• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Heated Concrete Teepads...?

How about making it a game to clear the pads? I played a winter round once where whoever got ctp had to carry the shovel and clear the next pad. Worked great for me since one of the guys was over 1000 rated and sponsored. I did clear a couple though.

Just use asphalt when making teepads instead of concrete. I remember when I played basketball, in the spring we could only play at one court that it was made of asphalt it would always be dry since concrete doesnt abosorb the heat of the sun as well.

Shovel and salt. Just like in a glow round people have to walk the course and light the baskets up before the round, in the snow send a few people out before a round to shovel n salt. The leaf blower idea isn't bad though, I do that to clear my sidewalk and my cars.

suck it up and throw on the snow. a heated tee pad is only going to cause a puddle of water to form and eventually get deep enough to freeze, or freeze the area around it. so now you have an ice sheet.

not to mention the energy required to do this would be better spent lighting the course and baskets for evening play.

hit the nail right on the head

They have these for bathroom floors... Pretty simple system but you'd need electricity of course... You lay the wire in the concrete pour.. not hard at all to do that part... it's really just the electricity... I don't believe that it would be practical with solar panels... they wouldn't generate enough energy to be effective at a reasonable price point.
Seems more like an idea for a dg resort type of place that really wants to go all out and can run the electric

It's a great idea, but there are some issues with efficiency. As stated previously, driveway heaters are available. Most consist of very thin thermal wiring interlaced in the concrete.
The problem is these units use as much energy as a stove, far more that a solar panel and battery system with inverter can provide. Heating water and running it through plumbing is even less efficient, so both of these systems would not be sensible for most courses.

The best solution is to just texture the surface of the concrete, allowing the moisture to accumulate in the crevass's, leaving the area contacting your shoe dry and grippy. There is no worry of someone in high heeled shoes hurting themselves, so making the surface textured should not cause any problems.
For pre existing tees, maybe have someone come and cross cut channels with a concrete saw to improve drainage.

I would be shocked if any local Park District spent that kind of $$$ on a disc golf course.

Heating coils + new concrete teepads + solar panels x 18 = +/- $250,000 installation and material costs.

I don't even want to venture a guess at the cost of annual maintenance. This would have to happen at a private course. There is no way the noobs and chuckers would be able to keep their paws off of the solar panels.

This certainly sounds like a great idea for a course funded by someone with a lot of money. If I ever win the lotto, we will discuss in more detail and bring a championship level course to the greater Chicagoland area that includes heated teepads. ;)

You could just build a course in Yellowstone. Built-in geyser heating.

All 5 Yellowstone courses are covered in massive amounts of snow all winter, including the Old Faithful course.

Frownie :(

What is wrong with a shovel and some salt?

I believe i've seen on some other posts related to this that salt and some of the sno-melt products out there can be damaging to the concrete over the long haul.

I believe i've seen on some other posts related to this that salt and some of the sno-melt products out there can be damaging to the concrete over the long haul.

Calcium Chloride works better and does not damage concrete, it is used as a curing agent in it. Heated would be awesome as would a heated bag so we could have summer grip all the time.

Heated would be awesome as would a heated bag so we could have summer grip all the time.

Use a few large 4"x5" Hothands warmers to line your bag, this keeps the discs warm for at least one round in the coldest weather, and they weigh very little so you wont posthole in the deep stuff. :)