• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Friendly handicap methods?

WeatherWimp

Bogey Member
I tried searching but looked like most results were cumbersome and/or for leagues or tournaments.

What I want is an easy way to handicap with novice / recreational players that I play with. Not a big deal, but it is a bit more fun to have a friendly competition.

Tried this with my wife, she only has 18 rounds under her belt. Here is what I did for us today:

• Averaged her last 5 rounds
  • Averaged my last 5 rounds
  • Worked up to be a 2.5 stroke per hole difference

I thought this would work, but today we went to a new, shorter course and giving her a 38 stroke handicap (15 hole course) I got walloped as it was as shorter course than the other one where all our averages were used. And she is improving too.

Soooo, sorta need to take into consideration course toughness. I know SSA is on DGCR and of course official disc golf ratings but a few issues with these:

• DGCR SSA ratings not available for all the courses we will play
  • PDGA handicaps can't be figured as these are not tournament courses

Any thoughts? I've started taking out our son and soon a friend who play much closer to my scores than my wife, but it'd still be fun to be able to give them all an appropriate handicap so we can "compete" for the fun of it.

I tried searching but looked like most results were cumbersome and/or for leagues or tournaments.

What I want is an easy way to handicap with novice / recreational players that I play with. Not a big deal, but it is a bit more fun to have a friendly competition.

Tried this with my wife, she only has 18 rounds under her belt. Here is what I did for us today:

• Averaged her last 5 rounds
  • Averaged my last 5 rounds
  • Worked up to be a 2.5 stroke per hole difference

I thought this would work, but today we went to a new, shorter course and giving her a 38 stroke handicap (15 hole course) I got walloped as it was as shorter course than the other one where all our averages were used. And she is improving too.

Soooo, sorta need to take into consideration course toughness. I know SSA is on DGCR and of course official disc golf ratings but a few issues with these:

• DGCR SSA ratings not available for all the courses we will play
  • PDGA handicaps can't be figured as these are not tournament courses

Any thoughts? I've started taking out our son and soon a friend who play much closer to my scores than my wife, but it'd still be fun to be able to give them all an appropriate handicap so we can "compete" for the fun of it.

If you score your rounds in DGCR, it will compute estimated rating. That combined with the SSA of the course would give you something that's still an estimate but a more scientific one. And you could estimate SSA for courses that don't have one by using some similar course as a reference.

Also, getting walloped is good for your soul. At least that's what the nuns said ... :D

people can get better

I certainly hope so or I'm doomed! I'm ecstatic that my wife is getting better, and hope everyone does. It'd still be fun to have a friendly side wager of who has to unload the dishes when we get home. :)

. And you could estimate SSA for courses that don't have one by using some similar course as a reference.

Also, getting walloped is good for your soul. At least that's what the nuns said

Hadn't thought about using a similar course, thanks for the idea.

As for what those nuns said.... :thmbup:

You might try competing for who improves the most. Say your last 3 rounds averaged 5 over, and your wife's last 3 were 10 over. If she throws an 8 over and you throw a 4 over, she wins.

Well you can easily accommodate for her improvement by continuing to roll that 5 round average. Drop the oldest round each time you get a new one. That'll just keep up with progress. You're going to struggle to account for the difference in courses - but one idea is to determine what your handicap is on courses with >75% <200ft holes versus other courses (that's just an example, you can go by your feel on what is the best tipping point for you). Two rolling averages - one for long layouts and one for short ones - could do it.

My first question, are you already splitting up short/long tees? If not that is the easiest way to handicap. If you are, an easier way to handicap than figuring out scoring averages is to let her play Cali, meaning she can re-throw one shot per hole. If that is not enough every shot per hole.