• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Homemade DiscCatcher Gallery

424355_2647338548182_1397222006_31926236_892525443_n.jpg

These baskets will be installed on my private course...

...when I win the lottery. :\

Skinny, that basket looks awesome. Any chance you could post some more pics. I'm interested to see how you put it together.

Yeah ill take some more tomorrow when its light out. Never really had plans whikle making it, just went with the flow. I live on a frickin mountain now with no local course =( it works well as a target, need more chains to be honest but if I hit it square thats good practice id say. Im gonna make more and see what else I can find around the house ;)

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

hopefully you can make it out a little to get a little better idea. id buy more chains if I had the money lol :wall:

That is great work. Kudos to you for the "redneck" engineering. Please don't take that as an insult. My neck is super red, only I'm nowhere near as resourceful. Keep working on more. The game started with people throwing at trees and other objects. You're already a step ahead of that!

I would love to play 18 holes on baskets like this. I would probably be cursing my poor excuse for putting a lot, but that's my fault not the basket's. Way to not let the lack of courses (and funds!) get in the way of enjoying some disc golf! :hfive:

haha no offense taken, I made it in about 2 hours, planning on making my own course in my back yard got plenty of land. not sure how much supplies I have, time to use creativity

Just use sticks suspended with zip ties instead of chains. I've seen ones made with plastic lattice cut into strips and hung with zip ties.

Homemade Basket and Homemade Mini Basket

VERY Heavy duty basket - I like the design of the DisCatcher Pro (sliding chains) so I worked that in. Made of pressure treated wood, have not built a stand yet... Works well, but I have realized that the chain weight is very important, even with 18 strands (12 outer, 6 inner), if they are light, they are no good and discs squirt through.

Basic Specs:
Top - 22" ID, hexagon with evenly spaced 8" lag eye bolts into 2x4's
Basket - 26" ID, dodecagon of 2x8's
Opening - 19" vertical, top of basket to bottom of hexagon
Support - 24" galvanized pipe, ends threaded into flanges

I have to admit, I'm an engineer, and spent a few hours in excel, and trying to remember trigonometry to determine the size of all the components, but now I have a practice basket! If I could, I would post the excel file...

Also built a mini basket, all components purchased at the hardware store for less than $16. One last modification will be to cut the center post into 3 sections, and add couplings so it can collapse completely in to a bucket with lid. Pretty proud of this one, and works well!

Needed Materials:
5 gal bucket with lid
2' threaded rod (1/4" minimum)
Scrap shelving, at least 1'x2'x0.75"
4 small wood screws
5 nuts, 4 washers for threaded rod
15 4" zip ties
15 lengths of jack chain, 12" (my bucket conveniently had 30 ridges on top)
2 couplings for threaded rod (will add this to make it fully collapsible)

Attachments

• 132_0889smaller.jpg
    132_0889smaller.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 243
  • 132_0892smaller.jpg
    132_0892smaller.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 127
  • 132_0894smaller.jpg
    132_0894smaller.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 120
Home Made Mini Basket Pics

Pics of the mini basket construction.

Attachments

• IMG-20120225-00046smaller.jpg
    IMG-20120225-00046smaller.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG-20120225-00038smaller.jpg
    IMG-20120225-00038smaller.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG-20120225-00037smaller.jpg
    IMG-20120225-00037smaller.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 53
This basket Stand/Base is amazing I can lay the basket all the way down to the ground and the stand stays in place, I let go of the basket and it swings right back up and doesnt tip over. The legs can extend another 2 ft and there are multiple height settings for each leg so the terrain you place the basket is not an issue.

Attachments

• DG Basket and stand.jpg
    DG Basket and stand.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 215
These are great baskets. Did you take the PDGA specs into account? You should submit it for approval. 18 of these would make a course shine. Those hexagon corners look like they would really punish my high putts.

Last edited:
Here are a couple of better pics

Attachments

• Basket with extended legs.jpg
    Basket with extended legs.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 147
  • Basket spring.jpg
    Basket spring.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 144
  • Basket moving.jpg
    Basket moving.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 129