• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

for those dedicated to rocs or buzzzes

If you're dedicated to the roc or buzzz, do you still carry other midranges in your bag?

• Yes

Votes: 70 69.3%
  • No

Votes: 31 30.7%

• Total voters
I don't know if it's as much Discpeed like the Buzz. I think he knows the Buzz really, really well. I'm sure if he spend a couple of years with Rocs, he'd know them just as well.

The same with me; I am really, really feel confident with a Roc when my throw is clicking. When I'm needing to play a full Roc arsenal (normally on a wooded course), I feel like I can throw them on a lot of lines other people don't know how to throw. And that has more to do with my familiarity with my midrange then it does the actual disc.

Something else Blake posted recently mentioned how disc minimalism can limit the number of shots you can throw. For me, I don't feel like I'm limited in my line selection by throwing only Rocs. Which is really the heart of the original topic: Do you feel limited in lines by your midrange selection?

Furthur said:
I don't know if it's as much Discpeed like the Buzz. I think he knows the Buzz really, really well. I'm sure if he spend a couple of years with Rocs, he'd know them just as well.

The same with me; I am really, really feel confident with a Roc when my throw is clicking. When I'm needing to play a full Roc arsenal (normally on a wooded course), I feel like I can throw them on a lot of lines other people don't know how to throw. And that has more to do with my familiarity with my midrange then it does the actual disc.

Something else Blake posted recently mentioned how disc minimalism can limit the number of shots you can throw. For me, I don't feel like I'm limited in my line selection by throwing only Rocs. Which is really the heart of the original topic: Do you feel limited in lines by your midrange selection?

Agreed 100%. I was just stating that Discspeed is the only "Buzzz guy" who has actually educated me at all about why he legitimately preferred the Buzzz over the Roc after having thrown both a good amount. Not just because its what he started with, or he ''baseline plastic sucks, and star Rocs are too pricey". Which are the main reasons people give me when I ask them locally.

Rocs are my #1 choice but I love trying other mids. I am more likely to buy a different mid mold than a new driver or putter.
I like throwing mids and there are so many good ones. So I may have a Comet, Buzz (or two) or Squall in my bag too.
I love the Star Ontario Roc I have as well as the new Star Sanny. In fact that could be a good mid combo.
My point is that there are so many good mids these days. If you want to go minimal fine, if you like a 2 or 3 mold mid game cool. Both ways work.
I bought a Mako just because I was bored at work. Will is go in my bag? Yes. Always in my bag? Probably not.
If I was forced to go one way I would go with the 3 stages of DX Ranchos.
Roc, Buzz; both good.

The only beef I have with the Roc vs Buzz argument is it's made out like A roc does everything while you need other discs to go with a buzz. Truth is, neither one does everything when you're talking about a single disc. However, if you mention mold, it's a little different. For me, I have no reason for a mid as overstable as a roc. When you get up there in power, it's not as overstable, but a buzz will handle less power and just go straight. If you have more power, you can move up in weight and throw with some hyzer for a buzz or throw a roc.

I think for those that throw rocs, they supplement 1 roc with 2 others in different stages of wear. For those with a buzz, they may have something heavier (I have a 167g X and a Crystal). I do have a nice stiff san marino roc I'll try out sometime, but not until my form is a bit more consistent.

Right now I'm carrying a couple Ranchos in seasoned condition, a mid-170's Ontario in newish condition, and another Ontario at 170 that's a little more worn. One of the Ranchos is an '06 pumpkin, and it's beefier than the other Rancho enough to distinguish itself. I think I'd feel a little dishonest saying, "I just carry Rocs" if the implication was that I just carry one kind of mid, they're different. (It is convenient that the molds are as similar as they are though) :)

Furthur said:

Disc golf is a very individual game. Every bit of your personality and psychology is expressed through your game in one way or another. Disc choice is part of that expression. My style is the way I have gravitated since learning this game based on what options I saw available and how my personality adapted to those options. These are the things that came easily and naturally to me. They are the skills I was motivated to master above all else. The things that a Buzzz is best at just happened to be the way I've always wanted to play the game. I love throwing low and straight with a little pop. I like to throw near flat. I will often choose a dead straight line over a hyzer. The most beautiful shot to me is a straight line, no turn, no fade. When I'm playing for score I sometimes have to override the way I naturally want to play the shot and choose a hyzer or a flex shot based on probability of outcomes and mistake forgiveness, etc. When I'm just playing for Zen or whatever you want to call it is when my true style comes out the most. In this respect everyone is different.

hey so I see this thread went from 1+ pages to 4 pages while I was playing some night golf. Who got into the Roc V Buzz debate? Without bothering to read I'm going to guess Discspeed, Jesse, and maybe Black Udder or Keltic.

Someone tell me if I'm right.

Frank Delicious said:
hey so I see this thread went from 1+ pages to 4 pages while I was playing some night golf. Who got into the Roc V Buzz debate? Without bothering to read I'm going to guess Discspeed, Jesse, and maybe Black Udder or Keltic.

i was just passing through when.........i was ambushed!

i carry rocs but got a champ gator in a player's pack a few months ago and it's been in the bag ever since.

Frank Delicious said:

I was referenced more often then I posted and I never said anything about either the Roc or Buzzz being better than the other. I refused to be baited. :mrgreen:

~Little thread drift~ Has anyone else noticed that an esp wasp flies just like a new kc roc (I would have no fear throwing an esp wasp into a strong head wind)? I also never found a use for z wasps becuase I they always fly just like a new buzzz.

gator said:
~Little thread drift~ Has anyone else noticed that an esp wasp flies just like a new kc roc (I would have no fear throwing an esp wasp into a strong head wind)? I also never found a use for z wasps becuase I they always fly just like a new buzzz.

I got two different colors when they came out and they flew like two completely different discs. I kind of wrote them off after that...and now I believe they're OOP, but I may be mistaken.

Jsw said:
*sigh*

You were the first one in this thread who felt the need to stick up for your poor wittle Buzzz :lol:

the unwrinkled ear said:
abcd said:
I imagine the poll results will be skewed as the majority of buzz throwers carry something for overstable needs while most roc throwers just carry rocs. At least that's my experience.

hmm, i carry buzzzs and just use heavier z buzzzes with hyzer for more overstable needs. the only time i consider other mids is for understable turns (i dont get a decent S out of a buzzz at all- it just goes wherever i throw it)

This guys post bothered you(it struck some deep Buzzz insecurity nerve) so much that you felt the need to quote him and share with the class that "Hey my Buzzz can do that too!". :mrgreen: And now you're going after Jessie and calling him insecure? :shock:

Discspeed is who I go to on here about Buzzz knowledge - He prefers the Buzzz but at least acknowledges the fact that the Roc is more stable and can wear more hats. Just like I totally agree(concede :lol: ) with his analysis that the Buzzz flies like a Roc that is in the "sweet spot", as well as having some other slight advantages(mainly low ceiling distance).

But let me get this straight Unwrinkled, you use a "heavier buzzz" for "overstable mid duties"(When I think overstable wind-killer I think Buzzz too!)? And only feel the need to supplement your beat Buzzz with something less stable :shock:

Sounds kind of crazy to me, but then again - so do "Power Balance magnet bracelets" :lol:

*edit* Yes, this thread is now officially at the "event horizon" of turning into another black hole Roc VS. Buzzz shit storm. :mrgreen:

do you have some bone to pick with me? christ, all i was interested in was if people who were dedicated to a midrange mold carried other mids. i chose the roc because i know it's popular and people are dedicated to it.

you say you trust discspeed b/c he is the only one that acknowledges that a roc is more stable. i've got no problem acknowledging that - it's exactly why i don't throw it.

i have no idea what your problem is with the fact that i use heavier buzzes with hyzer when i want something overstable. did i mention something about using a buzz being for wind? no. you did. why, i have no idea.

and youre shocked that i might use a more understable mid ocassionally - i don't get why.

not only that, apparently i need to be ridiculed me when i let other people know that i throw heavier z buzzes with hyzer when i want more overstability. cuz nobody on these forums ever lets other people know what they throw in various situations, no, no, no they don't.

here's something to chew on jsw: while you've been gnawing at a raven's leg in the mid-atlantic states, i've played disc golf in hungary, italy, austria, czech republic and germany this year. :D
and i'll be playing again in austria in december.
do you even have a passport? (the one to the bottom of the lake where your discs are doesn't count) :lol: