• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Gator or Drone?

Gator or Drone???

• Gator

Votes: 43 31.9%
  • Drone

Votes: 67 49.6%
  • Other

Votes: 25 18.5%

• Total voters

TxDiscGolfBoy

* Ace Member *
Silver level trusted reviewer
I need a mid that's SUPER overstable. My KC Rocs cover all the other territory.

I throw a CRF Whippet X, which is fantastic by the way, but I need something slower with the same power fade.

Gator or Drone...this is what it's boiled down to. Which do you prefer and give some feedback. Or if you have a better suggestion, choose other.

Thx guys.

Some people would say overstable mids are pointless, and I'm not sure If I don't agree with them. A whippet is almost a mid anyway. But that wasn't your question. Do you prefer beaded or not?

Doesn't matter, beads don't mess with me. You know, maybe even a max weight pro pig could do the trick.

I just got a Drone and I love it.

It is so super overstable Chuck Norris couldn't flip it over with a full powerful roundhouse.

It's not useful in every situation, but if you have a short shot that hooks hard left or Chuck Norris caliber wind, nothing beats a Drone.

By the way: I just realized I voted for Gator by accident. Boo Gator. Yay Drone!

Was somewhat leaning toward the drone to begin with. I have a feeling this poll is going to be the same way. Have a bud that throws a gator great, but even he thinking of getting a drone.

And yes, I'd go with the FLX Drone for sure.

I throw a gator and a drone. I use my gator as my strait midrange and my drone as my over stable midrange. I love them both. I can throw anything that is less stable then those two mids.

i throw the Z Drone. It is a custom disc and cost a bit more but it throw wonderful. But i did lose 2 of them in the past week and that is pretty terrible.

Of the two, I'd say Drone, so I voted that way.

Other options:

Whippet, but in DX or KC Pro, still overstable, but closer in plastic to your Rocs and a touch more controllable IMO.

Flat top Roc - handles a bit more wind than the basic KC Pro, and fades a bit more, this could be an option to try, and use your Whippet for when it's really blowing.

the drone is an excellent disc, i use it for anything that's even remotely open and >320 feet, it fights any wind and you can really push it further than you probably think you can. For hyzer spikes throw it HIGH, and for straight to fade keep it a little lower and you'll be happy with the results.

Sorry I voted Gator because I like the disc better, but if you want something really overstable then the drone is your disc, the gator flies super straight for me with a consistent fade at the last minute, while the drone starts turning way sooner and fades harder faster.

I voted Gator...but to be honest, even though I carry one in my bag, I'll generally either use a whippet, or more often, a CFR Viper in situations where I might otherwise use the Gator. If you can find a CFR Viper, that's a sweet buy right there...

beaded or beadless gator? Either way I dont throw either. I used to carry a beadless gator then one day realised I never threw it because I would generally just reach for a driver and power down, or throw my wizard.

i had a drone but booted it for a deamon and then switched to the CFR Gator. I kinda want to try out a Z drone but its discraft and i havent found a disc by them that i like.