• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you fight the WIND>?

evansr10

Par Member
Today was a really windy day on the course and it completely screwed up all of my shots, so much so that I ended up quitting after the first 4 holes just to practice throwing into the wind. So what's your secret/strategy? I think my discs might be too light for the wind because my Valk turns into a roller and my Wraith goes way up in the air and crashes 50 feet to the right.

Fool! You cannot fight the elements. Wind, Fire, Earth, and Water will win every time!

Seriously, though, try heavier discs. Some discs are really good at slicing through the wind, especially head on. I prefer a heavy Groove (I throw rhfh) going into the wind and a Wraith or mid-range disc for throwing with the wind.

more overstable discs. if you were to normally throw a Wraith you might reach for a Destroyer in the headwind

Please do not listen to the suggestion of throwing a groove into the wind. That is clearly a bad idea, especially if your valk is turning immediately into a roller. I played sunset yesterday and live only a couple hours away and the wind was horrible here too. What you really need when youre throwing directly into the wind is an overstable driver. Many people have different preferences on what they like for a headwind driver, but it typically ranges between the firebird, teerex, or excalibur. Adn you can never go wrong on a headwind type shot with a Drone.

Try something more overstable into the wind, stick to your understable plastic with the wind. You might try a banshee for headwind drives, or a teerex as a more stable disc at the same speed as your wraith. Don't think of it as fighting the wind, think of it as using the wind to shape your shots. Expect headwinds to make your discs act faster and more understable, and tailwinds to make your discs act slower and more overstable.

Yeah. Generally heavier, more overstable discs are a little more predictable in the wind. I try not to think of it as "fighting" the wind... more like riding the wind. You have to give the disc a real smooth, but crisp release making sure the nose isn't up. Any wobble in your disc will be amplified by the wind.

Please do not listen to the suggestion of throwing a groove into the wind. That is clearly a bad idea, especially if your valk is turning immediately into a roller. I played sunset yesterday and live only a couple hours away and the wind was horrible here too. What you really need when youre throwing directly into the wind is an overstable driver. Many people have different preferences on what they like for a headwind driver, but it typically ranges between the firebird, teerex, or excalibur. Adn you can never go wrong on a headwind type shot with a Drone.

Please note I did not suggest he use a Groove, merely that that is the disc I prefer throwing into the wind with. It works quite well for me, thanks. ;)

Yep, what they all said.
Throw low to the deck, overstable,heavy discs, in the fastest speed you feel comfortable with, me I like Xcal type speed into the wind.
Never let the underside of your putter "see" a crosswind when you are putting.

So what's your secret/strategy?

i kick and punch at the wind wildly. cursing at it the whole time. hasnt seem to workout for me yet but one of these days ill kick that long winded old man's butt.
essentially you have 2 options. 1) disc selection. heavier, more overstable discs fight much better. 2) technique. learn the proper release angle and you can make any disc fight the wind. altho there are other options these are the broadest.

Throw overstable, heaver drivers on a hyzer line if possible, it's time to buy a Predator, Drone and Zone my friend and you will never worry about wind again.

Overstable discs are great for headwinds, but aren't a panacea for all wind situations.

my Wraith goes way up in the air and crashes 50 feet to the right.
That sounds like a 'nose up' problem. Try keeping the nose of the disc slightly down. If you turn the belly up to the wind, its likely going for a ride in the wrong direction.

So what's your secret/strategy?

I find a swift roundhouse to the temple is the most effective way to fight the wind.

If that doesn't work try the open-palm slap method: place hands straight out in front of you, palms forward. Run into the headwind and lean forward as to utilize your momentum effectively. You may fall onto the ground when the wind "gives up", but trust me you hurt it more than it hurt you.

As often as not you can use the wind rather than always fighting it. Just study what's going on before you decide on your flight path.

Overstable discs, although I wouldnt jump too far up on that all the time. Depends on how hard the wind is blowing.

Also, make sure to keep your nose down, otherwise; its not going to matter what disc you throw, the wind will keep lifting it until it hyzers way out.

I tend to use one of my 3 predators off the tee for crossing winds and headwinds, each a bit different stability depending on the conditions. For tailwinds I tend to use a striker - it's more neutral flight allows it to harness a tailwind better than a wraith, which can become much more overstable with a strong tailwind.

Best advice I can give in the wind is to try and keep your disc nose down and low - this gives the disc the best chance of fighting the wind and not being affected as much as a higher shot.

Throw your most overstable disc in a head wind, your most understable disc in a tail wind.

Throw more overstable putter in wind- or replace putter with mid in blustery conditions. Keep putt down in headwind, add a little height to putts in a tail wind.

Some advice I was given and use regularly.