• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Honest Question - soft landing discs

Landing flat with very little speed is what you want. 150g Polecat for me. I don't worry about the firmness of the plastic.

Research the "Blowfly", comes in handy for shots where you absolutely don't want a roll down on the other side of the hill.

In rollaway terrain, I throw spike hyzers with a Gumbputt---the only time that disc gets used. It's too floppy for normal putts.

IMO it has much more to do with angles and flight manipulation than plastic.

But like others said, it's more in how you land, than the disc you land with. The biggest danger is the low putt that hits the basket, falls to the ground at a weird angle, and takes off rolling.

How you land has as much to do with it as what you throw. To reduce rolling, throw at an angle so the disc lands as parallel as possible to the ground upon initial contact.

When aproaching a sloped surface, you also need to be cognizant of the direction the disc will be travelling relative to the slope where hits the ground and what gravity will do to it.

Landing flat with very little speed is what you want.

All these hit the nail on the head better than any disc recommendation.

Type of disc doesn't matter. Type of plastic doesn't matter. Discs are round...they will roll no matter how firm or soft they are if they land on their edge at the right angle.

A disc that lands as close to parallel to the playing surface as possible is not going to stand up and roll away (unless it hits a rock/root and stands up) no matter how hard or soft the plastic is. Ditto for skips as well.

Against conventional wisdom and probably opening myself up for a brutal flame attack from long-time players, physics majors, etc., I posit that the softer plastics actually make rollaways more common. In my experience, they tend to rebound more off the ground, making them more likely to stand up and catch an edge, kind of the trampoline effect. I know I got a lot more rollaways from my Soft Judge than I do my Hard Spike when long putting/upshots. I rarely get rollaways on inside the circle stuff no matter what disc I'm using.

I stopped using my Blowfly on death putts because of rollaways. Sure It's great if it lands flat, but I've had it bounce out of or off of the basket enough times now to know better. It's like the thing wants to be on edge. 30' putt for bird? Let's make that 50' for par. Now I use an Atom, still grippy, but doesn't jump at every chance to get on edge.

I don't understand how they can roll away when there's sides on the basket to keep them in???

Sooooooo confused.

:p

Hitting that damn cage is what causes most of the roll aways! :doh:

The worst are uphill putts when you KNOW you have to putt it higher than normal, and you STILL hit the cage -- and BAM, there it goes down the freaking hill. :| Well this almost happened to me the last time I was playing alone, disc hit the cage, got on edge and started rolling down the hill right towards me. So as it was on it's happy way zipping towards me, I grabbed it before it rolled by and putted it again without having to move my stance -- saved par ;)

I use a Polecat b/c it's easier to get to come in for a flat landing, which as others have alluded to already, is really the trick to reducing rollaway potential. Any of the lid type discs are good for this b/c their slowness makes them so manipulable, plus the flat rim tends to roll a little less than a beveled edge IMO.

I throw RHBH if I'm not to far out I usually putt with a slight hyzer or perfectly straight and flat. If I'm out to far to where the putter has to come in to fast and have a chance for roll away I putt on an anhyzer and if I miss it usually comes in nice and flat like a spaceship landing so to speak. Seems to work for me anyhow.:D

Thanks Everyone !!!

As usual, a wealth of practical advice and knowledge. While my putting has improved dramatically in the last six months, I still struggle to get either a flat or anny trajectory beyond 20' (especially with heavier discs).

Well, back to the practice basket. Thanks again. :clap:

I forgot to mention that a grenade might be worthwhile for this too. I don't know about sloped greens but they usually come down so vertically that they bounce and flop dead.

An even more obscure shot that may or may not help is a push shot, useful for throwing gentle flex shots at close range.

R-Pro Aviar fo me. Soft and floppy.

Softer plastic might not be any less prone to spit-outs, but when they hit the ground, they pretty much stay on the ground.

Against conventional wisdom and probably opening myself up for a brutal flame attack from long-time players, physics majors, etc., I posit that the softer plastics actually make rollaways more common. In my experience, they tend to rebound more off the ground, making them more likely to stand up and catch an edge, kind of the trampoline effect. I know I got a lot more rollaways from my Soft Judge than I do my Hard Spike when long putting/upshots. I rarely get rollaways on inside the circle stuff no matter what disc I'm using.

totally agree. :clap:

great video! i hadn't seen that one before. excellent explanation of the scooby

While, of course, shooting the scoobie/grenade is worth a try; I would point out that generally speaking; I've primarily seen "big arm" guys use it vs. lesser power players....

I carry a Vibram soft mid-range that I use to stick landings. Shoot, my Omega SS putter also sticks landings well.

The more flexible the disc, the better it sticks, so find a really flexible putter or mid. 86 Softie, Blowfly, Vibram X-Link Soft in the mold of your choice.

No flames. I'll just point out that there's a great deal of experience behind my advocacy of soft, flexible discs for sticking landings. I've landed thousands of throws of both firm and soft discs and the firms discs skip more, slide more, and stand up and roll far more than the softies.

I can't really say that a soft Judge is actually a soft disc. Can you roll it up like a burrito, flatten it back out, and then continue throwing it?

No flames. I'll just point out that there's a great deal of experience behind my advocacy of soft, flexible discs for sticking landings. I've landed thousands of throws of both firm and soft discs and the firms discs skip more, slide more, and stand up and roll far more than the softies.

I can't really say that a soft Judge is actually a soft disc. Can you roll it up like a burrito, flatten it back out, and then continue throwing it?

No, I don't think you can roll it up. I could certainly fold it half but I think that's it. I certainly wouldn't discount years of experience and thousands of throws. I trust you to know what you're talking about. Most of my upshots these days are with a Comet, so even though it's hard (Elite Z Plastic), it's a pretty perfect disc for upshots and I rarely get rollaways with it, so maybe that colors my perceptions somewhat.