• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] From hype to horror-DON'T POST A GROOVE THREAD UNTIL YOU READ THIS!

Do you hate the groove

• YES(Always)

Votes: 221 52.7%
  • NO(Never)

Votes: 138 32.9%
  • SOMETIMES(When it doesnt do what you want it to...but you still throw it)

Votes: 60 14.3%

• Total voters
I had one for a while, and I just never felt like I had any control over it at all. sometimes it would flip, sometimes it would fade hard, and it never really got much distance, so I traded it back in.

I love the Groove! It's my go to. The Groove was the second disc I bought, but at first it is overstable after a good betting over time, you can turn it and will always fade back. It is also a great skip disc. Mine is a 169g. If you can barrow one and try it. If the Boss is too overstable, the Groove is a little less. It is a fast disc so give it a good snap!

I'm surprised with all the people saying the groove is meat hook overstable. I picked one up early last year when I had been playing for just about a year and it was consistently flipping on me. The disc I was throwing the straightest at the time was a star wraith and a champ orc so I don't think I had too much arm strength at the time. I didn't hate the groove and I wouldn't put it down in the worst disc I bought list but I just never found a good place to use it in my game. I wish I still had I as I think I could really get some massive hyzer flips with it.

I throw mostly RBH and at the time I had it I threw only RBH

Hmm To be honest, never thought about even trying it, but now I am curious. Might be one of those "just for fun" type of deals. I doubt I will be able to throw it BH very well but I might abuse it FH and OH.

i have a Groove in the bag, but don't throw it too often... it's kinda unpredictable for me. It seems to loose speed quickly, maybe that's cause mine is 175g but its nice to come out of the trees without beating up any of my go-to discs.

I love the Groove! I heard that people who love the Boss hate the Groove, and vice-versa. It's definitely true in my case. I have a Boss that I can't get to fly right for the life of me, but I can throw both of my Grooves with ease. When I first started hearing about how a lot of people didn't like the Groove, I became concerned that I probably suck at disc golf because how else could I have be having success with what I was hearing is a crappy disc? Well, I do suck, but I still enjoy throwing my sweet baby Groove(s).

groove is wicked fast but lies at the stability point where i find it unpredictable, also skips like crazy. i carried one for a while strictly for wide open max d shots where accuracy wasn't my biggest concern. have since replaced it with a pro boss which i find to be more predictable.

i have a bunch of first run champion grooves for sale still

i have a 168g thats just been field tested for like 10 bucks on discaroo. i personally hate the groove it just didnt work for me other then to skip.
what i cant believe is how the local academy store has like 60+ grooves and probably 30 or more bosses but then only like 4 champ valks...... it amazes me. most people that are new to the sport in our area throw both the boss and groove because academy has them... they defiantly do not have enough power to throw them properly

I love the Boss but hate the Groove. I've had three different ones in different colors and weights and just could never get the distance I can get with Wraiths, Destroyers, and Bosses. When you turn over a Groove it goes down instead of flexing back out. I suspect the groove in the Groove effects the discs flight.

I do, however, love the other grooved disc that Innova makes.

I got a first run champ as well and it was way more overstable than they advertised. Out of the box they would make good FH discs I think (almost got an ace that way, skipped off the top of the basket) but worn in I have no idea what they would do. I thought about beating mine in really silly to try out for hyzer flips.

Grooves aren't that bad it's just they weren't what innova wanted them or said they were going to be (a boss with more turn). that's just asking for dissapointment.

I LOVE the Groove. I actually carry two in lighter/heavier weights for different shots. It is my go-to driver, and I often use it in other situations as well. I only throw it RHFH...I agree it is impossible to do anything with it backhand. It was my first driver, and with it I was immediately outdriving several people who had been playing longer than I had. I get about 300-330' with it (not real far, but I'm a newb), and the consistency is amazing. I can get my heavier disc to go straight when I want it, fade it to right at the end, or put a nice gentle "s" curve to it.

I had a meat-hook of a Groove for about a week before I sold it. Definitely more overstable than my Boss. I get the impression that it's an inconsistent mold. One disc to the next, you could go from flippy to meat-hook. That's a shame, with all the hype that built up around it.

I didn't like the groove because I tend to like under stable discs, thats what I thought the groove was supposed to be when I bought one but it turned out to be the most over stable disc in my bag. I have several good over stable discs (example, teerex) and I didn't want or need another one. I can throw my Beast about 350 feet consistently but my groove will only go about 250 for me. It was disappointing, especially after I got all hyped up about its release just to find out the discs ratings are completely off. I would say the groove is a ( 11,4,0,-3 ) if I had to give it a rating on how it flys for me.

I ordered one cause I want to have an opinion on it. I dont think I will bother with it BH, at least until I start driving around 400' lol But I will give it some FH and OH dutie see what it does. So for FH discs, I will now have the Teebird, Surge SS, Banshee and Firebird doing double duty and now a Groove for FH only.

I had a meat-hook of a Groove for about a week before I sold it. Definitely more overstable than my Boss. I get the impression that it's an inconsistent mold. One disc to the next, you could go from flippy to meat-hook. That's a shame, with all the hype that built up around it.

I have had three (lost one in a lake), and they all flew the same for me. Apparently I have an unorthodox fh style, so I'm not sure if that helps me throw it or not.

Latest posts