• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Found Disc ?

You found the disc and you tried to return the disc. Do what you gotta do.

People act like plastic discs are somehow sacred objects that exist in a different continuum of space time than other objects. Folks have been finding artifacts for as long as people have been leaving artifacts and making profits off the found items. You think every arrowhead collector donates the found Indian artifacts to a local tribe or museum? Not a chance. It's easy to act altruistic and holier than thou when posting on a message board and telling other people what to do.

Blah blah blah poppycock!

Wow, what a connection made here. Let me throw this out, if a buried DX Disc was found 1000 years from now, do we go back into the records and find the descendant of the phone number on the disc? That would be a good comparison. Watch the movie Pulp Fiction, I am thinking this thread is quickly turning into a discussion they had in the movie about ball parks, leagues, and sports.

Nothing is going to be solved here because we all have varying definitions of what ownership is and how it is transferred, especially since we are only talking about a 5-20 dollar piece of plastic. Ultimately you need to do what you feel is right by you and the (previous) owner of the disc.

That last disc I found had a name and number on it, but no one from the number ever attempted to call me back. A couple weeks later out on the same course I bumped into a couple guys looking for a disc they had lost the week before. I asked what it was and it happened to be the same mold, just a different color. It wasn't theirs, but I offered them the disc anyway since I wouldn't throw it.

As long as you make an attempt to get it back to them I see no reason not to do what you want with it if they put no effort in to get it back. Give them 2-3 weeks just in case they have something important going on, but if they can't take 5 minutes to call you back then they clearly don't care enough about it to matter. /shrug

Really at some point you have to draw the line. I think you did enough. Returning a disc shouldnt have to be something that troubles you that much. You tried, he never responded back. It's up to the owner to get the disc back from you if he really wanted it.

Really at some point you have to draw the line. I think you did enough. Returning a disc shouldnt have to be something that troubles you that much. You tried, he never responded back. It's up to the owner to get the disc back from you if he really wanted it.

I agree with you on this. I get alot of discs from people at the park (walkers, etc.) that know I play. (I work for the local parks and rec dept).
I'll post them on the local sites, call the #'s, leave at front office for them to pick up at their convenience, etc.
Those discs eventually end up collecting dust, and after 90 days, I give them to kids.

I attempt contact. If made I try to arrange meeting. Fortunately a local store hosts lost&found, so I can dump them there and inform owner where it's at. Most non-ink or disconnected numbers discs go to less fortunate and newbies :D

65+ Discs that were refused to be picked up were Donated to a person in Fredricksburg VA that is hosting a Disabled Veterans Game.

1004605_10151700168134909_1371717955_n.jpg

How my returns look like in my car every month, average 1400 discs a year. Both lower boxes and the loose discs above the cardboard box are returns "this pic was from last month".

1146185_10151749975024909_1282063174_o.jpg

Nice find on the Listerine. The owner will be happy to get that back.

Figured someone would ask about why the golden retriever looks weird not about the Listerine lol. Listerine is there to sooth any bites from chiggers I come across while digging out someones hope and dreams.

I'll bite...why does the golden retriever look weird?

I'll guess that it just adds weight to it.

Yeap. Only real one spot on the retriever that the disc wont touch. The added weight allows you to use thicker longer line, I throw that one with 100ft of paracord. The extra weight also allows it to dig deeper, no more bouncing over discs in water that has soft mud bottom.

It has two on each side with added nylon lock nuts. Thread locker and the factory nuts dont work to well in water.

86090l.jpg

Yeap. Only real one spot on the retriever that the disc wont touch. The added weight allows you to use thicker longer line, I throw that one with 100ft of paracord. The extra weight also allows it to dig deeper, no more bouncing over discs in water that has soft mud bottom.

It has two on each side with added nylon lock nuts. Thread locker and the factory nuts dont work to well in water.

86090l.jpg

I've been curious how well those work in general.. I've pictured it as sort of like a day of fishing for plastic... There are a couple lakes at one course I know the disc would be biting...

Found a disc on Aug 24th, I sent a picture from the course and got a response from him wanting the disc back. I was out of the country from Aug 27-2 Sept. I have texted him several times since the 2nd looking to meet and give him the disc back.

How long do I keep trying until I take ownership. (I would plan to sell it rather than throw it.) Don't want to sell it and have him come calling back.

LE Z Drone if it matters any.

You've made positive contact, IMO it's up to whomever lost the disc now. (FWIW, after positive contact or a few attempts, I stop trying to make contact.) When this has happened to me, I'll give it a few weeks and then consider the disc mine. I never keep a found disc. Just to avoid any complications, if I like a foundling I'll purchase a new one like it and give the foundling away.

Many years ago I had an incident where I purchased a used disc and later had someone else try to claim it as theirs. (It probably was theirs at one time.) When I offered to sell it for what I had paid, it almost came to blows. Some people are just nuts and it's not worth the trouble for a piece of plastic.

My typical take is this, and I honestly don't mean to sound like a d*ck:

I leave a message right after I find the disc, and another one within a week of finding it. I then wait a week and if I haven't received any response, I consider the disc officially lost by that person.

Two weeks is more than enough time to respond if you really want your disc back.

I also believe the burden of picking up the disc lies on the person that lost it, not the person that found it. I'm not going to go way out of my way and inconvenience myself for a disc that you gave up looking for. If you want it, lets meet somewhere close to me, not you.

The above rules apply to discs that I lose and others find as well.

I leave a message right after I find the disc, and another one within a week of finding it. I then wait a week and if I haven't received any response, I consider the disc officially lost by that person.

Two weeks is more than enough time to respond if you really want your disc back.

I also believe the burden of picking up the disc lies on the person that lost it, not the person that found it. I'm not going to go way out of my way and inconvenience myself for a disc that you gave up looking for. If you want it, lets meet somewhere close to me, not you.

i think this is clearly enough. I have seen some mindboggling posts about quests to find the owner. i find a disc, i call the number. one voicemail, one text. that's pretty much it.

if i got a call about one of mine,(im assuming someday this will happen) i would return the call within a day if i wanted it back. either way really. and i would go to wherever the person wanted me to in order to retrieve it. i wouldnt expect more work out of them besides the call. they're already doing you a favor.

likewise if i find one, i'm not hand delivering it. im letting them know that i found it and letting them know how to retrieve it. the work in the exchange is on them.

I think you are right on. Its a piece of equipment that is thrown in a game where you know there is a risk of losing discs. If people put their name and number on a disc, I am all for trying to get it back to them within reason. But by that same token, whoever lost the disc left it there. Left it behind. It is nice to try to return discs, definitely good karma. But by that same token, I don't think its as serious as people try to make it out to be if someone keeps a disc they found.

I myself don't even put my name and number on my discs. If I lose a disc, its my fault. Giving my name and number to a stranger isn't worth a disc with a max value of $30. So I don't expect to reclaim my lost plastic.

Losing discs is a risk in this game. I don't see why people get so bent out of shape about it.

I think you are right on. Its a piece of equipment that is thrown in a game where you know there is a risk of losing discs. If people put their name and number on a disc, I am all for trying to get it back to them within reason. But by that same token, whoever lost the disc left it there. Left it behind. It is nice to try to return discs, definitely good karma. But by that same token, I don't think its as serious as people try to make it out to be if someone keeps a disc they found.

I myself don't even put my name and number on my discs. If I lose a disc, its my fault. Giving my name and number to a stranger isn't worth a disc with a max value of $30. So I don't expect to reclaim my lost plastic.

Losing discs is a risk in this game. I don't see why people get so bent out of shape about it.

I do ink my regular (and loved) throwers in hopes that if I do lose them, I can get them back from a good Samaritan.

At the same time, I have always been of the philosophy that once I stop looking for my disc, I relinquish ownership of it to the disc golf gods. They can do with it what they see fit.

Latest posts