• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How did Prodigy get so big so fast?

IDK if these companies like Prodigy, Trilogy, Vibram, etc are really as big as everyone seems to think. I've seen multiple disc retailers take a chance because they talk to a few excited fans of these companies and none of the stuff sells to the except for Innova because the bulk of players are casuals who generally recognize the brand from baskets and course installation. Hell the local PIAS had to mark down all the Discmania since no one would buy it and it's molded by Innova. I've never seen any MVP for sale around here and trying to get anyone to carry some Gateway, even just a stash of Wizards is a no go. Even Discraft stuff tends to be limited, maybe some Buzzes, Nukes, and Magnets, but not much of anything else, never even saw any ESP or FLX for sale just Pro-D or Z.

Lat 64 was definitely around before the DD team up, but they were a smaller niche in the market. I really didn't start seeing their stuff around, aside from a disc here or there, until the trilogy days.

This is essentially my experience with Lat 64 in my area.

The only reason Prodigy is even around in our state, NM, is because they sponsored the State Coordinator who's also the state's top pro. He's done a good job of getting the Prodigy product in to players hands by making them take it in players packs, payouts, requiring their putters at putting leagues, and other events.
Had that pro been sponsored by Lightning everyone here would be running around throwing Hookshot #1s.

Cue said top pro in 3, 2, 1....

Kyle is pretty much right. And sponsoring people like myself is a part of their marketing strategy. Although our market here in NM is tiny compared to 95% of the disc golf world there is a bunch of people using the product here. That's part of the responsibilities of a sponsored player like myself. There are other pros out there better than me without sponsorship, but they do not run 6+ events over the year and have an influence on newer players. Our scene is growing here and often I'm asked what I throw and why, so naturally I try and steer them to the company that believed in me and helps me out.

Prodigy is a very small business, without the resources of DD and others. DD will take an RV to your town and literally put the discs in your hand directly which is an excellent and proven approach to growing their brand. Prodigy uses its Team to promote the product and get it in people's hands. Before getting sponsored, I had only thrown a D1 when they were first released. I took to the product quickly and found it easy to replace the stuff that was in my bag. I have literally given away hundreds of Prodigy discs to players to help promote the product. I feel that's the #1 responsibility of a sponsored player is to help grow the company that puts its backing behind you. I honestly don't know how I got picked up in the first place, as I didn't know any of the Team personally nor do I travel much outside NM, TX AZ and CO, but I think they recognized the potential for me to get their product out there. The product is really good and is selling better than most people think. Especially the baskets and new bags. They are having a hard time keeping them in stock. The newly released A series is selling well also.

Lol. One of the founders said peace out and they had some major mishaps when first putting out discs. The mids were basically renamed/retooled. I do love a good oval shaped disc too specially one that the color disapears from UV light... :|

If you're referring to who I think you are then you don't know the whole story. This isn't the place for the whole story, it's not really my place to say even if it was since I'm not associated with Prodigy. But if we're talking about the same person he didn't simply say peace out

sure he did. gimme mines im out' pretty simple.

was not everyone getting rich off the hot selling items?!

I'm really surprised at the lack of love Prodigy is getting on this site. Especially with their media presence, and the fact that they have one two of the top players in the game right now on the team.

Granted I only bag an F5, but it is one of my favorites that I have, reeaaallyyyy nice reliable disc. I also dont have much local access, only my local Dunham's sells discs, and only Innova's, so Im only throwing like one or two of other brand discs.

I'm really surprised at the lack of love Prodigy is getting on this site. Especially with their media presence, and the fact that they have one two of the top players in the game right now on the team.

Granted I only bag an F5, but it is one of my favorites that I have, reeaaallyyyy nice reliable disc. I also dont have much local access, only my local Dunham's sells discs, and only Innova's, so Im only throwing like one or two of other brand discs.

When they first released a lot of people here bought into it. Then I think they figured out the discs weren't anything new or exemplary.

Which two top players would you say they have? Schusterick obviously is very, very good, but I still think that Wysocki and McBeth are the top two and have distanced themselves from the rest speaking in terms of the last 6 months or so. I almost wouldn't count Paige as on their team, since she's not even wearing their logo in tournaments.

In all honesty, I know nothing about their media presence (other than what's posted here) and I've never thrown one of their discs. So I can't say one way or another why they are popular or not. To me they are just another disc company, and there are a ton of them anymore so standing out is tougher than it's ever been. Disc golf is still very much a regional sport. Dynamic has a lot of momentum here, but I'm sure that's partially because I'm only about 3 hours from Emporia too. I'm sure Prodigy is quite big in the southeast.

Last edited:
When they first released a lot of people here bought into it. Then I think they figured out the discs weren't anything new or exemplary.

Which two top players would you say they have? Schusterick obviously is very, very good, but I still think that Wysocki and McBeth are the top two and have distanced themselves from the rest speaking in terms of the last 6 months or so. I almost wouldn't count Paige as on their team, since she's not even wearing their logo in tournaments.

In all honesty, I know nothing about their media presence (other than what's posted here) and I've never thrown one of their discs. So I can't say one way or another why they are popular or not. To me they are just another disc company, and there are a ton of them anymore so standing out is tougher than it's ever been. Disc golf is still very much a regional sport. Dynamic has a lot of momentum here, but I'm sure that's partially because I'm only about 3 hours from Emporia too. I'm sure Prodigy is quite big in the southeast.

I meant that those two (Paige and Will), are two players in the highest realms of dg, not the top two of all time, my bad. And by media presence I suppose I meant you see em advertised all over the dg websites.

Is Paige really not repping them much anymore? I havent been watching many tournaments since fall on YT or anything. And dont forget they've got Big Jerm too - unless I'm not up to date on that either:p

D3 and D4 400g series are amazing. I originally had my doubts about Prodigy, until I through the D3. I had to follow that up with a D4.

My bag features Innova, Discraft, Lat64, Gateway, MVP, and Prodigy discs. I play no favorites!

Is Paige really not repping them much anymore? I havent been watching many tournaments since fall on YT or anything. And dont forget they've got Big Jerm too - unless I'm not up to date on that either:p

I'd say "much anymore" is an understatement. At the Memorial she still bags several Prodigy discs but she's throwing a mixed bag with Trilogy stuff right now, plus recently picking up Hand Eye supply, she isn't wearing any Prodigy gear, that I saw at least.

As far as the popularity of Prodigy, I can give my data from 258 discs pulled out of the water after The Memorial in Arizona. Granted, many of the players are from Arizona and California, but this is what we literally found. 53.1% were Innova, 9.7% were Discraft, 8.5% were Dynamic Discs, 5.4% were Latitude 64, 5.0% were Westside, 5.0% were Prodigy, 3.9% were Legacy, 3.5% were Discmania, 1.2% were Millenium, 1.2% were Prodiscus, 0.4% were MVP, and 0.4% were Vibram. Of those 258 discs, 60.5% were drivers, 15.5% were fairway drivers, 11.6% were midranges, and 12.4% were putters.

their 400 and 400g plastic is pretty damn good. it's some of the grippiest out there.

750 is bulletproof.

their base plastic is decent as well, their putters are nice and flat and with most of their options available in both premium and base/midgrade, you can cycle and pick your preference for shots vs slots.

they have good discs. the d series is alright, the h1 has basically redefined "beef" for this era of disc golf since the z extreme doesn't exist anymore and FAF firebirds are fluke runs. and cale is an amazing guy with a real passion for the sport. no surprise that prodigy has caught on here in MN. as far as the original explosion, it's because they finagled a bunch of big names from established companies. it was a great move. sure it may be settling down now, but i think prodigy is doing just fine.

financially how did they do it? no idea.

Last edited:
As far as the popularity of Prodigy, I can give my data from 258 discs pulled out of the water after The Memorial in Arizona. Granted, many of the players are from Arizona and California, but this is what we literally found. 53.1% were Innova, 9.7% were Discraft, 8.5% were Dynamic Discs, 5.4% were Latitude 64, 5.0% were Westside, 5.0% were Prodigy, 3.9% were Legacy, 3.5% were Discmania, 1.2% were Millenium, 1.2% were Prodiscus, 0.4% were MVP, and 0.4% were Vibram. Of those 258 discs, 60.5% were drivers, 15.5% were fairway drivers, 11.6% were midranges, and 12.4% were putters.

I had no idea MVP and Vibram throwers were so accurate.

So the lesson here is throw MVP or Vibram to have the lowest chance of landing in the water. And Innova discs are more than 5 times as likely to land in the water than those of the title sponsor, Discraft. ;)

So these stats show that Innova discs go into the water more often than others. :D

(*ducking*)

Seriously, that's good info, thanks for sharing it.

Im kind of surprised that MVP isn't outnumbering a brand like for example Discmania

Last edited:

Latest posts