• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Honest Question - soft landing discs

PBokor

Eagle Member
What makes a 'soft' landing disc? I practice at home on soft PGA style grass which always grabs the disc near the basket.

My local course likes to offer the additional challenge of multiple death putts (miss by the inch, pay by the mile). A 10' putt can easily go to a couple +30' come-backs. Makes getting it close and stopping it paramount. Elevation, river rocks, and hard-pan make for painful recovery and plenty of roll-always.

I haven't tried a ton of molds, but of those I have, the DX Birdie and soft electrons seem best.

Thoughts on discs that land soft and stick?

IMO it has much more to do with angles and flight manipulation than plastic.

That being said baseline plastics, especially softer blends, grab a bit better.

Definition please.

The ten meter brick is a gimmicky terrible piece of plastic made by the now defunct Quest AT. Most of the weight was in the center of the disc, and the rim was thin and near floppy.

Basically it was hard to grip and had some indentions on the top that killed the glide even though it was pretty understable.

They were so soft on the rim that wherever it hit it would usually just do this weird half bounce and stay there.

If you are super scared of roll aways, DGA makes the Gumputt and Blowfly that are made of rubbery plastic so soft that you can roll them up like a burrito and stick them in your pocket.

The trick to avoiding roll aways is usually to make the disc land at a slowish speed at the same angle as the surface it is landing on. Or fading into the angle just slightly so the the spin takes the disc into the surface instead o with it.

The 10M Brick is a putter that is no longer approved for competition. It was good for about 10M max and then essentially dropped and stopped.

I like this characteristic of the birdie, though I know guys who throw blowflies that are extremely roll-resistant.

But like others said, it's more in how you land, than the disc you land with. The biggest danger is the low putt that hits the basket, falls to the ground at a weird angle, and takes off rolling.

2 of the 3 courses I play most have plenty of "death putts" and fast, rollaway greens, so I get plenty of practice.

I lean towards my soft vibram putter or innova zephyr when I need a disc to stick

Sent from my Alcatel_6055U using Tapatalk

Believe it or not the DGA signature plastics will roll away. I have seen all four of the molds roll at least once, though as long as it lands flat it usually just hits and sticks.

Classic soft suspect. Sticks and doesn't skip.

Blowfly.

I just got my first soft suspect after throwing a few lucid. It blows my mind how much it sticks off of big hyper throws. No skip at all.

Just watched James "snappy" cole throwing a 150 class aviar. Throwing slightly nose up with spin will get a soft landing with neutral to understable approach discs. Easy shot to practice.

Another case of it being more about how you throw the disc ,rather then which disc is used.

Agree that gummy Rhino, Gumbputts....are roll and slide resistant. I usually will throw a high loft, flat anhyzer approach. Usually lands very soft and flat. This release and shot is a valuable weapon.

My buddy has a Blunt Gumbputt. It's so pliable, you can easily fold it in half like a taco with no worries about losing it's original shape. He uses it with great success for death putts, like you mentioned. No rollouts what so ever and pretty much sticks where it lands. It's like putting with a rubber chicken in the form of a disc.

Generally, anny throws should come in and land more softly than hyzers that would skip. In addition, soft plastic putters will land and grab the ground a bit better than hard and/or premium plastic discs.

Daredevil Woodchuck is my favorite hit and stick soft putter.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

How you land has as much to do with it as what you throw. To reduce rolling, throw at an angle so the disc lands as parallel as possible to the ground upon initial contact.

When aproaching a sloped surface, you also need to be cognizant of the direction the disc will be travelling relative to the slope where hits the ground and what gravity will do to it.

Physics also favors a softer material for a more inelastic collision thst absorbs more energy. All other things being equal, harder, stiffer discs tend to transmit more energy into being redirected (elastic collisions), absorbing less energy in terms of deforming on contact. Think of cushioning a blow and the materials used to absorb the energy of impact.

Last edited: