• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

flurry of Pendleton King Park reviews

How many more 5 star reviews are needed to make it the best course in the world?

Scarpfish

But---the write-up just ahead of that had a list too, yet you didn't :thmbup: that. Your criteria are variable, aren't they? :rolleyes:

Let's see---for PK, in the last month: 13 reviews, 10 of which are 1 course played/1 course reviewed. :\ Rotten peaches, indeed.

How many more 5 star reviews are needed to make it the best course in the world?

Assuming no changes to the existing best course in the world, or any sub 5 reviews for PK...1,513.

And before anyone asks, yes, I actually calculated that.

But---the write-up just ahead of that had a list too, yet you didn't :thmbup: that. Your criteria are variable, aren't they? :rolleyes:
I honestly don't have that much of a criteria. If a reviewer looks like they applied themselves and tried to present an original perspective, I give them the up thumb, if they look like they just slopped it together in 30 seconds to manipulate the course's rating, the down thumb. If I'm on the fence about that, I just leave it alone.

Let's see---for PK, in the last month: 13 reviews, 10 of which are 1 course played/1 course reviewed. :\ Rotten peaches, indeed.
Its almost as if they don't know we're onto them isn't it?

Its almost as if they don't know we're onto them isn't it?

definitely don't. but if they did, im not sure they would care.

i doubt theyre coming back to the site to check how many thumbs theyre getting and for all the discussion, theyre not stopping.

at the same time seeds are being planted and people are probably reading this thread and planning out how to bump up their own course and perhaps how to be less conspicuous about it.

I never really paid attention to this thread but just read some of the recent reviews of PK and several of the recent reviews indicate the reviewers have only played 1 course so it maybe a 5 star to them. The ambiguity lies in a couple of the recent reviewers noting that they have played several courses locally but only note in there profile they have played PK. I have not played PK since 2007 or 2008 and I really liked it but I would have thought 2.5 - 3.5 would have been the consistent rating but a recent review reflects 5 stars. I liked all of the holes especially the azalea hole by the road but did not understood the hole with the fairway going over the fence with water in play (#16 maybe, this hole may be gone now). I am curious what the same reviewers would rate the WR Jackson course. It is positive that locals are taking pride in there local course but having read the reviews it sounds like Donald Trump discussing one of his properties.

I'm of the opinion that reviews shouldn't count towards a course's overall rating until a reviewer has at least 3 reviews done. That would eliminate a LOT of the hit n run 5.0's.

Disclaimer--I have not played PK. When the flurry of PK reviews started, the ratings smelled like dead fish. I then looked at the course map, photos, etc. Nothing jumped out as spectacular.

All of the PK photos were recently updated. What a positive change, particularly the tee areas. Fast Eddie (or whatever his name is) has done a fantastic rehab of the course. Perhaps these bloated PK reviews are intended as high-fives for Fast Eddie. Based solely on the new photos, reviews in the 3.5 disc area do not seem out-of-line.

I never really paid attention to this thread but just read some of the recent reviews of PK and several of the recent reviews indicate the reviewers have only played 1 course so it maybe a 5 star to them. \.

yeah but how likely is that? i think it's pretty obvious that they signed up just to review it, and then did that, never filling out their profile or courses played and likely never to return

I'm of the opinion that reviews shouldn't count towards a course's overall rating until a reviewer has at least 3 reviews done. That would eliminate a LOT of the hit n run 5.0's.

ive been thinking about that. some sort of level lower than trusted, call it scored reviewer, that requires somewhere in the neighborhood of maybe 3-5 reviews and maybe 5-10 thumbs

the problem is going to be that some courses will get knocked down to 1 or two reviews, which will make some rankings less accurate.

its a balance, because if pendleton hadnt had a bunch of very low reviews a few years ago, it might already be in the top ten in georgia.

a similar mass reviewing of a course that had fewer reviews to start with could really put joe average course into the ranks of one of the best in its state easily

very cool!

I heard about this thread from one of my friends. I have been playing 15+ yrs and have played well over a hundred courses (indluding Stoney Hill; Greetings Sauls brothers). I live on the Pendleton King course off hole 2 and have been astounded by how good the course has come along in 3-4 months.

Augusta doesn't use DG Course review. You can tell by the very few reviews until recently w/ comments like "Lake O. is missing baskets" which we solved a year ago. A lot of the locals maybe new to DG Course review but not new to Disc Golf.

I love dgcoursereview and look to it as good way to see what improvements a course need. Many people said the P.K. course needs new signs, new tee pads, better flow, etc. A lot of these have been solved. So i thought it was time to update the reviews. I never thought that so many people would rate it. So i will post something on our facebook page to not rate it.

Just an example of where we are w/ technology. I have played many a private course and the owner tells me to rate it 5 stars. I don't think that we would fault him (Not talking about the Sauls). With Facebook it went viral and i agree it got out of control.

My name is Michael Heaberlin i live on PK and will buy anyone a beer who didn't have fun playing P.K. because of our reviews our simply to welcome you the new P.K.

Any questions please message me. Also, i hope the good in this is more Augusta people use DG course review.
I now have to meet Michael & play this course! What an offer! :thmbup: :clap:

Disclaimer--I have not played PK. When the flurry of PK reviews started, the ratings smelled like dead fish. I then looked at the course map, photos, etc. Nothing jumped out as spectacular.

All of the PK photos were recently updated. What a positive change, particularly the tee areas. Fast Eddie (or whatever his name is) has done a fantastic rehab of the course. Perhaps these bloated PK reviews are intended as high-fives for Fast Eddie. Based solely on the new photos, reviews in the 3.5 disc area do not seem out-of-line.

I somewhat agree with you.

It's been fun poking all these Augusta, one-course reviewers for their homerism attitudes towards PK. But, wouldn't it be ironic (yes, I used it correctly) if this actually turns out to be a great course? The true test will be when out-of-towners and/or more objective reviews start popping up for this course.

ive been thinking about that. some sort of level lower than trusted, call it scored reviewer, that requires somewhere in the neighborhood of maybe 3-5 reviews and maybe 5-10 thumbs

the problem is going to be that some courses will get knocked down to 1 or two reviews, which will make some rankings less accurate.

its a balance, because if pendleton hadnt had a bunch of very low reviews a few years ago, it might already be in the top ten in georgia.

a similar mass reviewing of a course that had fewer reviews to start with could really put joe average course into the ranks of one of the best in its state easily

I guess the other downside if that you could end up getting people coming in and dropping one line reviews on 3-5 courses instead of just 1.

I guess the other downside if that you could end up getting people coming in and dropping one line reviews on 3-5 courses instead of just 1.

true. but i dont think nearly as many would do that. the guy that runs their local course asks them to go online and give it a review..a bunch do.

he asks them to also review 3-5 other courses, and a lot fewer of them do it. it increases the effort threshold.

the ones that would put in the effort to actually review other courses are likely the ones that actually put in some effort into their PK review.

not a perfect solution. if people are dedicated to manipulating rankings, they'll find a way. and i'm not saying that there aren't drawbacks, but raising the effort required to get a review that affects the score is one idea.

another would be. reviewers who have some threshold, say 80% of their total thumbs are down, than none of their reviews count towards the scores

but im just spitballing here.

Digging slightly deeper, it's interesting to see how much PK's rating changes based on the number of reviews a person has written. Presently, there are 35 reviews and an overall 3.53 rating. Now, when I filter the reviews, only by changing the 'reviewed' tab, here's what I get:
1+ review - 35 reviews, 3.53 rating
2+ reviews - 26 reviews, 2.92 rating
3+ reviews - 24 reviews, 2.77 rating
4+ reviews - 20 reviews, 2.63 rating
5+ reviews - 19 reviews, 2.58 rating

I don't know if this really amounts to anything, or if it's really that much different from any other course's hometown biased rating. Still, it's pretty interesting that by filtering a small number (5), the course's overall rating drops by nearly a whole point. To be fair, with 5+ reviewed reviewers, you only get three reviews from the past year, during the whole redesign phase.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...18688806.56825.172386092771499&type=1&theater

IDGC just posted this, just to give you an idea that at least the locals know what the good courses are :) I just would hate if someone drove all the way to Augusta to only play PK and was disappointed but I assume with 2 disc golf complexes and great courses like Lake Olmstead, they will figure out where to play. (It's not Pendelton King just FYI)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...18688806.56825.172386092771499&type=1&theater

IDGC just posted this, just to give you an idea that at least the locals know what the good courses are :) I just would hate if someone drove all the way to Augusta to only play PK and was disappointed but I assume with 2 disc golf complexes and great courses like Lake Olmstead, they will figure out where to play. (It's not Pendelton King just FYI)

Well said. Your comments carry more weight than the rest of ours, seeing how you live in Augusta and actually know these courses.

Just tell your fellow Augustans to simmer down on the PK love.

Probably should be noted for the record that the magazine is for Columbia County. The city of Augusta, and therefore Pendleton King, is not in Columbia County.

Probably should be noted for the record that the magazine is for Columbia County. The city of Augusta, and therefore Pendleton King, is not in Columbia County.

Riverview's in North Augusta, SC ... but made the list.

Riverview's in North Augusta, SC ... but made the list.

The list encompasses the CSRA, which includes Richmond, Columbia, and Aiken County. It's probably not the most accurate thing, more of a propaganda magazine but still interesting as it pertains to this conversation. Heartman, did you end up playing PKP while in town recently? I am curious to see your review.......

Last edited:

Latest posts