• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How I Would Change the PDGA

I'm gonna actually chime in...

You started this re-election campaign and got momentum on dgcr 2 months ago. You're telling me that you got discouraged within 2 months to quit? If you wanted to lose, why start a campaign? You posted in this thread discussing pdga ideas and motions as late as 7/24. Did you really want to be elected, or did you just want to lose and be in a monday morning qb position saying "told ya so"?

You really did a disservice to the people that didn't get elected. The people who got less votes than you got the raw end of the deal and I would assume would have gladly accepted the challenges that the BOD position faces. Here in Charlotte, I was not well received originally and I was seen as a bulldog who wanted everything different. I got clobbered in an election, but I really wanted to be an officer of the club. It shows true colors to walk away when things get hard, meanwhile, so many other people are willing to put in the work.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to come off like a jerk, but I think they way you have handled yourself is in poor taste. Good luck in the future, but you will have to prove to people with your actions (not words) over time if you ever want to be considered again for an elected disc golf position.

I do understand how people were/are not in favor of the changes to the PDGA Constitution which allows the Board of Directors to appoint other BoD members, and which could set itself up for potential abuse some day.

To date, however, it is being used for its intended purpose. Not every new BoD comes with an accounting degree, and who wouldn't want a licensed CPA since June 1978 serving as the treasurer of the PDGA?!?

I've never even met Bob Decker, but it's becoming annoying how much harping there is over his appointment to the BoD. So what if he's not elected...the guy obviously knows a) accounting / being a treasurer, and b) a thing or two about disc golf. If he didn't, he wouldn't have been previously elected multiple times to the BoD, and then subsequently appointed to later terms!

Originally posted by ObiWan1138
I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

Do or do not. There is no try.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Well played.....by a fellow BoD candidate of Shive's nonetheless

What's the expression?

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

That's 1,433 hanging heads of shame today.

I think you got that a little bit wrong there. It goes like this:

Peter - thank you for coming forward on this forum to address this and discuss this. It certainly seems that it would have been much easier to just resign and disappear.

I've read your post and the board minutes several times and feel more upset with with every reading. Mostly i don't understand your timing and reasoning at all. You strive to be a voice for the little people of disc golf and yet in resigning right after being elected you have effectively squandered their vote and silenced the voice of those who elected you to the board. Providing a perspective the other board members may be ignoring or dismissing is of value whether your initiatives are passed in session or not. It seems far-fetched to believe that they will ask you to provide antithetical opinions once you are no longer on the board. I appreciate your service and wish you the best in other disc golf endeavors but i strongly disagree with the manner in which you carried out this decision.

Basically, you've wasted our time. Not everyone has the time to fight for the common good, so when someone comes along claiming to do so, they are supported. The support you received has now proven to be wasted. If I had known you were going to do this, I would have voted for someone else. the COI stuff, as well as some of your other talking points are actually important to me, but now I have no faith than anything will get done until someone else comes along. I thought you were that someone, and now you are proving to just be a whiny man with a negative agenda, just as your opponents have been accusing you of all along.

Please reverse your decision and take your elected role. It is the just thing to do.

This is ridiculous. And is more confirmation of my belief that the PDGA itself is ridiculous.

This is ridiculous. And is more confirmation of my belief that the PDGA itself is ridiculous.

I'm not sure how it's any fault of the PDGA that one of their elected board members chose to wait until after the election to announce he wasn't going to bother doing the job he was elected for.

To those who think I should have stayed on the Board and fought for you, consider this:

1) I busted my butt for you for two years. I accomplished absolutely nothing for you. In that sense I was a completely ineffective board member. I failed, utterly. The imbalance between the elites and the little people is only going to accelerate, and I know now that I wouldn't be able to affect that if I were on the Board ten years.

2) COI reform, in my opinion badly needed, was my test case. It was also a necessary condition for my staying. I thought it was a lock. I was certain I could get it done, but went down in flames. If I couldn't get that passed, I wouldn't ever be able to get anything passed.

3) Remaining on the Board would only handicap me, because I would not be able to speak as candidly to you as I would like, and I would not be able to explore opportunities for you outside the PDGA. Ironically, those who would be best served by my staying on the Board are those who disagree with my program.

4) There's a lot of difference between heresy and treason. I could be on the Board as a heretic (as I was), but not as a traitor (as I would have to be). So I need to be out of there, the Board needs me to be out of there, and you need me to be out of there.

While some have expressed the fact that they wanted you to remain, there are lots of others (including me) that are more upset you decided to go with the option that was easiest for you rather than the one that would result in a legitimate election for that board position (another cause you claimed was important to you).

I have nothing nice to day rather than I'm glad Shawn will be on the PDGA Board. He'll do a fantastic job!
I've met Shawn from back in the day when he and JohnE were the top Gateway pros. Dave West is actually a very good friend of mine. Either one would do a fine job. Shawn is probably more well know since he has been a top player, but Dave West is a very qualified person as well. It's too bad one of them were not elected in the first place.

I wasted my vote on someone that convinced me to vote for them. Then quit when they won.

Reason: I give up because I don't think I will succeed.

I'm really not that upset about who is taking his place. Just the principal of deception.

Last edited:
Peter, I can kinda sorta understand why you feel like you had to leave, but can you understand why people are upset that you basically mislead those of us who voted this year? It seems like you have constructed a labyrinthian thought process that justifies quitting and deflects the blame from yourself onto others. Honesty is important and while it seems like you are being honest now, it also appears like you intentionally mislead us before. Trust is a delicate thing and I'm wondering if I can trust anything that you say. I wish you luck and truly hope you have good intentions, but for now, I'm dubious at best.

Hey guys, I have this perfect piece of property you all should consider buying. It would make a great disc golf course. All i need is 2,000 people to send me $10 and bang.. this is a sure deal. Here's why: *insert list of everything all investors want to hear*.

2,000 people invested. Yay!

Oh by the way, I'm going to not pursue any of the original plans, turn over the project to somebody you may or may not have known about, and then go do something else because I realized right before i started collecting investors that i even though i put a lot of time in already, this thing is likely going nowhere and i sorta hoped it failed anyway. So i know you all understand this move because i personally feel this is better for me. It's certainly better for you too since the other guy is in control of your investment. But don't worry, I'm going to continue to make a difference in the sport in other ways, because you know me I am for the little guy.

Peter, I can kinda sorta understand why you feel like you had to leave, but can you understand why people are upset that you basically mislead those of us who voted this year? It seems like you have constructed a labyrinthian thought process that justifies quitting and deflects the blame from yourself onto others. Honesty is important and while it seems like you are being honest now, it also appears like you intentionally mislead us before. Trust is a delicate thing and I'm wondering if I can trust anything that you say. I wish you luck and truly hope you have good intentions, but for now, I'm dubious at best.

Good post. Of course I can understand why people are upset, and I don't mind taking my lumps for it. I've indulged in more than enough self-serving justification, and in the future will only answer reasonable direct questions like yours. It's no one else's fault. I miscalculated in two ways. I should have foreseen in April that the optimism I had then then was misplaced, and not run at all. After filing for reelection, I should have made sure that I had completed presenting my initiatives to the Board before the voting started. I regret the result.

I am concerned that you believe that I intentionally misled you "before". What motive could possibly explain my doing that deliberately? But certainly, if you do believe it, then I can easily understand and accept the loss of trust.