• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

flurry of Pendleton King Park reviews

Would anyone here consider a dog park an amenity for a disc golf course? I know dog owners who don't think they're an amenity for dogs.

Not to second guess any of the posters to this thread, I can think of a situation where a dog park, or a playground, or nature trails, or a Korean War tank to climb on (like the one at PKP), WOULD be an amenity to a disc course.

A dad visiting Augusta with his two kids, 16 and 11 years old, and their Irish Setter. Dad wants to play some of the courses in the area, but doesn't want to leave his kids or dog with the EX. What will he do? Pick a 4.5 star course that has nothing for his kids to do, while he throws; so he just drags them around the most awesome course ever, knowing they are not having any fun. Or will he choose a 2.5 star course where his kids will have a playground, a dog park for the pooch, and other things for them to do, yet still be close to Dad.

I think the playground and the dog park will win out every time.

Before the flood of comments come rolling in, YES, the dad is being selfish for wanting to throw disc golf in the first place. Also, this is a totally hypothetical situation, my kids are 28 and 23 and I've only been playing disc golf for a little over two years; but the scenario seems totally possible to me.

Just out of curiosity, did you ask your guide if they would be willing to slow down a bit? My experience at Stoney Hill (and that of several other people whose opinions I trust) was quite the opposite. Our host was accomodating, friendly, and willing to play at the pace we were going including when we wanted to take multiple shots off of the elevated tees or on the water shots. I suppose it's possible that his pace and our pace happened to match up perfectly, but that seems unlikely. It might be worth considering that your guide was simply trying not to slow you down knowing that you were behind your own personal schedule or that he was trying to give you the chance to socialize within your group by giving you space.

Either way, you are of course welcome to your opinion. Mine is that the course itself stands as a layout that's worthy of a high rating and that the guiding isn't something that affects that either way (if it did, that would have bumped Stoney Hill up to a 5 for me but it's not something I take into account to come up with a numerical rating).

No, we did not ask our guide to slow down, we were on his turf, taking up his time. I was in no position to ask anything more of them. They were gracious enough to allow us on the property and sample their course. I simply felt rushed, which caused my game to suffer, and that is on me, not Chris or David. I did not want to write a review that reflected any of that, so I wrote no review. For the record, my opinion is; the course itself is really awesome.
One of the better ones I have ever played. I am very grateful to have gotten to play Stoney Hill.

The point of all of this is simply that everything affects one's opinion, and so you get over inflated ratings of a so so course in a pristine atmosphere, such as PKP.

Not to second guess any of the posters to this thread, I can think of a situation where a dog park, or a playground, or nature trails, or a Korean War tank to climb on (like the one at PKP), WOULD be an amenity to a disc course.

A dad visiting Augusta with his two kids, 16 and 11 years old, and their Irish Setter. Dad wants to play some of the courses in the area, but doesn't want to leave his kids or dog with the EX. What will he do? Pick a 4.5 star course that has nothing for his kids to do, while he throws; so he just drags them around the most awesome course ever, knowing they are not having any fun. Or will he choose a 2.5 star course where his kids will have a playground, a dog park for the pooch, and other things for them to do, yet still be close to Dad.

I think the playground and the dog park will win out every time.

Before the flood of comments come rolling in, YES, the dad is being selfish for wanting to throw disc golf in the first place. Also, this is a totally hypothetical situation, my kids are 28 and 23 and I've only been playing disc golf for a little over two years; but the scenario seems totally possible to me.

The correct answer here is obviously to have your kids so well trained that they know better to complain about going discing, then play the IDGC course of your choice

The ultimate niner?

Didn't feel like starting a new thread for this but, this review caught my attention: 9 in the Pines

Didn't feel like starting a new thread for this but, this review caught my attention: 9 in the Pines
b-rad pulling a drive-by.

I was thinking: would a 9 holer ever deserve a 5? It would have to be pretty spectacular: cover every type of shot, have amenities, accessible yet isolated. I think a new thread might be needed, but lets jack this PKP one, cuz it's reviews are jacked.

It's the quantity and persistence of the PK reviewers that make it special.

Seem to be a lot of lame 5 disc reviews lately. Even for courses that are legit. Tis' the season I guess.

The correct answer here is obviously to have your kids so well trained that they know better to complain about going discing, then play the IDGC course of your choice

The correct answer is (IMO) that the amenities of a park, disc golf course aside, CAN be a determining factor in one's decision to play or not to play a course.

The correct answer is (IMO) that the amenities of a park, disc golf course aside, CAN be a determining factor in one's decision to play or not to play a course.

Edit: These amenities should not, however, raise or lower the rating of the course itself.

Edit: These amenities should not, however, raise or lower the rating of the course itself.

Now we're on the same page. They belong in the "Other Comments" section, which is where I usually support my Pros and Cons, and provide other relevant info. I agree that those things are nice to know about, but this isn't CityParkReview, it's DiscGolfCourseReview, and it's the course I want reviewers to concentrate on, and to review. I don't care how clean and friendly PKP is, there is no way that any unbiased, reasonable person should be rating it over a 4.

I believe I've listed things in "pros", and probably "cons", that did not affect my rating.

I'm not writing the review to justify the rating---but to describe the course to potential visitors. So I might mention whatever features might matter to someone else. That may go well beyond the features that affected my rating. I'm not sure it would go as far a a dog park, but I think I mentioned a great, and I mean great, playground in a review once.

9 in the Pines: Nope, not a 5

Concerning 9 in the Pines (I literally just happened to read the review right before I clicked on this thread) I am one of the few who have played it. It's a nice little 9-holer that plays in a pretty setting among some pine trees. It has 2 holes that are more or less completely open, with the other 7 in the woods. It looks like a lot of clearing has been done in the woods, but most holes are still short and are easy to achieve par (3's for all but one par 4).

Also, there's no real amenities that can be accounted for or a "clean" factor that I noticed. Maybe the people are friendly there?

Either way, I can't wait to review it and see what thumb B-rad decides to give me.

I believe I've listed things in "pros", and probably "cons", that did not affect my rating.

I'm not writing the review to justify the rating---but to describe the course to potential visitors. So I might mention whatever features might matter to someone else. That may go well beyond the features that affected my rating. I'm not sure it would go as far a a dog park, but I think I mentioned a great, and I mean great, playground in a review once.

I totally agree with this. I put things in my pros and cons that don't actually change the rating. I think they're things that are worth noting and are either positive or negative features about the course, they just don't actually factor into how I rate the course. Things like signage, navigation, pro shops, practice areas etc. fall into that category for me. A specific example is a desert course I played where almost every tee was placed where there was shade available. I thought that was a really nice touch so I included it in the pros for the course, but it's not something I would boost a rating for.

Regardless of whether or not it affects my rating, some things worth noting are pros, some are cons, and some seem to fit better in other thoughts... I try to put them in the section they fit into best.

Regardless of whether or not it affects my rating, some things worth noting are pros, some are cons, and some seem to fit better in other thoughts... I try to put them in the section they fit into best.

true, although depending on the structure and what other topics are being talked about, the same feature could be in pros in one review and other in another

Perhaps those clear treeless greens are so dazzling they offset the remaining flaws.