• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Groove vs Shryke for sidearm throw?

When people complain about the inconsistency of the the groove it makes me thinks, how many grooves have you owned and thrown... jokes on you I guess, really

Yeah but that's the thing about the Groove. Whether you've bought 5 or 500 OR EVEN 0 the only answer to that question is "I've bought enough."

hqdefault.jpg

Thread of the Year Nominations, 2018
Best Comedy Thread.
Best One-liners.
Best Comedy Video
Best Disc Trashing.

I was comparing these discs on the shelf and was trying to decide which to get. They have the same stats 13/6/-2/2. The biggest difference was the shape of the rim. I power grip the rim like a pencil for throwing front hand. The writing bump on my finger actually fits nicely on the Groove's curve. Looking online, people seem to not like the Groove calling it gimmicky and the Shryke is more praised and popular. I wish I could try them both, but I can't really invest in more than 1 disc. Thanks for your help deciding!

Just get the Shryke.

If the Groove feels more comfortable in the hand, then look at the wings of all the Grooves you have available to you and find the one in the middle of them all, if there is only 1 Groove, get the Shryke.

Only one real way to solve this conundrum. Buy a Shryke and a Groove. Take them to a field and throw them side by side. Somehow, Innova saw fit to give these discs the same flight numbers. They aren't even close. The Shryke is flippier than any Groove I've ever thrown. It flexes out on massive S curve lines. The Groove on the other hand is much more overstable than listed. It flies like a brick and has almost no glide.

If you throw sidearm hard and need an overstable disc, get the Groove. If you want a more understable disc for long flex bombs, get the Shryke.

I'll say one thing: If you get a Groove you'll throw it a few times and then feel an intense desire to leave it on the course somewhere. The disc flat out sucks.

The groove I had never had a chance to be thrown. I had just switched arms so started throwing control drivers more. It wasn't terrible but I didn't like the groove. The thing was really OS too...

The Groove I had was an awesome flex disc. It was the first disc I ever reached 400' with. I lost it at some point, as I usually do with my longest distance drivers, and didn't bother replacing it because I had found the Katana, which I could throw further, but I also lost many Katanas, all of which were super amazingly long. Then at some point, the new Katanas I would buy flew nothing like my old bombers (the new ones wanted to fade too soon without holding the turn). So my point is...ummm...I want my old Katanas back!

I was gifted a groove for Christmas, but never got around to throwing it. I'd be open to a trade if you're interested. PM if so.

Neither is really an ideal flick disc, I don't know what all you throw but something slower with good glide like a Sword or Trespass could be very good.

The Groove I had was an awesome flex disc. It was the first disc I ever reached 400' with. I lost it at some point, as I usually do with my longest distance drivers, and didn't bother replacing it because I had found the Katana, which I could throw further, but I also lost many Katanas, all of which were super amazingly long. Then at some point, the new Katanas I would buy flew nothing like my old bombers (the new ones wanted to fade too soon without holding the turn). So my point is...ummm...I want my old Katanas back!

Katanas are probably the most inconsistent mold Innova makes. Some Katanas are massive bombers with lots of dome. They'll flex out hugely and hold it for a long while before fading. Then you have flat, glideless Katanas that are overstable and won't really flex out at all. They glide poorly and end up way short of what you want.

I think the Katana is a maddening disc. Some are perfect, and some are the worst discs you'll ever throw. I've probably thrown a dozen or more Katanas in varying plastics. When you find the right one it'll compete for longest disc out there. The wrong Katana is just frustrating though.

That said, the Groove is worse. Its the worst damn driver Innova makes for any kind of shot.

I reckon it's the need to fit in that makes the Groove such a derided disc. It certainly isn't any worse than most other drivers. I have been actively comparing Grooves with other "high-speed" discs for a few years now, and will ask for a test throw or two most times I see a player using one.

My perception is that the Groove may have a little less glide than many of its brethren, but not significantly so. For low to intermediate arm-speed (what the Groove is often thrown-at) it flies more like a Destroyer than anything. I have seen absolutely zero difference in consistency than that of other drivers except Bosses and Katanas which are worse. Grooves are generally more overstable than Shrykes.

I am not a fan of any high-speed disc, including the Groove, but can see no practical reason to especially avoid Grooves except the fear of being laughed at by nincompoops, which isn't really that scary. Thinking about getting a Groove stamp for my Firebirds in fact...

Folks, we have been over this. The Groove problem is that it has no tell. All discs are inconsistent, but if you throw them you learn what to look for. Katanas for instance...you look for dome, avoid the flat ones. You get comfortable buying them once you figure out the tell. Between dome and PLH you can figure out what you are getting most of the time.

Grooves? No telling. Nobody has ever been able to pick up on the pattern of what to look for. So every disc is an adventure, no telling what you are going to get. If anybody really wants to rehabilitate the Groove, figure out the tell is. What can we look for in one that makes one bomb, another flip helplessly and another dump in a glideless hyzer. Figure that out and we can stop ripping on it.

Until then...

I found a heavy champ Groove in a tree that ended up being my forehand distance flex water disc. Until it didn't flex quite enough, and found water.

I can't say anything bad about it, and made some nice shots. Felt fine for forehand, and it had as nice a splash as any disc I've ever thrown. I didn't weep when I lost it, and I will never try to replace it. Given the lack of emotional attachment and good flight, it may have been my best water disc ever.

Folks, we have been over this. The Groove problem is that it has no tell. All discs are inconsistent, but if you throw them you learn what to look for. Katanas for instance...you look for dome, avoid the flat ones. You get comfortable buying them once you figure out the tell. Between dome and PLH you can figure out what you are getting most of the time.

Grooves? No telling. Nobody has ever been able to pick up on the pattern of what to look for. So every disc is an adventure, no telling what you are going to get. If anybody really wants to rehabilitate the Groove, figure out the tell is. What can we look for in one that makes one bomb, another flip helplessly and another dump in a glideless hyzer. Figure that out and we can stop ripping on it.

Until then...

You pretty much know what you're getting with a Groove. Fast, mild turn, steady fade, moderate glide. More or less. Most of the extreme stories come from throwers with no idea how fast the disc is supposed to be thrown. I am reminded of a guy who passed on a NukeSS that he found to be an "overstable piece of ****" and that I used for backhand rollers.

Grooves have a more consistent shape than Katanas for sure, making them less open to visual assessment. However they fly much more consistently than Katanas. I compare them again to Destroyers, which are also very difficult to judge by eye. Funnily, Destoyers and Grooves may be the most similar discs with the most opposite reputations.

I reckon it's the need to fit in that makes the Groove such a derided disc. It certainly isn't any worse than most other drivers. I have been actively comparing Grooves with other "high-speed" discs for a few years now, and will ask for a test throw or two most times I see a player using one.

My perception is that the Groove may have a little less glide than many of its brethren, but not significantly so. For low to intermediate arm-speed (what the Groove is often thrown-at) it flies more like a Destroyer than anything. I have seen absolutely zero difference in consistency than that of other drivers except Bosses and Katanas which are worse. Grooves are generally more overstable than Shrykes.

I am not a fan of any high-speed disc, including the Groove, but can see no practical reason to especially avoid Grooves except the fear of being laughed at by nincompoops, which isn't really that scary. Thinking about getting a Groove stamp for my Firebirds in fact...

I'm sorry to say, but even among other speed 13-14 discs the Groove sucks. For its speed it flies sluggishly and has a very deep rim. Recent runs of Grooves are extremely overstable with no glide. For a disc rated 13, 5, -2, 2 it doesn't even come close to those numbers. Most Grooves I've thrown are more like 13, 3, 0, 4. If I wanted something like this I'd get an Ape. Difference is, the Ape would have glide and fly further.

I could care less that the Groove has a groove in the rim. If the thing flew halfway decent I'd happily throw it. As it is, I find the Groove to be a gross abomination and I can't even see why Innova continues to produce them.

Even when discussing "good" Grooves, there isn't much to go on. The only Grooves I've thrown that I'd even consider decent were first runs and other early runs. They actually had a touch of glide and some high speed turn. That said, I wouldn't throw them over any other fast driver Innova produces. "Good" Grooves really aren't all that good.

Last edited:
You pretty much know what you're getting with a Groove. Fast, mild turn, steady fade, moderate glide. More or less. Most of the extreme stories come from throwers with no idea how fast the disc is supposed to be thrown. I am reminded of a guy who passed on a NukeSS that he found to be an "overstable piece of ****" and that I used for backhand rollers.

Grooves have a more consistent shape than Katanas for sure, making them less open to visual assessment. However they fly much more consistently than Katanas. I compare them again to Destroyers, which are also very difficult to judge by eye. Funnily, Destoyers and Grooves may be the most similar discs with the most opposite reputations.

Only a very few Destroyers I've ever thrown were as beefy as most Grooves. Some of the early McBeth stars and a Brinster splatter Destroyer were Groove beefy. Also, even a beefy Destroyer will have some glide. Most Grooves won't glide a bit and fall out of the air like a table saw blade.

You must throw some early run Grooves, because all the ones I keep coming across are absolute pigs with zero glide and a ton of fade. I'd be reluctant to even use them for water discs because they don't fly far enough to ever clear the water in the first place.

Only a very few Destroyers I've ever thrown were as beefy as most Grooves. Some of the early McBeth stars and a Brinster splatter Destroyer were Groove beefy. Also, even a beefy Destroyer will have some glide. Most Grooves won't glide a bit and fall out of the air like a table saw blade.

You must throw some early run Grooves, because all the ones I keep coming across are absolute pigs with zero glide and a ton of fade. I'd be reluctant to even use them for water discs because they don't fly far enough to ever clear the water in the first place.

I've thrown perhaps three dozen Grooves, and have found them no more stable than the average Destroyer. I don't throw terribly hard, but for my arm speed I would average them at 4/-1/2