• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Found towels or other non-disc items: Any obligation to return them?

depends on the item.

My friend's Golden Retriever fell out of his bag one time on the 4th hole of a round - he went back after 9 and someone had taken it. We figured out which group it was but we think they ran to the cars between 9 and 10 and stashed it.

I wanted to f*** some people up.

I don't generally pay attention to towels because I keep mine securely clipped onto my belt.

OTOH, I did find a $70 pair of shades that prolly slipped out of someone's shirt pocket in the woods - I kept that.

Also found a full unopened can of beer deep in the woods - gave it to a buddy who was thirsty.

ive returned a towel but it was some super bamboo filled golf towel that cost 20 bones at least....had to carry the thing for 10 rounds b4 i finallly was able to return it.

but yeah the over the tee sign is the best bet....keep it if you forgot yours or lost yours.

I have a propensity to lose my wipe rag / towel, so when I find a good one I keep it. Scary I know, but if it's in the fairway I take my chances. Is there any etiquette for on-course finds if it's not a disc?

Is it yours?
If not return it if you can. I would never, ever, ever, ever use a towel I found. Just so much FAIL!

Green towels are picked up, washed and used by me. I dunno know why just green, but it's a superstition. The best score I had was a green bandana found, washed and now used all the time.

The opportunistic attitude displayed in looking for an excuse to keep items found on the field without making even a modest attempt at locating the original owner reflects a lack of any sense of community with fellow disc golfers.

My wife accidentally dropped her phone on the course last weekend. After nearly 2 hours of searching, we were lucky that one of the many nice groups of players (there were a couple of real jerks too) locate it and return the phone instead of one of the "Score! Found me a Droid, bitches!!!" crowd that appear to be in this thread, elsewhere on this site, and in the game.

If it's obvious that the person who left the item is no longer on the field (i.e. you're the only one on course,) then pick up the litter. If there's a lost and found, put it there. If not and you find it usable, then put it to use.

If there are other people on the course and you can't be bothered to ask around about it or put it in the lost and found, then either leave it where you found it or come to terms with being a thief. If you chose the latter, then you'll also need to accept the fact that you're only going to receive approval on such activity from other thieves. Thankfully, you appear to be in the minority.

my friend found a terrible towel in pittsburgh. he still uses it. but personally i looked at it an said i hate the steelers and walked away

I have found two cell phones. Both times, I waited for it to ring, and it was the owner on the course using another phone to find it, and I returned it to the owner.

I lost my phone on the grounds of my apartment complex, and I put a lost and found note on the bulletin board by the mail boxes. I know someone found that phone, and I never saw it again.

Is it yours?
If not return it if you can. I would never, ever, ever, ever use a towel I found. Just so much FAIL!

I am very often alone on the course. If it appears to be freshly dropped (ie: not completely soaked and trampled) I will leave it on the course by a tee, or basket. or try to return it to others that may be on the course while I'm there. If it appears to have been there for several days and is of decent quality I will save, clean and reuse. If it's litter and in the fairway I will pick it up and throw it away. Do you pick up litter?

Your moral imperative is to return all lost items. :|

If you cannot find the owner, you must scour the earth searching.

If that fails you must give up all your possessions, move to Tibet, and become a monk so as to spend the rest of your existence contemplating why you couldn't return a simple item to its rightful owner. :| :|

I found sunglasses once, I wore then, and was drinking during the round they feel off my head as I was putting and figured I would leave them. They were like 5 dollar gas station ones...

anytime i've found a towel on the course its been lying on the ground, dew-soaked, and just plain sketchy looking. they stay where they're at.

I have not seen such a terrible waste of bandwidth in a very long time.

:eek:

Well not THAT long but you get my point.

We found a torn towel conveniently sitting on the teepad...the hole after my friend went knee deep in mud looking for a disc. Used it to clean up, and left it there

depends on the situation. If I can return it to its owner I will, if not I dont leave sleep over it. If it looks really jacked up I probably wont touch it due to the likely hood someone wiped their tail with it.

STOP DISCUSSING RETURNING TOWELS! It makes us look like D-Bags.

I found a pair of Oakley radar sunglasses last summer on the course. I asked around but nobody knew anything about them. I was told that some Air Force dude had played the course the day before, and someone thought that they remembered that the dude had on a pair of Oakleys. I tried to get more info, but the dude that had talked to him said that Air Force guy was just passing through because he was flying in the air show. I would have liked to return them to the guy because they were $165 sunglasses, and I had lost a pair of Oakleys myself once before and I was seriously bummed when I did. I still have them to this day, and I wear them every day. Many times though I have thought to myself that the guy must have been sick about loosing a $165 pair of shades. I hope he did not loose too much sleep over them.

Latest posts