• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help! overstable putter?

Do you use all 5 during your rounds?

Believe it or not, yes.

Pig - LHBH drives with fade
Champ Rhyno (gummy) - LHBH straight drives
Star Rhyno (super gummy) - RHBH drives with fade
Beat DX Rhyno - RHBH straight drives
Pro Rhyno - Putting

Any shot with either hand that's under or around 250, I'm using a Rhyno or a Pig. Unless it's a short upshot that I need to go dead straight in which case I use a Birdie.

Clearly I have a severe Thumbtrack® addiction.

Burdphil, that's what I call taking full advantage of a disc's capabilities. Plus, being ambidextrous helps you out as well.

How beat is your champ rhyno that it flies straight?

I use an R-Pro Rhyno that I can throw up to 300' with almost no fade at all. Of course, R-Pro plastic is very different from Champ plastic, so I have no idea how the OP managed that.

I probably throw my R-Pro 15 or more times per round, depending on the course. I do not putt with it, so chain contact is not taking out the overstability, just simple heavy use over time. I've had the disc since March.

Believe it or not, yes.

Pig - LHBH drives with fade
Champ Rhyno (gummy) - LHBH straight drives
Star Rhyno (super gummy) - RHBH drives with fade
Beat DX Rhyno - RHBH straight drives
Pro Rhyno - Putting

Ambidextrous much? Good skill to have. :clap:

Clearly I have a severe Thumbtrack® addiction.

As do I, but I'm monogamously addicted to my orange 175g R-Pro Rhyno. :D

That's the thing about Rhynos for me. I've been fondling them for years as an overstable short range disc but have never actually thrown one. Everybody I see on the course with them all throw them straight with almost no fade. Granted they've all been well used, but that's what drove me to the Zone. It's a completely different animal, stability-wise. My concave Pro-D is beat up pretty bad, but it still fades like a new Z.

That's the thing about Rhynos for me. I've been fondling them for years as an overstable short range disc but have never actually thrown one. Everybody I see on the course with them all throw them straight with almost no fade. Granted they've all been well used, but that's what drove me to the Zone. It's a completely different animal, stability-wise. My concave Pro-D is beat up pretty bad, but it still fades like a new Z.

I understand that. As long as I don't throw it with full power, I can still get the Rhyno to hold a hyzer line; it flattens up a bit, but it's predictable. If I need something for a short to midrange hard fading shot, I generally grab a Drone and back off it quite a bit, or baby an xXx. I got a Z Zone in a DC misprint pack, but I never felt comfortable with it. Then again, I got that pack about two years ago, and I had no idea how to throw overstable discs properly at that time. :doh: So perhaps the Zone would work well for me now. Hmmm...

so i'm throwing rhyno's right now champ and dx 175g. they are flying very straight for longer upshots and short drives. can someone suggest an overstable putter for me? possibly something made by discraft? I have a VP but the rim just seems to deep, i cant get the feel of it. Ive had a pig in the past and it turn into a straight flyer as well.

IMO, the best overstable putter is the Vibram VP

:doh:

But it's just laying there waiting patiently to be poked in the eye with a stick. :p

OMG ZONE!

The dead horses past words were:

OMG ZONE

Have you tried an XG Rhyno? Best approach disc I have ever thrown. Hyzers, flex shots, straight approaches, very predictable. Once it lands, it stops, no bad skips. Great for running at the basket. My favorite disc in my bag. As someone said on here before; it's the one disc I have that I would punch a baby kitten if I lost it.

Finally found a Premium Jokeri and took it out for a round today, and it's got everything I wanted in an overstable driving putter. More glide than a Pig or Rhyno, but with Pig-ish stability. Premium, grippy and soft Scandinavian-style plastic. Not as shallow as a Zone and much more comfortable, at least for me.

How beat is your champ rhyno that it flies straight?

beat enough that if i throw it off the tee on shorter holes it flies straight with pretty much no fade. Ive tried to hyzer flip it and didnt help much. I end up in alot of situations where an overstable putter would really come in handy for both putts (around obsticals) and when i need a short distance hyzer and or forehand. sounds like i need to pick up a zone or two. thanks for all the input guys!

The MVP Ion is more stable for putting, it resists turn for putting duty, but is a GREAT turnover driver also..Just holds anny lines forever without taking a dump. best all around putter i have ever used.