• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hey fat guys!

Giantjerk

I'm a big fat guy, and I play disc golf for fun and to help me on my path to losing weight. I generally don't get out of breath except in places when there is a steep incline. If you are out of breath, do you wait a minute to catch it before throwing again, or just go ahead and throw?

I was just thinking about it the other day when I was all out of breath after a hike up to a tee that goes off a cliff. I used to sit and rest at the top before throwing, but lately I've just been hucking it and getting my breath back on the walk down because I don't want to stop.

I'm not fat, but I have teed off while short of breath. In my experience, being short of breath doesn't really affect my throw that much. However, if my arm starts to get tired, my drives get pretty squirrelly. Honestly, I think it's up to the thrower. If you're trying to lose weight, though, you might just want to push through it.

I would say that if you are playing casual rounds with part of the goal being increased fitness, just keep going like you have been. If you're in a competitive situation, catch your breath and throw the best shot you can.

If you want to lose maximum amount of weight, carry 2 discs. Do speed rounds.

If you want to get better while being active, rest before putting. Always rest before putting.

edit: I'm fat, I take my time. I have played speed rounds before, but I prefer to have good shots instead of good health. :D

I have been, for around three months, playing four or six times a week with a little bit of dieting included, and I am down 37 pounds.

I never really rest, just keep going to my throw a d throwing again, but the drive to hit the chains pushes me, not my desire to lose weight. Pushing yourself to lose more weight or play faster could cause you to burn out, where as playing to get better and lose strokes might motivate you to stick with it longer.

Years of playing at fifty percent effort are much better than one season of playing the game like it is a challenge on biggest loser.

I definitely rest at times. Having a Simian really helps too.

Of course, I also play 110+ holes whenever I can, so I can get pretty tired.

I'm not fat... I'm shapes...solo rounds I just plug along at a brisk pace ...taking time to set up my shots without rushing ....but always keep moving I have a strange work schedual so I out on the course at off times so crowds / backups are rarely an issue...18 holes on a course that's 5400 ft Fort Steilicoom n.w. or s.e.) in about an hour and 15 mins

I played when I was sick one time & I was really out of breath the whole time. It was a particularly hilly course, also. I noticed that the biggest part of my game that suffered was actually my putting. It was probably more the mental side of it than being physically out of breath, but my putting was awful because of it.

I just played a tournament in Pagosa Springs, Colorado. The course is at 7100' elevation and quite hilly. I'm 53, 6'1, and 225 pounds, and I was definitely winded after getting up to a couple of the tees. But the other Advanced Grandmasters (50+) I was playing with were experiencing the same, so we didn't object to giving ourselves a short break before teeing off after the steepest climbs. We never had anyone waiting behind us.

I find that arriving at a tee, reviewing the sign for distance, locating the basket, reviewing what order we'd be teeing off in, etc. usually gives enough time to catch ones breath. But sometimes an additional 20 - 30 seconds is appreciated.

I suppose this raises a question. How do you treat the 30 second rule at the tee? One could argue that if there are no players still on the hole, the first player would have exactly 30 seconds to throw after arriving at the tee. But if others in your group have still not made the climb, or if there is question as to where the basket is, etc., when do you start the clock?? The rules are written in terms of arriving at the disc, so it implies something other than teeing off.

Mark

One of the courses I've started playing more is built on the side of a hill so there's a lot of walking up and down (~6k ft 24 hole). I usually stop for ~5-10 seconds and pace my breathing, continue on with my shot, then walk it off the rest of the way to the next tee. I prefer to take my time and improve my game and let the weight loss be a side effect, but I still finish in ~1.5 hours or so solo depending on how many times I lose sight of my disc (hate that!). I typically feel a little more rushed if there's a group behind me, but it's typically not crowded on Sundays when I play with my friends and one of them ends up deep in the trees fairly often so I have plenty of time to take it easy hehe :)

If you wanna play good , rest. If you wanna get in shape don't rest

More like:
If you want to play well, rest. If you want to get in shape, don't rest. If you want to play great, make it so you don't need to rest and catch your breath.

rest before putting. Always rest before putting.

everyone should take note of this.

If you want to lose maximum amount of weight, carry 2 discs. Do speed rounds.

I'd actually say the opposite although this method will be easier on the joints and allow you to play more holes.

I'm just thinking how gnarly it can be this time of year carrying what feels like a 40lb grip bag loaded with 20 discs and two liters of water. Hilly courses too. That's got to burn more if you're still keeping a quick pace.

I played when I was sick one time & I was really out of breath the whole time.

I don't get flu shots but I don't usually get the flu. Past winter though I had it bad and for about two weeks. I kept trying to play disc golf so it took a while. I'd get out probably dehydrated and with cold sweats. I thought I was going to die after a few holes. It sucked. I won't ever play with the flu again.

if my arm starts to get tired, my drives get pretty squirrelly.

I generally just push through it and by the time I get to the next tee I'm back to normal, it's never bad... I was just thinking of how it might effect shots. Now, as far as my arm getting tired, I actually find that it helps me throw better because I quit trying to throw so hard and it smooths me out. I never remember that til the freaking end of my round...

Latest posts