• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flip or Flex? What's in your bag?

Flip or Flex? What's in your bag?

• Total voters

TxDiscGolfBoy

* Ace Member *
Silver level trusted reviewer
There are plenty of ways to get more distance out of a drive you want and -- more often than not -- need to be HUGE!!!

Most common, and I think most would agree, are the Flex Shot and the Hyzer Flip.

Which one's in your bag???

For me...it's all flip baby!!!

I threw "other" in there because there are rollers to be accounted for.

Last edited:
Most of my discs are understable so I can get the hyzer flip. I use it because they get much more distance than the same discs thrown flat and can be thrown to where the disc flies straight for most of the flight path. Flex shots need a lot of room to work and that isn't an option in the woods that I play in most of the time.

Flip for me. I feel my game isn't where I want it to be and if I use flex shots I could become dependent on them and may even bring oat back into my throw.
I will admit that I have a low amount of snap and my flips have a hard time keepin up with the flex sometimes:(

Both are great shots, flex usually needs more ceiling, but it's an easier shot to learn.
A reliable hyzer flip usually takes more time to master, but it does go farther than any other shot I know.
A bad hyzer flip will show every flaw in form you ever thought you might have.

Flip, I can get my champ Roadrunner out around 320'.

Of course, I once rolled a Star Boss about 400', but all my rollers are accidental. It was supposed to have been a high sidearm flex, but it turned and never came out, just landed on edge and rolled.

Both are great shots, flex usually needs more ceiling, but it's an easier shot to learn.
A reliable hyzer flip usually takes more time to master, but it does go farther than any other shot I know.
A bad hyzer flip will show every flaw in form you ever thought you might have.

AAAAAAMEN!!! Haven't seen it in a while but I did throw my Valk out str8 down the chosen line with an h-flip(a really flippy valk) and it had so much OAT it looked like 2 discs flying the same line but about 1" apart. One flying on top of the other. It was quite wierd and a crappy crappy pull.

So I've seen these terms thrown around and I have no clue what they mean. Can someone explain? I tried to youtube "hyzer flip" and the video was horrible and useless.

I'm sort of interested because I'm assuming that when I tee off with my 150 Valk I'm hyzer flipping it. Not positive though. It starts out relatively straight, but then the left wing lifts and the disc shoot off to the right...it doesn't quite recover, but has a small fade at the end. Throwing this way gets me the most distance usually around 380, which is good for me.

a hyzer flip is when you release the disc at a hyzer angle, like this: / for RHBH, then it will "flip" over to be flat, like this: _, then fade out to the left like normal.

so all in all, it goes / - /

I flip for distance but sometimes an overstable driver in a tailwind flexed goes pretty damn far 2.

a hyzer flip is when you release the disc at a hyzer angle, like this: / for RHBH, then it will "flip" over to be flat, like this: _, then fade out to the left like normal.

Thanks for the info, looks like I was way off. I might have to try this if it will get me more D.

Not really.
Thats just a hyzer shot.

A hyzer flip travels in a dead straight line, like its attached to a zip line.

You release the disc with a hyzer angle and a ton of spin, it will flip to flat, then start to turn over to the other side, then come back to flat, before finishing with a normal fade.
Its the turning in both directions, like a plane dipping its wings, that prolongs the disc flight, similar to a flex shot, but much lower, and on a much straighter line.

Not really.
Thats just a hyzer shot.

A hyzer flip travels in a dead straight line, like its attached to a zip line.

You release the disc with a hyzer angle and a ton of spin, it will flip to flat, then start to turn over to the other side, then come back to flat, before finishing with a normal fade.
Its the turning in both directions, like a plane dipping its wings, that prolongs the disc flight, similar to a flex shot, but much lower, and on a much straighter line.

I wouldn't say that that is just a hyzer shot. It uses the same mechanics as the hyzer flip you describe, but it just fades a little earlier at the end. I have also heard that called a "flattened hyzer". I usually throw a flattened hyzer so I can get around obstacles that are far away, but there is a tunnel leading to that point. A hyzer in that situation wouldn't have the room to work, but a "flattened hyzer" or "hyzer flip" does.