• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Highbridge Hills - Wisconsin

A couple of pages ago it was noted that a landowner that controls 5 lots has prohibited all disc golf activities on his properties. The poster said 2 of the courses will be affected but only losing a few holes.

Yeah, pretty sure that's John.

I feel like I'm more in your boat. When I met John in 2006 - most of these faults seemed basically to amount to his having such big dreams for the property. I was brought on to work as a disc sports instructor for a kids disc camp over the summer, with kids bused over weekly from some local camps for lessons (I think it was 2-3 camps he thought would bring in kids once a week each), and I'd do grounds work on the off days. We had an verbally agreed upon wage. When I got there, though - that had been pushed back so I was to spend my first month just on grounds. The wages turned into room/board. Soon became just room, with a promise of some kind of stake in a cabin or something long term. By the time I'd been there a month the lessons were just to whomever showed up on the property and no kids camps planned (I had, over the four months, about 4-5 total groups of kids). By the time I left my compensation was down to the bed I'd slept on and permission to camp for free into the future.

All told, having seen what little we brought in each week, I was understanding of the fact that I wasn't getting anything. I didn't see John as someone sleazy or underhanded throughout it. I just saw it as a situation where he'd truly had much bigger expectations for what he'd be bringing in from these ideas than actually came through. I never attributed it to any sense he wasn't doing the work to try to make it possible - he was out there on that mower into the night.

All of these stories have colored my thoughts on how that summer went - it does make me wonder if he was anywhere close to lining up kids camps to come in, whether the steps were taken to even begin to develop that process for that summer... I can't know what was/wasn't done. The stories I've heard - such a damn shame. He seemed like a truly nice guy, but I can't deny all the other experiences I've read about here, on top of the issues with 2007 Worlds after I left.

I remember playing with you that summer. It was over 100 and we played gold, then over to the mellen ball course for a burger and cocktail or two. My dog was overheating and it was nice to have some company.

I remember playing with you that summer. It was over 100 and we played gold, then over to the mellen ball course for a burger and cocktail or two. My dog was overheating and it was nice to have some company.
Holy cow I remember that! I hadn't thought of that probably since that year. Its nice when the memories of that summer pop up, there was a lot of great randomness and very few bad days. That 100+ heat... The drought that summer was nasty, but we definitely weren't ever cooped up in because of the rain.

Is Johnny in the photo? If so I'm guessing he's the fella holding the flag with the hat?

Those are the owners of LSV Donna and Dale, and of course the Highbridge whore herself holding the banner. I won't utter her name here but she's been referring to us as the Highbridge Hillbillies. I'll post a pic later of the 30 yard dumpster I filled with her and Johnnie's abandoned garbage piles, and all the birch trees she cut down to sell the boughs. Who's the hillbilly now Elly May?:rolleyes:

If I was the Mountain Man, I'm sure I would work out some kind of deal for her to live there "rent free", or a modest price, wouldn't exactly have to be paid in cash, right?

If I was the Mountain Man, I'm sure I would work out some kind of deal for her to live there "rent free", or a modest price, wouldn't exactly have to be paid in cash, right?

I doubt he wants that drama in his life and I'm pretty sure she isn't telling the whole story.

From the Facetubes said:
I try not to make too many personal posts, but I needed to share my feelings about this
I put nearly 5 years into Highbridge Hills. 5 YEARS of dealing with awful management that constantly harassed me and sabatoged any and all work I was trying to accomplish to better that place. . 5 years of truly pouring my life into that hill . Blood sweat tears and distance from Loved ones. I relocated myself across the country to basically work for free. ( Bc anyone whos ever " worked" for / with John Jokinen, knows he doesn't like to pay people for their work). I stuck around praying someone would come in and give him the boot. And when that day finally came, I left , thinking my job was completed. Then I get a lifetime ban, without explaination or vaild reasoning ( besides I worked for John)
Everyone else who's worked with the POS Jokinen in the past was welcomed with open arms. It frustrates and saddens me that I live so close to the sanctuary that feeds my soul, and I'm not welcome.
Having a broken disc golf heart may sound frivolous, but my spirit is crushed. I don't want drama, never did. I'd love to know what the hill is like without John Jokinen and his diseased Spirit tainting the place.

TL;DR: She poured her heart and soul into the place over The Jok's false promises and is heartbroken that she's been perma-banned.

On the one hand I believe (from the few days of brief interaction with her I've had) that she truly loves the place. I also can't say that I wouldn't believe that she'd be heading back to JJ and giving updates. I am not sure a permaban will be necessary after the dust truly settles and The Jok is entrenched in his next scheme, but a few years while the new crew cleans up the mess is definitely understandable. I can only imagine how many layers they've peeled back only to find more.

Last edited:

Latest posts