• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"Flutter" in my throws

sillybizz

Course bagger and Bjork super fan
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
I have tried many different things from the suggestion of many different people to get the disc to come out clean with no "flutter". It happens on drives and upshots alike. I have tried snapping my wrist, different grips, etc. over the past six months. I have gotten a little bit out with no idea how but because of this problem I can only drive a little over 300 feet. I am a big guy (6-2 and 250 pounds) and I am strong but not agile at all. My thinking is my body type is contributing to this somehow. Any thoughts?

I have tried many different things from the suggestion of many different people to get the disc to come out clean with no "flutter". It happens on drives and upshots alike. I have tried snapping my wrist, different grips, etc. over the past six months. I have gotten a little bit out with no idea how but because of this problem I can only drive a little over 300 feet. I am a big guy (6-2 and 250 pounds) and I am strong but not agile at all. My thinking is my body type is contributing to this somehow. Any thoughts?

I don't think it has anything to do with body type. I am 6-3 and I weight 280, and I don't have this problem. My friend who is 5-10 and 150lbs has the flutter problem. I think it comes when you try to let go of the disc, Vs just letting the disc rip out of your hand. Also, on my approach shots, I only use two fingers, and it works better for me for shots 100ft to 30ft.

One thing I will recommend is spend some time in an open field and throw, throw, throw. Throw till it feels right to you.

My sidearms often do this when I do a run up, but not when I throw them from a standstill, but I never do it backhand. I'm 6'3" and weigh about 265 currently, and have some shoulder and elbow problems from my years of throwing a baseball. I've tried all different kinds of grips throwing sidearm, and get the same thing no matter what. I'm pretty sure I'm doing it because I'm rotating my hand as I release, causing some OAT, but I rotate my hand to keep from killing my elbow.

Based on advice I read here and on DGR I spent a lot of time in the practice field throwing nothing but putters. At first all they did was flutter and dive right, but the more I threw them the more I was able to control them and get them to hold different lines. It took my putter distance from 150' to 250' in a couple months, and added more than 50' to my max distance while greatly increasing my control and consistency.

As bikinjack witnessed yesterday I get osme flutter on some of my shots also. It usually happens to me on approach shots if I try to throw very soft and get the nose up on the disc, or on other shots when I have bad form and get a real bad release. I'd second the field practice and throwing putter idea. When I do that if smooths out my form and usually improves my game. Putters are not forgiving so your errors will be very obvious.

I'll try throwing putters in a field, that's something I haven't tried yet. I started throwing drives in the field once a week for the past couple of months and it's really helped with control and probably added 10-20 feet of distance. Thanks.

Yeah I am 6'2" 295, I have not had that problem since I started playing a few years ago. I am not really sure what is making the disc do that, maybe you are flicking your fingers at the release or kind of flicking the disc and lifting up with your fingers. IDK, just a guess.

I'll try throwing putters in a field, that's something I haven't tried yet. I started throwing drives in the field once a week for the past couple of months and it's really helped with control and probably added 10-20 feet of distance. Thanks.

One major thing throwing putters will do is keep you from rolling your wrist over on your throwing motion. Many people roll their palm upward as they release to compensate for the face of faster and more overstable discs. If you do that with a putter you'll just turn it over into the ground, so you have to learn to maintain the same plane all the way through the throw.

Based on advice I read here and on DGR I spent a lot of time in the practice field throwing nothing but putters. At first all they did was flutter and dive right, but the more I threw them the more I was able to control them and get them to hold different lines. It took my putter distance from 150' to 250' in a couple months, and added more than 50' to my max distance while greatly increasing my control and consistency.

I'm going to have to try this again. Which discs did you use? I have a putter that flutters on me (Champ Aviar PnA) and another that doesn't at all (Soft Banger GT). I've been thinking of buying a Comet just for this since I've read in another thread it's good for this.

I've tried before, but I've never been patient enough to stick with it. I'd just start throwing mids and drivers and put down the putters in the field.

The thing that gets frustrating is I don't know what I should try to do differently when I'm out there. Do you know what you changed to be successful? How is your form different now for having done the field work?

Oh, I see. The smartypants DGR/Linux guys have nothing to say to help this poor gent.

Stick tour throwing arm out. See how your wrist is resting like your shaking hands? Now maintain that position- don't let your thumb nuckle go higher than that wrist bone.

One major thing throwing putters will do is keep you from rolling your wrist over on your throwing motion. Many people roll their palm upward as they release to compensate for the face of faster and more overstable discs. If you do that with a putter you'll just turn it over into the ground, so you have to learn to maintain the same plane all the way through the throw.

Yes I have this problem with putters, BAD. I also try to throw them hard too, I have little finesse to my game, even my putts are turbo style and I try to take the basket down when the disc hits the chains. :)

My friend had this problem when throwing sidearm. Might be not be the same cause but he threw overstable discs really really fast, but never had enough snap, so they were spinning to slow for the speed they were traveling.

Posting a vid would get you the best feedback. Flutter is typically either too much arm speed and not enough snap, or you are not getting a clean release. Are you throwing FH or BH?

For too much arm speed, try slowing your pull from the reach back, really slow, and make sure you keep the disc close to your chest and lead with the elbow past the shoulders, and then explode. You can also try using the bent elbow technique.

For clean release, make sure your grip and wrist orientation is correct. It could be your wrist rolling over. Don't let go of the disc, you want to grip it as hard as you can at the hit and the disc will rip out of the hand. Don't grip it too hard on the reachback and into the pull because the wrist can't flex and snap.

thats really interesting. I'm 6'1" and 180 and have had very few flutter issues. I did have some, but thew worked themselves our for some reason. I'd second trying to let it rip. and just keep throwing.

If you're going ot practice driving with a putter I would suggest a stable or over stable putter. I have used a Wizard and a Challenger and they are both good. That way you can throw it fairly hard and not turn it over. I have been tinkering with putters as drivers for months and keep getting better results with my Wizard. If my form is bad I turn it over and run it into the ground just like an earlier post said.

Letting go too soon

I used to have the same problem (still do occasionally). I found out (it applies mainly to sidearm throws) that when I released my grip before I let go of it, that the flutter happened. By allowing the disc to rip out of the hand, this doesn't continue. So I would suggest keeping a good grip until the disc leaves your hand. Good luck.

Make sure you have the disc and your arm in the same plane. There is an example of that here.

That makes sense since my grips with my Wizards suck. I can putt all day with them but can't get a good grip on drives and approaches. YET.

It's in your grip. When you are releasing the disc, it is "dragging" out of your hand, causing the oscillation. Tweak your grip until you find something comfortable, it may take a while. I had the same issue when I threw RHFH, now all I throw is LHBH and RHBH.