• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you play a course multiple Tees?

dustinkirk

I'm updating my smartphone scorecard app with the ability to track what color tee you throw from. Before I assume people in general play a certain way, I wanted to ask how you play courses.

How often, if ever, do you switch between tee colors during a game?
If you want to play an intermediate course vs pro course, do you maintain the course for the duration of the game, or switch depending on the hole?

Also, if playing with a group of people, how likely is it that you all throw from the same tee?

Thanks,
-d-

When I'm playing a new course, I generally play whatever seems like the most established layout, and in most cases that means the longs. On my home course I play about 3/4 longs and 1/4 shorts in casual rounds, a lot of league rounds are half and half. If a course has well-designed longs and shorts, my fiancee and I will often compete from the two sets of tees.

I like to throw from the most interesting tee. (Which is not necessarily the longest.)

As for playing in a group, whoever is up first chooses the tee for that hole.

I like to throw from the most interesting tee. (Which is not necessarily the longest.)

Me, too.

At least when I'm traveling and checking out a course for the first and only time. Though the tendency is toward the longest tees to play the "full course".

(As a routine matter, it's a non-issue for me because few courses I play often have multiple tees.)

We during the winter to play long/medium, switching on every hole.

But as long as I could just create another layout for that and name it appropriately, I would probably have limited use for it keeping track of the exact teetype on each hole.

But of possible, would be nice, for statistical use.

Longs first time generally, maybe a short if I had to scout ahead to figure out exactly where the basket is on a blind hole and wanting to conserve some energy.

Shorts almost for sure on a course new to me that is snow covered and blind.

If I am playing a new course I will usually play whatever tee I think looks the funnest, regardless if it is long,mid ,or short. If a hole looks like the long tee is just an open bomber and the short tee has some obstacles I will usually pick the short (there is enough open bombers on my home course). I also take rough/water into consideration if I am at an away course as I would rather not spend my time there looking for a disc and then have less chance of getting it back ever if I do not find it. So I would be more apt to pick a short hole and play a safer game. If I am just playing casual rounds on my home course we usually play either all longs or all shorts or we will do odds longs/evens short or vice versa.

Rarely do I switch tees mid round. If I start from long/short tees, ill usually play the whole round from respective tee

There are a couple of courses I know of that have two sets of tees on every hole, marked red or blue. All of the odd holes, blue will be the longer/more difficult hole, and on the even holes, red is the longer/more difficult. In this case, you have four different course combinations.

RED Tees
BLUE Tees
LONG Tees
SHORT Tees

Playing local courses, I tend to mix things up a bit.

When I'm travelling, there's a good chance I'm playig 2-3 rounds a day, and enjoyment is key, so I tend to play the short tees unless they are grass/dirt and the longs are concrete. I hate feeling tired at the end of a long day of discing or driving and feeling my control just isn't there when I reach back for a little more "D" and end up spraying discs into the brush when I know I could have been in the fairway had I thrown from the short tee - just not fun.

I'll play the long on a given hole if there's a primo tee position that just makes me feel I have to throw from it.

Last edited:
Since we usually play two rounds, the group I play in likes to play "long odds" (Long tees on odd holes, short on even) during one of the rounds and "short odds" during the other round. It keeps the course distance and scores about the same for both rounds and we get to play all of the tees.

Since it's a group of (slow walking) grandmasters, we can play fast enough to not be a problem when playing the short/long odds... whereas, when we played all long tees, we held up weekend play a little too much.

Thanks for the input. I believe I have enough to conclude. Here are my design notes...

The ability to track Multiple Tees will be turned off by default, but the option will be available when starting a game.

When enabled, Tee color will be set on a per/hole bases.

The tee color for a hole will default to the color of the last hole played.

Long If possible- short if group decides-As well as possible-With as much fun as neccesssary.Peace.

I don't consider a 1/2 short / 1/2 long to be a real round, so I play either all shorts or all longs.

If i'm at a new course, I will 99% play the shorts the first round, unless it just really looks like the shorts are too boring. I like to get the lay of the land from the shorts, eye out the longs while playing, and then next time I'll play the longs.

Around here many of the courses have 3 sets of tees. I almost always play from the middle tees. The wife plays from the closer tees. If there are only 2 sets of tees I play longs, she plays shorts.

Only on the rarest of situations do we alter that format.

If I get to play enough rounds on the course, I'll play all the tee positions.
I play whatever tees the group plays, unless they are extremely short.
As long as its not much more than 250' of water, I always throw over it.

When I'm playing a new course, I generally play whatever seems like the most established layout, and in most cases that means the longs. On my home course I play about 3/4 longs and 1/4 shorts in casual rounds, a lot of league rounds are half and half. If a course has well-designed longs and shorts, my fiancee and I will often compete from the two sets of tees.
Congrats - she's a keeper.

I generally stick to one set of tees. I like DGCR's option of color selection of tees for courses, but perhaps you could put in primary colors and then add short, long, am, pro if you're using a drop-down menu. There's too many variables and perhaps you're best skipping colors all together because of it.

Latest posts