• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How did you start playing?

My first year['79] at USM I played on the ultimate team, and there was an object course laid out on campus. I played about 75 rounds that first year.

had knee replacement 4 years ago at age 44 and had to give up most traditional sports I was playing. Was too young not to be active still, so buddy mentioned disc golf. I remember hearing about it in the 70's and thought it was cool. Never knew there were courses around me. Tried it and it became my new passion. hopefully the knee holds out a few more years.

Started playing about a month ago. Had a few friends that have been playing for a while. They've brought it up but never really invited me to play. All of them started inviting me to play at the same time so figured to give it a shot. Been hooked since. Still got a long way to go. Getting par for me is an achievement, but as long as I see progress I'm happy with that and know the good scores will come with time.

I did get carried away and bought way too many discs haha, and I was unfortunate enough to get a Groove as well. Toned it back and only really play with a couple of slower discs trying to get the basics down before going disc crazy.

A cousin discovered it---Lord knows how---and introduced my brother to it, who immediately introduced it to me. The cousin didn't stick with it, but the rest of my family.....

This was back in the mid-90s when there were 2 courses in the state, and there was only one other group that we ever saw at Earlewood. For a while, we had the impression that disc golf was unique to our town.

And now thanks to that cousin we have Stoney Hill?

Started disc golfing (very very poorly) with my dad & uncles when I was a toddler & have learned a lot from a lot of good disc golfers over the years. I started throwing backhand (still do). By my early teens I was throwing sidearm, backhand & tomahawk (equally horrible). I started playing tournaments & leagues when i was 14. Now I disc 3-6 times a week & practice putting about every other day on my Discatcher Traveler (I wanna better basket) & I've been on here constantly since I joined....I'm addicted.

Me and my cousin were sitting around taking tequila shots at eleven in the morning one day and he said, "lets go play disc golf!" I was like, "What the F#*! is that?!? We went and played, and I had a blast. We started going out and playing a lot. We would use it as an excuse to get outside and enjoy a nice day, and an excuse to party. We would play six holes, then go down to the river and swim and party, then play the rest of the course. For the first year I played with just one tie-dye disc(don't even know what it was, the stamp was wiped).

Terribly. Just like everyone else.

But honestly? My boss's new boyfriend (now husband) introduced her to it and she said I should come out with them and try it. I had friends from college and my hometown that I found out had played (even though I didn't know it when I'd lived there), so I'd been considering it for some time anyway. They handed me a Beast, random mid, and random putter and we went for it. Turns out the dude knew nothing about disc golf and plays about twice a year. I've only played with them three times since and they're floored by how much better I am than they are now. Maybe it's the hours of field work... But I'm still awful compared to everyone else on here. So it's nice to have someone that you know you can decimate in a round.

But backtracking for a sec: I went straight to PIAS after they dropped me off and bought three discs with no input whatsoever from the staff. Scored on the Gazelle, but the Monster and Dart were stupid investments...

My 9yr old son saw someone playing and said he wanted to try it. I bought a few entry level disks and found out we both liked it. Been a little over a week now.

1981-page-0.jpg

:D

My 9yr old son saw someone playing and said he wanted to try it. I bought a few entry level disks and found out we both liked it. Been a little over a week now.

Nice! My initial story that started this thread is really only my first start. I wasn't playing very much and it wasn't until about two years later I started playing a lot. My dad enjoyed it too and we would go play every week during the summer. I always like hearing those sorts of stories. I have introduced several father/son groups to it now.

Welcome to the sport!

My g/f and I (now wife) bought our house about four years ago. One block, dead-end street that ends at a nature park. Awesome little place, no traffic. Meyer Nature Park. We walked through the park the first week we lived here and stumbled upon a herd of 5 deer (who still like to play in my backyard in the winter), a river, and a 9 hole dg course.

A year later, we got a dog, which I would walk through said park, on the 3/4 mile trail that winds through it, and along the woods and river. Started finding discs, and after a couple months I ended up with a stack of about 12, after returning about ten more. Figured, what the hell, I'll try it out, and found out I dig it.

About the same time, one of my best friends was discovering it on his own at other nearby courses. Needless to say, we now play pretty much every weekend, and we both manage to get in multiple other rounds during the week.

My ex-boss (gordonbombay on DGCR) introduced me to the game. He mentioned that he disc golfed, explained what it was, mentioned there was a course in a park near my house where I used to hang out a lot when I was a bit younger. I thought the whole concept sounded fairly ridiculous. :D :p

So finally I went along. I remember having a valk that went about 50 ft forward and then about 20 ft directly to the left. :rolleyes: Finally, I got fed up with the valk and started throwing an ultimate lid. That's when it clicked and I started having fun.

After a handful of outings on the local 9er, he took me to Rogers Lakewood. I shot ridiculously bad, but had the time of my life. I couldn't believe how HUGE and MAJESTIC and BRUTAL RLW was that first time out. Totally hooked me on tough, adventure-style golfing for sure.

Incidentally, I still can't seem to throw drivers very well. :eek: :D

My high school was a couple blocks from a 9-hole course, and my PE teacher bought a bunch of discs and walked our class to the park a few times. I don't believe he was a disc golfer, but am grateful for the introduction. Picked up a tie-dye valkyrie a couple years later and was hooked. Still throw Valkyries, I get just a little bit more D out of them now.

Wish I knew what discs we threw in that PE class. I seem to remember a wedge being one of them, but can't say for sure.

Had a couple of friends that played and talked me into going. Went and bought a dx eagle and a dx aviar. Played for six months or so then quit. Fast forward almost 5 years to last october and I passed by a local course one day And got the itch again and haven't looked back. Sadly I threw that dx eagle in the drink a couple of months ago. Loved that disc.

I started by calling my coworkers f-ing retarded for playing such a dumb sport!!! After about a month of me giving them crap they took me out. By hole 2 I was hooked lol! But I didn't really get into it until about August of last year. Now I play 5-6 days a week an usually 3-4 rounds on my days off.

Depends on your perspective on what "start" constitutes! ;)

My fiends and I used to play "Frisbee golf" in the late 70s and early to mid 80s. Had no idea at the time that there was such a concept, we just threw Ultimate discs at random targets for something to do if there weren't enough kids around to play ultimate. Any field, schoolyard or lightly wooded area was fine.

About 2 years ago, I started thinking about taking up disc golf since I drive by a course twice a day, minimum. This spring, said DGC was selling discs for a town fundraiser. Bought a disc and was instantly hooked. Now I'm planning a 3 basket, 9 hole course (3 completely different approaches to same basket) on my property to keep my practice up. Damned addictive personalities! :D

Bored one day, friends were going discing. Figured I'd tag along. Someone handed me a sidewinder at the course and I played almost every single day afterwards all summer long.

My buddy went off to college at Iowa State. when he came back for Fall Break he had a whole bag and got us few of us to go try it. it was love after first throw. bought a DX Shark same day and a DX teebird and Aviar with my next paycheck.
we (family and friends) used to spend hours throwing a frisbee back and forth in the street. in fact i learned to throw a frisbee before a ball.

While I was yet in high school, a friend of mine had a dad who played regularly at South Mountain in PA. He introduced me and a few guys to the game but never played again for years.

After I got my driver's license in 2006, I got a disc or two and introduced some friends. We were hooked...but only used a putter for a year or two until I was shown what to get and throw...never the same again.