• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Holes in a DAy Record Attempt

Steve West

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Dan Schnabel and Mike Sale are zipping around today, trying to play the most holes in 24 hours. They post on their Facebook event page when they get to a new course.

Played 184 so far, on track for 613 holes at the moment.

Unique. Important to know that, thanks. 51 courses lined up to play today.

Last edited:
Unique. Important to know that, thanks. 51 courses lined up to play today.

I think the record you're getting at is most holes without repeating a course. I guess that's what you're calling unique holes. The other record was most holes in a day, but all on the same course.

51 courses in a day?????

Not like short pitch and putt 9ers all day either. Sure there's several of those scattered through there, but they're also hiking the 'mountain' of hyland hills, driving (literally in a golf cart) the length of Ft Snelling, braving the woods of Kaposia and the valley, and making the trek on BRP and Vision Quest.

51 courses in a day?????

Is that even possible? It boggles the mind that there are places in this country where you can even drive to 51 one one courses in one day...much less play ONE hole on any of them.

This is awesome. 380 isn't a 24-hour record....it is a daylight record. But I'm assuming they'll beat the daylight record and then create a record for 24 hours.

I hope we get stats for miles driven and average speed and all that, too. Many years ago, I think it was Conrad Damon and 1 or 2 others that set a record in Cali.....when courses were WAY more spread out than today.....they had all kinds of cool stats. # of gatorades consumed. # of quick turns that might have been eluding a police officer. Total score. Etc.

Edit: Oh look, I found where I already posted about Conrad:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2800614&postcount=124

Also on this old thread, I make the following points why this should be a "daylight-only" record, instead of 24 hours:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34603

Getting permission to play at night at several different locations is a significant obstacle. As a huge challenge, it thus encourages participants to NOT get the proper permission (thus breaking the law), and therefore places a large burden on the ratifiers to make sure no laws were broken.

Playing at night on multiple courses is also a huge safety risk compared to playing a single course all night. And driving at night, either for the participants or their support crew.

But Schnabel had good counter-points a couple posts later.

So go get 'em, daylight and darkness! It's awesome either way.

On track for 595 now. A critical point will be when they check in at Lakewood Hills, after going a ways to get Oakwood.

51 courses in 24 hrs is easily over 1 course every 30 min. What am i missing here? Even if they only played 9ers the whole way through they would have to never stop walking, throw as they approached the tee, pick up discs as they passed them, ditch all lost discs... surely im misunderstanding something.

Last edited:
51 courses in 24 hrs is easily over 1 course every 30 min. What am i missing here? Even if they only played 9ers the whole way through they would have to never stop walking, throw as they approached the tee, pick up discs as they passed them, ditch all lost discs... surely im misunderstanding something.
^this. I'm not calling BS, because there must be some aspect of this I glossed over, but I don't see how it's possible to hit 51 courses in a 24hr period.

That's 28min & 15 sec per course, and that assumes no travel time between courses or anything.
What are we missing?

^this. I'm not calling BS, because there must be some aspect of this I glossed over, but I don't see how it's possible to hit 51 courses in a 24hr period.

That's 28min & 15 sec per course, and that assumes no travel time between courses or anything.
What are we missing?

Is it cumulatively scored? If theyre both on separate routes that would double the numbers. But still that would be two different records. I mean, they would have to use colostomy bags and catheters while throwing from a hang glider right? Again im not calling bs either, surely im not getting something.

You guys aren't missing anything. If they get 51, it will be amazing for sure. But it's for real. Little 9-holers take 5 minutes of play time.

They're not walking, they're running. Still on track for 595 holes at 46 courses.

And courses around here are only about 5 to 15 minutes apart. Some are right across the street, or down a block.

These two guys combined have played like 12,000 holes over the course of 5 days total, so when they say they can do it, I believe them.

They're not walking, they're running. Still on track for 595 holes at 46 courses.

And courses around here are only about 5 to 15 minutes apart. Some are right across the street, or down a block.

Seeing that map of courses in MN is incredbile. But besides that, what they are doing has to be pushing the limits of human endurance. Right?

You guys aren't missing anything. If they get 51, it will be amazing for sure. But it's for real. Little 9-holers take 5 minutes of play time.

If they spent 2.77 min per hole on each 9 hole course. That would take 21.25 hrs total play time, leaving total transition time at 2.75 hrs total, which is 3 min between each course. Thats not counting that it was already stated that each course wont be only 9 holes. If even 25% of the courses were 18 holes thats driving 25% of those numbers up 200%.

Soooo... they ARE using colostomy bags and hang gliders?

Last edited:

What are we missing?

I can casually pace thru many 9 hole courses in 15 min from start to finish. If i was running i think a minute a hole wouldnt be crazy at all.
Seeing that map of courses in MN is incredbile. But besides that, what they are doing has to be pushing the limits of human endurance. Right?

Having done over 200 holes in a day... Yeah big time! We were dead and not even hustling like these guys.

Last edited:
Sale's got it in the bag....he's an animal.

.....a skinny animal but an animal nonetheless

Latest posts