• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Gstar Teebirds and Destroyers

Mine is similar in flight to a pro that is a couple of grams lighter. I see more glide out of the pro for the most part, but it may be just that I have worn that disc in a lot more.

Mine is similar in flight to a pro that is a couple of grams lighter. I see more glide out of the pro for the most part, but it may be just that I have worn that disc in a lot more.

I don't have all the star runs around, only pro's and DX's. And one champ I have never thrown.

I only throw about 300' so my Champ Teebird is for only when I need something I can trust throwing into the wind. However, I am not crazy about Champ in any mold since I seem to throw Star and other plastics further.

Recently I tried my first G* Teebird during a around and found it to be more OS than I was expecting. I had thought it might be like regular Star. What a surprise when it kicked my Champ Teebird out of its spot in my bag. I like the G* TB for dependable into-the-wind shots, but unlike my Champ TB I can get some good glide and distance as well. I'm really liking it.

how does the gstar teebird fight wind vs. a fresh dx teebird? the dx teebird really doesn't fare well in a headwind on a full rip.

say i'm throwing the teebird 380', 400' absolute maximum distance.

my 175 is okay in a headwind but the lighter ones were a little touchy for me

how does the gstar teebird fight wind vs. a fresh dx teebird? the dx teebird really doesn't fare well in a headwind on a full rip.

Are you wanting a over stable tee bird or a neutral tee bird? You would be able to get those distances but you would probably want to hyzer flip it. The G* tee bird is nothing like an AJ tee bird.

The only G* Im really liking very much is the Destroyer, it smaaaashes! Very fast straight and long with a solid finish at the end.

I like neutral. I highly doubt I'd get those distances with a beefy teebird. I play a lot of wooded courses so i like discs I can smash on without much fade for those straight tunnel shots. My fresh dx teebirds are money for that.

I like neutral. I highly doubt I'd get those distances with a beefy teebird. I play a lot of wooded courses so i like discs I can smash on without much fade for those straight tunnel shots. My fresh dx teebirds are money for that.

yeah the g-star teebird will do that.. it will even drift to the right just a bit

Yeah, I have been throwing gstar instead of dx for TBs in the woods, same flight, maybe a bit more fade when new.

gstar fights the wind much better than fresh DX. Anything over a 10-12 MPH headwind turns my DX into a start-to-finish anny line if cranked but I get the gstar to fly straight into the same wind with a hyzer release.

cool. yeah, only one of my dx teebirds had 0 turn out of the box, the rest all had some flip. none of them tolerate the wind so this is good to know, thank you. :)

My 1000 rated disc golf mentor who prefers soft plastic like r-pro darts and flx buzzzes got 170 destroyer and 180 roc3. He is a powerful thrower and they were not nearly as overstable as a star destroyer or champ roc3. Both were in shiny mint condition with flashing intact today and were still turning from hyzer on beautiful throws. For a powerful player like him they would make very straight flyers that will no doubt rapidly degrade into understable discs. He loves the feel of the plastic though.

My 175 G* Teebird flies like a slightly beaten 175 Star Teebird with more glide. Glidey seasoned Star is what I'm hearing from everyone throwing G* in my area. The Leopard I have (175g) follows this pattern as well - beefier than fresh Pro Leopards and glidier with more turn than fresh Star.

Well, it's official. Once I acquire enough backups for the good star and champ tb that are out now and can break them in, I will not be using gstar except to cover my flippy tb role. It's definitely an okay plastic and the flight out of the box is magic, but it is simply not durable. i have had 5-6 gstar tb in my bag and after a significant impact they are noticeably deformed and fly differently. One of my star tb is finally breaking in. Hopefully I can beat it to turnover status eventually and keep the cycle rolling without need for gstar. Probably just stick to dx for flippy tb instead.

For something like a destroyer, though? I would definitely keep a slightly beaten up super poptop gstar for max d.

Last edited:
It's definitely an okay plastic and the flight out of the box is magic, but it is simply not durable. i have had 5-6 gstar tb in my bag and after a significant impact they are noticeably deformed and fly differently.
This is baffling to me. All of the proshop G-Star Teebirds that I've seen this year have been amazingly durable. 4 of the guys I play with regularly have been using them all year. Same discs... plenty of trees hit... no damage or change in flight whatsoever.

that's odd, because all of my gstar TB end up like this after a month, two months tops.

IMAG0064_zps88ffo2ha.jpg

it's deformed so badly that it can't even lie flat. there's a good full centimeter of space between the bottom of the disc and the countertop. maybe i'll let it sit in some hot water overnight and see if it pops back into shape, but every single one i've had ends up like this. i tend to throw hard even in the woods, but yeah. it seems pretty apparent to me that it's more like a gummy pro plastic than anything. nowhere near star.

my camera is pretty terrible (thanks to my ******* coworker who broke my phone: you're the best!) so i had to adjust the image a bit, but it still doesn't do justice to how bad it is, really. most of the damage was done over the course of yesterday during a 3 round spree.

Last edited:
This is baffling to me. All of the proshop G-Star Teebirds that I've seen this year have been amazingly durable. 4 of the guys I play with regularly have been using them all year. Same discs... plenty of trees hit... no damage or change in flight whatsoever.

Completely agree! I have seen a few people saying the GStar stuff is not durable, but I just dont see it!

I have had the same GStar TB in my bag since the 1st release of mini proto stamps. I play in Charlotte (mostly all wooded courses) 4-5 times/week. It has held my "work horse" TB slot since it landed in my bag. I throw it where I dont want to beat up my CAL mold or where there might be a potential of losing it. I also use it for OH and flick shots (both of which I'm not good with). I have even purposfully tried to punish this disc and it just takes it! I have no major gouges or nicks and its still nice and flat. It may have lost a tiny bit of fade, but it shows no turn w 400' of power.

My Gstar Destoryers do season faster than a Star beefcake, but they also don't start out nearly as beefy. The nice domey G *DS flies like a well seasoned *DS right out of the box.