• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How I Would Change the PDGA

I've been a member since 2001 and served 6 years as the IL State Coordinator. For such a small organization I think the PDGA is doing a great job. You see the handful of haters out there that flame the PDGA constantly.

As a whole a PDGA membership is cheap compared to other hobbies. I played paint ball for the first time last weekend and dropped as much as my membership in one day. I've compared disc golf to many hobbies and disc golf (PDGA membership/Tournaments) is almost always cheaper when you start comparing.

PDGA memberships and # of tournaments is at an all time high. That's going to continue. Some minor tweaks could be made but overall the system is growing.

This is my viewpoint as well. The PDGA's main focus should be on putting together a strong product that it can sell. A strong pro tour is that product. I appreciate the efforts to improve the experience for ams, but the bulk of money and effort should be spent building something that brings spectators and sponsors.

Where does that money come from? If you make the PDGA focused solely on the pro tour, ams are going to stop joining. Suddenly you've got even less money to work with. Even if you did change the focus like that, what is it we should be spending money on that will suddenly bring in sponsors?

I believe one of the largest methods to increase the Pro purse without changing a large amount of the entry fees would be to reduce the depth of payout for the MPO division. If I'm not mistaken, the current pro payout is 40% of the division's field. If the payout were trimmed to the top 25%, there would be more money for those players that routinely finish at the top.

TDs are already welcome to do that as long as they advertise ahead of time that they're not following the payout tables. I think the reason that's not happening is probably because most TDs feel that they would get a much smaller turnout if they did that. Your payouts don't get any bigger if you make the payout top heavy but a bunch of people who would have been middle of the pack don't bother showing up without the chance to cash.

TDs are already welcome to do that as long as they advertise ahead of time that they're not following the payout tables. I think the reason that's not happening is probably because most TDs feel that they would get a much smaller turnout if they did that. Your payouts don't get any bigger if you make the payout top heavy but a bunch of people who would have been middle of the pack don't bother showing up without the chance to cash.

That would be the initial outcome. If done gradually, there would be the possibility to see the better athletes come out to bridge the gap. One never knows for sure until they try, though.

I've been a member since 2001 and served 6 years as the IL State Coordinator. For such a small organization I think the PDGA is doing a great job. You see the handful of haters out there that flame the PDGA constantly.

As a whole a PDGA membership is cheap compared to other hobbies. I played paint ball for the first time last weekend and dropped as much as my membership in one day. I've compared disc golf to many hobbies and disc golf (PDGA membership/Tournaments) is almost always cheaper when you start comparing.

PDGA memberships and # of tournaments is at an all time high. That's going to continue. Some minor tweaks could be made but overall the system is growing.

I disagree. I think pdga loses 3 ppl for every one they pick up. Just my small microcasm of the world that seems to be the case. 2008 had allot more people playing imho.

That would be the initial outcome. If done gradually, there would be the possibility to see the better athletes come out to bridge the gap. One never knows for sure until they try, though.

If that's the initial outcome, there's never any reason for new people to come out, the field will just keep shrinking. If you want to see better athletes I think you'd be much better served focusing on building from the bottom up. Get high school and college programs started across the country and you'll have a much bigger talent pool to find the next generation of great players. Just throwing money at the current pros isn't going to do that. People who didn't know about disc golf won't suddenly take up the sport because someone they've never heard of won a few tens of thousands of dollars in a tournament they didn't watch.

If that's the initial outcome, there's never any reason for new people to come out, the field will just keep shrinking. If you want to see better athletes I think you'd be much better served focusing on building from the bottom up. Get high school and college programs started across the country and you'll have a much bigger talent pool to find the next generation of great players. Just throwing money at the current pros isn't going to do that. People who didn't know about disc golf won't suddenly take up the sport because someone they've never heard of won a few tens of thousands of dollars in a tournament they didn't watch.

As long as it wasn't a huge jump in the decrease in payout depth, the decrease likely wouldn't be that great. While I do think this would potentially grow the pro tour in the long run, the fastest (and likely most difficult) way to accomplish this would be by obtaining outside sponsors some how.

I disagree. I think pdga loses 3 ppl for every one they pick up. Just my small microcasm of the world that seems to be the case. 2008 had allot more people playing imho.

The demographics show that the PDGA had record number of members last year and record number of events.

This x 1000. When I tell people there is a pro disc golf tour, they look at me like I have two heads. Growing the pro tour is not going to make more people play. It has to start at the youth level. P.E. programs, youth rec leagues, high school and college programs...that is where the sport is going to grow. Honestly, I could see that happening via a whole other organization separate from the PDGA, too.

The demographics show that the PDGA had record number of members last year and record number of events.

Does that include people who didnt renew? Tourneys around here are struggling and not even coming close to filling. Our c and b tiers two years ago were always filled. This year not even 50% are filled.

Does that include people who didnt renew? Tourneys around here are struggling and not even coming close to filling. Our c and b tiers two years ago were always filled. This year not even 50% are filled.

One of the C-Tiers this year was an A-Tier two years ago (BGO).

you have my vote but i can't pay PDGA fee of 50 bucks. That is way too much!

to play a PDGA event it is 80 dollars for first one. 50+30 entry. for next one it is 110 for two events, 140 for three events. 170 for four events. i'm not 1000 rated and i need more plastic like i need a hole in my head!

One of the C-Tiers this year was an A-Tier two years ago (BGO).

That tourney has always filled but wasnt even a 1/4 filled. Hell most of the local open players havent even renewed. I have a hard time drinking the kool aid that there were record numbers.

you have my vote but i can't pay PDGA fee of 50 bucks. That is way too much!

50 bucks for a PDGA membership is reasonable. Many other sports organizations such as USA Ultimate, US Lacrosse, and USA Racquetball all cost 50 dollars to join.

That tourney has always filled but wasnt even a 1/4 filled. Hell most of the local open players havent even renewed. I have a hard time drinking the kool aid that there were record numbers.

How is it kool aid if that's what the actual numbers of registered players in sanctioned events show record numbers? Sorry to hear that your local event is struggling, perhaps a look at that event in particular is worth doing rather than a blanket condemnation of the system.

How is it kool aid if that's what the actual numbers of registered players in sanctioned events show record numbers? Sorry to hear that your local event is struggling, perhaps a look at that event in particular is worth doing rather than a blanket condemnation of the system.

I'm curious were are these numbers? They may have allot of new members but I want to see how many people are not renewing, and the attrition of the PDGA members.

I'm not condemning the entire system. I'm just sharing my small microscopic glimpse of my local region falling apart, and the fact that no one that I know is renewing?

Maybe you are right but I'm curious were do you get these numbers?

I'm curious were are these numbers? They may have allot of new members but I want to see how many people are not renewing, and the attrition of the PDGA members.

I'm not condemning the entire system. I'm just sharing my small microscopic glimpse of my local region falling apart, and the fact that no one that I know is renewing?

Maybe you are right but I'm curious were do you get these numbers?

From here:
http://www.pdga.com/pdga-documents/demographics-current/growth-charts
http://www.pdga.com/pdga-documents/demographics-ye/2012-pdga-year-end-demographics

I'll be paying the PDGA $10 this weekend, because I simply can't commit to the schedule to make $50 for the whole year worth it like I used to. It has nothing to do with how the PDGA operates things.

Some of Peter's suggestions are nice, but they're honestly not necessary. If some of the "build from the top down" hero worship suggestions others have suggested here were ever implemented, the PDGA would never see another nickel from me.

That looks like good growth to me. Maybe if they cut the renewal down to 35 or enticed some people, maybe get more of the remnant. Thanks Steve. Looks like everything is rosy to me?

That looks like good growth to me. Maybe if they cut the renewal down to 35 or enticed some people, maybe get more of the remnant. Thanks Steve. Looks like everything is rosy to me?

I don't think anyone is suggesting that everything is perfect with the PDGA, just that tweaks and adjustments might be called for rather than a complete restructuring.