• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How I Would Change the PDGA

I've read your post and the board minutes several times and feel more upset with with every reading. Mostly i don't understand your timing and reasoning at all. You strive to be a voice for the little people of disc golf and yet in resigning right after being elected you have effectively squandered their vote and silenced the voice of those who elected you to the board. Providing a perspective the other board members may be ignoring or dismissing is of value whether your initiatives are passed in session or not. It seems far-fetched to believe that they will ask you to provide antithetical opinions once you are no longer on the board. I appreciate your service and wish you the best in other disc golf endeavors but i strongly disagree with the manner in which you carried out this decision.

I agree with this whole statement. And reminds me of something that happened in the past. I had hoped you had "matured" since then.
But I am curious what other dg related ventures you have going that would prompt you to slight those who voted for you.

your timing is abominable.

I concur.

Mr. Shive, while I agree with many, if not most, of your proposals and positions, particularly your stance on conflicts of interest, I have to say that both the timing of your announcement and your recommendation that Mr. Sinclair be appointed to fill your seat raise serious questions, at least in my mind, about your respect for integrity of the election process, and, by implication, your professed love for the PDGA.

If you had serious qualms about your possible effectiveness going forward, the time to stand down was before, or during, the election, not after it. While standing down during the election would have been awkward for both you and the PDGA, it would have allowed the election to be rebooted.

By allowing the election run its course and now refusing to abide by the result, you're giving a big middle finger to the "little people" who elected you to represent them, and by recommending that the Board appoint Mr. Sinclair to fill the seat you vacated--ironic, especially given your past vocal opposition to the Board filling vacated seats-- including your own by appointment--you reinforce the perception of the PDGA as an "old boys" network and, more seriously, casts Mr. Sinclair under the cloud of being one of the "old boys."

As others have said, I appreciate your past service, but I strongly disagree with the timing and the manner in which you made your decision.

Last edited:
My reaction to reading this last Shive post was to loose a lot of respect for the man. I decided to sleep on it as I was brought up to respect my elders and people in authority and did not want to pop off something that I would later regret. Having slept on it, I still feel that way....in fact it is rubbing me worse.

It will take a lot of convincing to explain how you Peter, having already served on the BoD and knowing the entire lay of the land, did not know all of this before the election (only a few weeks back). Why did you not have the honor then to withdraw your name then? Instead, we see you jobbing the system and completely making a mockery of the biggest vehicle that most "little people" have to express their will for how their organization will serve their perceived needs.

This is "Chicago Politics". This seems to me much more about Shive serving Shive than Shive serving the greater good of the PDGA and the Sport of disc golf. I like the words he has articulated in hist posts here a lot, but actions speak much louder than words. And actions gain or loose respect much faster than words do.

Last edited:
Did Shawn take 3rd place in the election? That's the only reason I can see for appointing him over anyone else :|

The PDGA by laws allow for this.

Not entirely. The by-laws allow for the BOD to elect a replacement. While logic says they will elect the next high vote-getter, in theory, they can elect whomever they choose. (At least that is how I read it.)

3.11 VACANCIES. Any vacancy occurring in the Board of Directors or in a directorship to be filled by reason of an increase in the number of Directors, may be filled by the Directors. A Director elected to fill a vacancy shall be elected for the unexpired term of his predecessor in office.
3.12 RESIGNATION AND REMOVAL. Any Director of the Corporation may resign at any time by giving written notice to the President or the Secretary of the Corporation. The resignation of any Director shall take effect upon receipt of notice thereof or at such later time as shall be specified in such notice; and, unless otherwise specified therein, the acceptance of such resignation shall not be necessary to make it effective. When one or more Directors shall resign from the Board, effective at a future date, a majority of the Directors then in office, including those who have so resigned, shall have power to fill such vacancy or vacancies, the results of the vote thereon to take effect when such resignation or resignations shall become effective. Any Board member may be removed, with or without cause, upon the unanimous affirmative vote of the entire Board of Directors. In addition, the Board shall cause a vote of the members to be held to recall any Director upon the written petition of not less than ten percent (10%) of the Active members calling for such vote. In the event of a vote of the members regarding the recall of a Director, the proposed change shall be approved upon the affirmative vote of not less than sixty-six percent (66%) of participating voting members.

Mr. Shive, this is really poor timing and a bonehead move. That's all I will say, because everything else has been said.

Not entirely. The by-laws allow for the BOD to elect a replacement. While logic says they will elect the next high vote-getter, in theory, they can elect whomever they choose. (At least that is how I read it.)

3.11 VACANCIES. Any vacancy occurring in the Board of Directors or in a directorship to be filled by reason of an increase in the number of Directors, may be filled by the Directors. A Director elected to fill a vacancy shall be elected for the unexpired term of his predecessor in office.
3.12 RESIGNATION AND REMOVAL. Any Director of the Corporation may resign at any time by giving written notice to the President or the Secretary of the Corporation. The resignation of any Director shall take effect upon receipt of notice thereof or at such later time as shall be specified in such notice; and, unless otherwise specified therein, the acceptance of such resignation shall not be necessary to make it effective. When one or more Directors shall resign from the Board, effective at a future date, a majority of the Directors then in office, including those who have so resigned, shall have power to fill such vacancy or vacancies, the results of the vote thereon to take effect when such resignation or resignations shall become effective. Any Board member may be removed, with or without cause, upon the unanimous affirmative vote of the entire Board of Directors. In addition, the Board shall cause a vote of the members to be held to recall any Director upon the written petition of not less than ten percent (10%) of the Active members calling for such vote. In the event of a vote of the members regarding the recall of a Director, the proposed change shall be approved upon the affirmative vote of not less than sixty-six percent (66%) of participating voting members.

Mr. Shive, this is really poor timing and a bonehead move. That's all I will say, because everything else has been said.

Correct - I was responding to criticism that the PDGA would appoint someone, which they are allowed to do.

Peter is simply recommending Shawn and due to him finishing 3rd, I feel that is the fairest nomination. However, they do have the power to choose anyone.

Yes, he finished third.

It's the most logical and fair choice.

That's assuming Mr. Sinclair would have been the third choice of the majority of those who voted for Mr. Shive, which may or may not have been the case.

Mr. Sinclair garnered 5 more votes than Mr. West (1131 vs. 1126, out of 3861 ballots cast). Regardless of the vote for Mr. Shive had been split among the other candidates, if six more of Mr. Shive's supporters had voted for Mr. West than for Mr. Sinclair, Mr. West would have won by one vote.

Unfortunately, there is no way of identifying the 1434 members who voted for Mr. Shive and finding out who they would have voted for instead. That's why the timing of Mr. Shive's abrupt resignation is unconscionable and amounts to flipping a bird at the very "little people" he claimed to represent.

Last edited:
Note: I'm not saying Mr. Sinclair (who I think would be an excellent choice) is not qualified, or that he should not be appointed to fill the vacancy; only that the argument for appointing him based primarily or exclusively on his having finished third is not as cut-and-dried as it appears on the surface.

On August 3 I informed Brian Graham and Rebecca Duffy (Board president) that, although elected, I would not take office when the new terms start September 1. I recommended that Shawn Sinclair be appointed to take my place.

The main reason for my action is that Board members have a duty of loyalty that I would not be able to fulfill. After my oh-fer of June and July, documented by several of you who posted snippets of meeting minutes on this thread, I have given up hope of ever being able to accomplish anything significant for the little people from service on the Board. Instead of working optimistically for positive goals, I would likely spend the next term working pessimistically (and unsuccessfully) to obstruct other Board members from enacting programs that they clearly believe in. That is an impossibly negative prospect. It is also dishonest because it is actively disloyal. I need to get out of their way and let them do their thing.

WORST TIMING EVER!!!

Peter, I voted for you because I thought we shared a common view of what the PDGA should (and shouldn't) be doing. I voted for you because I wanted MY(your) voice to be heard at BOD meetings. Even if you felt like you were tilting at windmills, you were doing it on MY behalf and for the other 1433 people that voted for you!

I think you wrongly assumed your view was solely pessimistic and that you would have nothing positive to contribute. Even if you were going to be in the minority in voting, your dissension would be part of the record.

Now I feel my vote was completely wasted and our point of view will NOT be heard at BOD meetings. At least ask the BOD to appoint someone that held similar views to yourself.

timing might be bad but i like how he told the board why and now he is going to try to do things the way he dreams it should be. i say well done. okay the timing is not perfect but one can not control everything all the time.

WORST TIMING EVER!!!

Peter, I voted for you because I thought we shared a common view of what the PDGA should (and shouldn't) be doing. I voted for you because I wanted MY(your) voice to be heard at BOD meetings. Even if you felt like you were tilting at windmills, you were doing it on MY behalf and for the other 1433 people that voted for you!

I think you wrongly assumed your view was solely pessimistic and that you would have nothing positive to contribute. Even if you were going to be in the minority in voting, your dissension would be part of the record.

Now I feel my vote was completely wasted and our point of view will NOT be heard at BOD meetings. At least ask the BOD to appoint someone that held similar views to yourself.

^^^ This! Count me as one of the 1433 voices that were just silenced.

The consensus here is shared by at least one Board member, who said, "I neither understand Peter's reasoning nor respect it. I believe any credibility he has established and his effectiveness to make change (post Board) will be greatly diminished. Congratulations Peter on becoming the first PDGA Board director to quit twice. You've set the bar for the Hall of Shame in the service sector . . . ."

I made my decision shortly after the second Conflict of Interest debacle in July and could have resigned then. Why didn't I? Because I expected (and hoped) to lose the election, and could thus have avoided the resignation flap altogether. It was worth the gamble. The fallout would have been just as bad if I had resigned in mid-July because you can't reboot an election after people have started voting.

Either way we would have been faced with the ambiguity between appointing Shawn Sinclair or Dave West. I recommended Shawn because he finished third, and I believed that the Board only wanted to consider my position at this time. There are other unfilled positions, and the Board could also appoint Dave in the future. I hope they do.

I don't have any problem with appointments of people who do well in elections, as Shawn and Dave did. My problem is with appointments of nonelected positions. I opposed the reappointment of Bob Decker before the election for that reason. Do you realize that if I had not resigned the Board would have precisely recreated itself by reappointment (Decker) and election (McCoy and myself)? I feel that the Board needs new blood. To put it another way, if only one of us could serve, better Shawn than I. That was in fact a minor factor in my decision.

I made my decision shortly after the second Conflict of Interest debacle in July and could have resigned then. Why didn't I? Because I expected (and hoped) to lose the election, and could thus have avoided the resignation flap altogether. It was worth the gamble. The fallout would have been just as bad if I had resigned in mid-July because you can't reboot an election after people have started voting.

I want to buy this....but I don't because what you are essentially saying is that one event (debacle) made you change your mind. I am speculating that you are probably thinking/meaning that this debacle was "the straw that broke the camel's back"....since there have been previous debacles (per your post).

If this is the case, then you knew the lay of the land well before throwing your name in the ring and had to be strongly inclined already to have this attitude of how you couldn't rightfully serve on the BoD. So, you should have withdrawn your name earlier (or not even run).

If this was not the case (straw that broke....), then you should be rising above one debacle for the greater good of those who elected you. You signed up for that possibility when you decided to run.

My opinion only.

The consensus here is shared by at least one Board member, who said, "I neither understand Peter's reasoning nor respect it. I believe any credibility he has established and his effectiveness to make change (post Board) will be greatly diminished. Congratulations Peter on becoming the first PDGA Board director to quit twice. You've set the bar for the Hall of Shame in the service sector . . . ."

Either way we would have been faced with the ambiguity between appointing Shawn Sinclair or Dave West. I recommended Shawn because he finished third, and I believed that the Board only wanted to consider my position at this time. There are other unfilled positions, and the Board could also appoint Dave in the future. I hope they do.

I don't have any problem with appointments of people who do well in elections, as Shawn and Dave did. My problem is with appointments of nonelected positions. I opposed the reappointment of Bob Decker before the election for that reason. Do you realize that if I had not resigned the Board would have precisely recreated itself by reappointment (Decker) and election (McCoy and myself)? I feel that the Board needs new blood. To put it another way, if only one of us could serve, better Shawn than I. That was in fact a minor factor in my decision.

you need to stop posting about this. you are just losing more and more respect. you've got great ideas and foresight, but you lack responsibility and stamina.

on the bolded section
an honorable man would have still resigned not gambled. even if you resigned mid election, some of those 1400 people had not voted yet im sure. they could have voted for someone else. the pDGA could've sent out an email that you were no longer electable. and possibly (idk how the system works) allowed for those who did vote for you already to recast a single vote for one of the other candidates.
And who cares if the BoD had re-made itself again. it was voted that way. people wanted your voice there, especially your standard position of dissent against the wrong ideas. people wanted McCoy there again cause he has forward thinking ideas.

open, honest communication without an agenda is a wonderful thing when it comes from people who want to be leaders

unfortunately, it's about as rare as unicorn farts