warm and dry. Use clear tape so that you can completely cover the light/battery (instead of using small strips opaque tape and leaving your setup peaking out where it can get caught on things). If done properly, you shouldn't have an issue of knocking your light off, no matter how hard you hit a tree. But it takes some trial and error to figure out how to do it right.

I am always amazed that I can play with some people who manage to never hit trees yet loose a light every other throw while I can hit a tree at least once a hole and never loose a light.

As far as tape goes you get what you pay for. Spend $8 and get clear scotch duct tape. It never comes off even in water. The best part is is leaves zero residue on your disc. Glow disc is better than day golf. Easier to find your plastic and nobody is around.

My first round ever at Flip City was a glow round and I enjoyed that round better then any other I've had there... honestly, I think I have more glow rounds at flip then daylight rounds

I love playing rugged, wooded courses at night...

The 51 LED UV flashlight works great for charging discs, finding discs and for navigating through trails with roots and rocks that just want to trip you up

If your disc loses it's charge by the time you get to it, you can just pan that 51 LED UV flashlight around and it will charge it up just enough to spot it.... I've nvr lost a glow disc yet regardless of blind shots or what have you...

Glow discin' is my preferred DG hands down

I tend to play better at night. If you can't see the trees, they don't get in your head.

The dynamic lights that switch on/off and look like a small silver band-aid are awesome! The LED light does a slow and quick strobe, steady on, and off. The light is so bright that when it's on quick strobe I damn near lose my night vision...but the slow strobe is great...can see it from just about anywhere. I highly recommend. You can get 10 for $20 bucks online (not on dynamic's website though...there they're 10 for $25...still not bad).

The dynamic lights that switch on/off and look like a small silver band-aid are awesome! The LED light does a slow and quick strobe, steady on, and off. The light is so bright that when it's on quick strobe I damn near lose my night vision...but the slow strobe is great...can see it from just about anywhere. I highly recommend. You can get 10 for $20 bucks online (not on dynamic's website though...there they're 10 for $25...still not bad).

If you've got Champ/Z (or other clear plastic) you can tape them on the underside...so the light-side is up. On Star plastic (or other opaque plastics) you can just tape them right to the top...not much change in flight characteristics.

Try a different brand of tape. Make sure you tape it on when your disc and the tape is warm and dry. Use clear tape so that you can completely cover the light/battery

I was with you on the "prepare inside" and "clear tape, completely covered".

How does your tape hold up over time? Do you reapply for each round?

Brand may be a factor - I was using some random clear packing tape, and will consider the Scotch Duct tape that someone else recommended. But, it's also true that the light with tree problems had been taped since Friday, for a Sunday round, and was on its 30th hole.

I tend to play better at night. If you can't see the trees, they don't get in your head.

There may be something to this. I did have probably my best drive ever on a fairly tight S curve of a hole - when I couldn't even make out all of the trees I was dodging. And, I had a couple of other definitely-above-average drives on tightly wooded holes.

But, trees caused me problems a couple of times on wooded approach shots. Cases where I'd forgotten, or just didn't know, that a gap had a bunch of smaller branches in it.

And, the rather darker environment on this wooded course may sometimes have caused depth perception issues that led me to overshoot (maybe always over, not under?) a couple of approaches and putts.

There may be something to this. I did have probably my best drive ever on a fairly tight S curve of a hole - when I couldn't even make out all of the trees I was dodging. And, I had a couple of other definitely-above-average drives on tightly wooded holes.

But, trees caused me problems a couple of times on wooded approach shots. Cases where I'd forgotten, or just didn't know, that a gap had a bunch of smaller branches in it.

And, the rather darker environment on this wooded course may sometimes have caused depth perception issues that led me to overshoot (maybe always over, not under?) a couple of approaches and putts.

I do tend to underestimate distances and leave putts shorter than normal in the dark.

So I know the glowfly is sought after because of it's superior glowing ability, what makes it glow so damn well and why can't any other companies replicate it?

I heard the glow material that DGA made the glowfly with doubled in price, so they just became to expensive to make (without making the disc super expensive).

Being a huge fan of night golf and the blowfly, I know I would pay top dollar for one...

I'd definitely choose LED over glow disc. If you haven't already, you should check out the Hole In One product by NiteIze. It's a permanently attached LED that sits halfway above/halfway below the flight plate of the disc, so the light shines brightly whether your disc lands upside down or rightside up. It never shuts off from hitting trees, and has a simple button press between on, off, and flash. The only downside to it is that it's permanent and leaves a small hole in the very middle of your disc. So choose your disc wisely. And I swear I don't work for the company. I just think it's a good light.

I love the hole-in-one, but I would recommend not using them on base line plastic. If you hit trees hard enough with baseline plastic the disc can taco enough to pop out the lite-pod. They work great on everything else and of course they are the best on clear plastic and glow discs.

Do you guys walk the course first to put glow bracelets/sticks on all the baskets, or wait till after you drive, then put a glow stick on it, or is there usually enough ambient light that you don't need to?

Do you guys walk the course first to put glow bracelets/sticks on all the baskets, or wait till after you drive, then put a glow stick on it, or is there usually enough ambient light that you don't need to?

I put a piece of reflective tape on the post of the basket behind the chains and use a flashlight to light it up before I throw. That way we dont have to walk down and put lights or glow sticks on the chains.

Latest posts