• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hardest Course Ever

Here's my theory:

Course Length in feet divided by average fairway width = course difficulty. How do you like them apples?

That seams like a good way to do it, but I think there are other factors that come in, elevation, tree density, rough, etc...

Course Length in feet divided by average fairway width = course difficulty. How do you like them apples?
I think a course down the hallways of a school would be much easier than one the same length and width that was lined with pricker bushes. Another problem is determining the "average width" of a fairway. At Swope in KC, they have fairways lined with mature trees. However, you can yank a shot around a tree and fly really far down a parallel fairway with minimal penalty. What would be the equivalent "width" in that case?

Brazos park East in Waco Texas. This place has some age but is kept in really good condition. The back nine holes is literally called the beast back nine. good challenge though.:doh:

Nice ~7 year Necro post - any new challenging courses to bring up?

I feel really lucky to have Delaveaga Disc Golf course in Santa Cruz as my home course. In long positions, it is super challenging and you get a huge variety of different types of shots, so it really gets you ready for other courses: Elevation change, tunnels, left to right, right to left, etc. Two things I don't work on enough: wind - cuz when I play it is usually still, shots over water.

Last edited:
Picnic Island and Cypress Point in Tampa are pretty hard from the longs.

Agree with picnic, the combination of wind and tough rough makes it quite challenging. Cypress is easy if you throw 350+ and you stay out of the palms

Get your own opinion and stop trying to discredit mine. Next time try Cypress from the longs.

Didn't mean to offend you, I was strictly speaking of shooting around par, it's certainly not a birdie fest unless your climo

Diamond X in Billings, Montana.

It's not the toughest course because of what you would expect. It's the toughest because it's 1/2 rock climbing and 1/2 disc golf. I've never been as drained, even on 3-4 round days, as when I finished 18 on this course. I've also never known myself to be closer to death than driving off of the top of the world #18. One misstep and you're going down, down, down, down.

(yes, someone actually survived the fall)

Of the ~170 I've played, Blue Valley in KC is probably the hardest. Certainly the most draining I've played.

That said, I don't seek out the tighest, wooded courses very often. It's not what I enjoy. Just like when I go skiing, I'm not looking for the trail with a 45-degree mogul run through the trees. I want a challenge, but I'm there for other reasons than a beat down.

Of the ~170 I've played, Blue Valley in KC is probably the hardest. Certainly the most draining I've played.

Blue Valley might be the most draining that I've played, too. Nonetheless, I miss it a lot.

In one way the toughest I've played was Camp Fortune in Quebec. It is the only course that I've played at a ski park, and it was rough, like constantly having to be careful not to step in a hole and break a leg or ankle rough! I hope that isn't normal for ski park courses....

Toughest, as in challenging, it is hard for me to decide between:
Blue Valley and Water Works in MO
Pickard Park and Shaver Park in IA
Camden Park II in IL
and University of OB in CA

There are a few others that have been tough for me here in CA, but I'm not sure they really are that tough, or if playing them more than just a couple of times they would get easier quickly with having more familiarity.

Didn't mean to offend you, I was strictly speaking of shooting around par, it's certainly not a birdie fest unless your climo

No worries. Someone wanted to know what some hard courses are that came out in the last 5 years. I thought Cypress was pretty hard myself. I thought that Climo helped design it to give the pro level player a good challenge.

Patterson Lake tournament setup in ND has highest SSA. Winthrop Gold in 2011 with all of the Throw & Distance penalties was in the same SSA league also.

I know it was around in the 09's but still, Highbridge Bear is the biggest beatdown on a course I have ever taken - and that was when it was mowed and kept up with.

Mountain Man's Playground in Ironwood MI (unlisted atm), is one of the toughest I've played so far as well. I've been playing it religiously the past few months and I have only got a +3 on nine holes, on the easiest layout possible. Gimme any combo of 18 holes, and there's a very good chance I'll be scoring double digits over par.

And Mountain Man keeps moving pins and tees further apart haha.

The most throws to finish a course for me in the last 5 years was Stoney hill. Just a lot of tough throws throughout this wonderful private course.

Honorable mention to IDGC - WR Jackson and Jim Warner Memorial. Two very hard long and as advertised, a true testament for everyone's skill and endurance.

I had my best round ever at WR Jackson on my most recent trip. However, WR is just so huge, long and steep it can wear you down. The fairways on some of the long holes seem plenty wide and I had some great long throws & hit intended landing spots and I would feel great about myself but by the time I would climb up the steep hills to my next shot I found myself missing putts that I should make. The courses are just known for zapping the strength & concentration right out of you. Even the short holes place baskets on steep fast greens forcing the perfect shot to match the angle of the hill to stick. Manage that and you still have to find the perfect putting stance on a knife edge and stick a putt. You better have all the putting stances on you bag.

Often reviews say you have to throw every disc in your bag. I carried 20 discs to WR and for what seems like the first time I used every single disc I brought. Not only that, I used every shot in my skill set.