• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My origin story...

Elbow

I'm a lifelong ball golfer that just started playing disc golf this winter. Sort of. There is a disc golf course at my county park and for years during winters I went around it just to get out of the house because unlike a ball golf green there aren't frost issues with a metal basket. I don't think I ever saw another human out there so just me and an old frisbee I found in the basement.

I've played ball golf since the Carter administration (I'm about to be 50) and would watch the occasional youtube video about that. The youtube algorithm started putting disc golf videos in my feed last fall and at some point I broke down and watched one that happened to be the back nine of the 2021 worlds. Which given I had zero idea this was something that was taken seriously (had no idea there were even golf specific discs, etc.,) was a mind blowing experience in a whole bunch of ways. Like walking into my basement and finding a large underground city.

At this point I mostly am what I am as to ball golf. Which is fun but there isn't that carrot of possible improvement; the feeling of learning to do something new. So I've been going pretty hard down the disc golf rabbit hole. I'm working out issues of equipment, form, etc. I'm still terrible, or at least I assume so. I lack any context. I don't think I've played a round when the temperature was above 50F and when it's been that warm the wind has been howling.

I'm planning on playing an unsanctioned tournament tomorrow which will be the first time I've ever played with other humans. I'm also planning on joining a league. My ball golf associates look at my new pursuit with horrified amusement and my other friends aren't at all interested in athletics outside of the occasional bar fight.

So that's my origin story. My immediate goal at this point is to consistently be able to throw the thing 200 ft. My ball golf touch seems to translate to the putting and short approach stuff so that is mostly an issue of experience and refinement.

It's the full shots that are the biggest horror show. I'm trying to put too many concepts into practice at the same time when I know quite well that having more than one thought during a shot is counterproductive.

It's the full shots that are the biggest horror show. I'm trying to put too many concepts into practice at the same time when I know quite well that having more than one thought during a shot is counterproductive.
Sounds like you have a good handle on things already. The fact that you already are aware of the underlined is good. There are a lot of different pieces to good technique and different folks tend to give you different bits and pieces of the story.

But as you've touched on, refine one thing at a time, and get that down before working on something else. It's not hard to get overwhelmed with all the technique videos, to the point where you're not really doing any of those things well.

Above all else, have fun with it!

Sounds like you have a good handle on things already. The fact that you already are aware of the underlined is good. There are a lot of different pieces to good technique and different folks tend to give you different bits and pieces of the story.

But as you've touched on, refine one thing at a time, and get that down before working on something else. It's not hard to get overwhelmed with all the technique videos, to the point where you're not really doing any of those things well.

Above all else, have fun with it!

I just for some reason can't get it into my head that even though I'm not swinging a stick that smooth still translates to power.

It's this chicken/egg thing where working on tempo/smoothness is hard to do without having a full grasp of all the physical elements I'm trying to sync. From my ball golf experience I suspect this is still the most important thing because bad tempo causes so many problems that working on anything else is pointless.

The shoulder turn mechanic seems roughly the same just in the opposite direction and that the power comes mostly from that tension built between the core and the shoulders seems obvious... easier said than done though. I'm mostly working on follow through at this point as that's where the smoothness is breaking down and I want to find a way to not put too much stress on my lead knee. I'm often doing what in ball golf is known as a reverse pivot where because I'm having trouble with the finish my weight shift ends up going in the wrong direction which results in loss of power and getting the nose up.

I stopped watching technique videos and decided to just reverse engineer everything based on my experience with swinging a club. How you hold it and tempo being by far the most important things...

Why do you call golf "ball golf"? It's just golf, everyone knows the distinction between golf and disc golf.

Boy, nothing riles them ball golfers up better than calling the sport they play, "ball golf"! :|

Just asking a simple question; I don't understand why anyone would think the extra word is needed - its clearly not. More than anything it just makes you look stupid; it's not annoying or funny or clever. Just stupid.

Just asking a simple question; I don't understand why anyone would think the extra word is needed - its clearly not. More than anything it just makes you look stupid; it's not annoying or funny or clever. Just stupid.

We generally try to ease our new forum members into the name calling. I mean once they get a couple posts under their belt and wander into the Brodie thread, then all bets are off. :doh:

Welcome elbow. League nights can be a ton of fun. Generally, most of the players are happy to share tips and advice. As a 50+ player, I found a great group of seniors to hang and play with.

Yo, chucker, what happened to Texas friendly?

I have now dropped the ball and just call it ballf. Which is annoying, funny, clever AND
stupid!
:D

Welcome to the addiction Elbow.

It's a convention in a lot of circles and it is obviously needed for clarity depending on context. Similar to how I might use the term "American football" or "gridiron" when talking about that sport in certain contexts with certain people.

If I'm writing or talking about both kinds of golf at the same time just using the word "golf" risks being unclear. I could be shortening or I could be referring to ball golf.

We generally try to ease our new forum members into the name calling. I mean once they get a couple posts under their belt and wander into the Brodie thread, then all bets are off. :doh:

Maybe I should have looked around more before I made an account.

It's a convention in a lot of circles and it is obviously needed for clarity depending on context. Similar to how I might use the term "American football" or "gridiron" when talking about that sport in certain contexts with certain people.

If I'm writing or talking about both kinds of golf at the same time just using the word "golf" risks being unclear. I could be shortening or I could be referring to ball golf.

Well it is a disc golf forum :D. I like the clarity but when I say I'm going to play golf it never involves a ball.

It's all good man. Post on buddy!

It amuses me to annoy ball golfers. Just because I played it my whole life doesn't mean I don't find most of them annoying and pretentious. Especially my friends.

So it's a habit.
I call disc golf "frolf" for the exact same reason. My friends seem oblivious to the fact that I say it mostly to annoy them and take the bait ever week. I'd probably stop saying it if it didn't trigger them. :|

Maybe I should have looked around more before I made an account.

Well, this subforum is supposed to be free of trolling or disrespect, but some people who joined this month just can't help themselves...

Well, this subforum is supposed to be free of trolling or disrespect, but some people who joined this month just can't help themselves...

Specially when they were very warmly welcomed themselves just all of like, pffft, 10 days or so ago.

Welcome to Frolf. Much better than Stick Golf! Not all us are arses!

Hope you have fun at the tourney!

I rec Scott Stokely as an overall youtube coach, he was a top player in his youth back in the 90s (and is touring now) and has decades of teaching experience unless most pros.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNQdcKC7sWySzRRkrmp27geU2IYAolB7t

Exactly as you said, I think a lot of videos tend to pile the stuff on what to do correct and becomes a problem of where to even start. Also, as awesome as correct technique is, a lot of it is just practice, muscle memory, and things that come with time rather than something that can be fixed overnight.

Happens Everywhere!

I just began my disc golf journey. Even though I have walked a few local courses, I'm only doing fieldwork so far. Have done quite a bit of reading and YouTube viewing. I was glad to find this website and forum. However, the Chucker60 responses in this thread have cooled my urge to participate. I have seen the same thing on different forums involving other activities. Guess there's one everywhere.

Latest posts