• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How long did you play before you were a "good" putter

When I got a practice basket and started working at it. Had it for a few months now and I'm starting to see some results. Repetition will make you a better putter. I say you'll be a solid putter when you make the conscious decision to be a better putter and put in the work.

Getting a practice basket alone won't do it.

Translating good practice to actual rounds has been particularly challenging for me lately.

I've been playing ten years, I'll let you know when I get there...

YEap thats the way I feel about it. If I am making putts from 20 foot and in I am usually even or a couple down at my home course , if not I could end up 7 to 10 up.

After watching and emulating Feldburg and Climo putting for years, I would say 20' in I got good 2 years ago. Before that I was just a streaky spin putter than could nail one at 50' then miss one at 15'. Now I make them all 20' in and occasionally make that 50' putt.

Interesting question...and, I'll be honest. From day one I felt I could be good at putting. Within the 1st year I bought a practice basket 2 months before my first tourney. I definitely donate the time into developing my putt and the practice basket helped. Repetition is the key...practice, practice, practice!! I play a lot - sold the practice basket a long time ago. I did say honest...in the circle I'm 90 plus percent - I always feel it should be 100%. I didn't get nicknamed Automatic Al for nothing!! How does that saying go...Drive for show...

I have been playing for 4 solid years. 4-6 days a week, many hours with my basket and field practice at least once a week ( 100+ drives on a football field). It wasnt till just about a month ago when I reached what I call a good putter. Now I give putting lessons.

Been playing over 22 years and I'm still not a good putter. I practice a lot, too. Guess I just don't have the "touch."

Yep putting was always easy for me, It took me 4 years to throw a disc 300+ in a straight line...:\

When I was in my twenties, I used to hyzer-flip a RHFH straight ahead for '250 or '275 using a Barracuda that had hit about three trees. It was good until it hit its 10th tree or so. When X-Clones, Banshees, etc. came out, I increased that to maybe '300. Then my elbow started feeling tingly, so I started converting to a RHBH player like everyone else.

It took me probably a decade to throw a RHBH shot 300' in a straight line. It didn't feel natural like forehanding did. I'm a better player now; I wish I would've learned the RHBH "snap!" in the beginning.

Putting? I've always been 50/50 from 30-40'. Every round I seem to can a gigantic putt and also miss an easy one from 20', so they cancel each other.

I changed my putting style recently and was struggling. I just had a local pro help me yesterday after a round where I missed about 13 in the circle putts Haha. He showed me exactly what I was doing wrong and it helped tremendously. I was nailing about 80% inside the circle. That was up from about 40% lol.

I feel it took about 6-9 months before I was a "good" not great putter. However, I played almost everyday and practiced putting before and after every round. Even if I played mutliple courses that day. I also worked my short game over my distance when I started playing. I never really had a lot of distance, so made sure my short game was decent so I could keep up with friends and randoms on the course. When I considered everything in the circle a gimmie, that's when I'd say I was a good putter. Walking up to a slightly off approach thinking "I got this" always makes a huge difference.

Haven't played a lot over the last 9 months so I would no longer consider myself a good anything anymore, but the muscle memory and confidence helps. I'm nowhere near where I was, but after a few holes, I see all the hours of practice start to kick back in if my heads in it.

6 months. but then I changed putting styles to be more consistent so after a year and half I felt like I really had it down. Now I am getting a feel for 40ft +

Mark Ellis Confidence Putting program- I just completed this about two weeks ago and went from barely able to make 20ftr's to now about 80% most times at 20 ft and rarely miss anything under that and probably 50-60% up to 25 ft. It has actually given me a new prospective of disc golf and is making the game that much more fun. Before I was taking bogey's because I would miss a 15ft putt and know I am taking pars or birdies. Times when I have really bad drives and it takes me 4 to get to 20 ft I would take double bogey's now I take bogeys. Once I learn how to throw lines consistently I may actually be half way decent!!:wall::doh:

I've been playing for 3.5 years, and I recently started the Mark Ellis putting program. I'm on session 17 of 30 and I've noticed a big improvement.

How long do you guys spend on a specific technique before you pass on it for something else? Do you guys try to find more consistent techniques or do you just want to be more consistent with whichever one you picked?

I feel like there is a technique that by its nature is going to be more consistent (better release, easier to impart spin on the disc without taking it off the line, less movement that impacts left or right misses, etc), but at the same time, am not sure how long to practice one before I throw out the idea. For example, practicing bullet style spin putting for 3 months might be a dumb idea if it won't ever be as consistent as a straddle pitch putt style.

I wonder if some of the top pros would switch styles to a more consistent one if it wouldn't interrupt their current game?

How long do you guys spend on a specific technique before you pass on it for something else? Do you guys try to find more consistent techniques or do you just want to be more consistent with whichever one you picked?

I feel like there is a technique that by its nature is going to be more consistent (better release, easier to impart spin on the disc without taking it off the line, less movement that impacts left or right misses, etc), but at the same time, am not sure how long to practice one before I throw out the idea. For example, practicing bullet style spin putting for 3 months might be a dumb idea if it won't ever be as consistent as a straddle pitch putt style.

I wonder if some of the top pros would switch styles to a more consistent one if it wouldn't interrupt their current game?

For me it was more about doing what came naturally to me and then tweaking it as I developed. This started as nose-down loft putt.

I had trouble at long range though so I started focusing on bringing the nose up a little and adding a little more snap to my wrist to get it spinning better.

Now I'm working on my legs. I found that I was putting with my legs straight. I'm working now on getting into more of an athletic position and using my legs more in the motion.

So now my putts look nothing like they did three years ago, but it's not because I just gave up on one style and tried another.

Latest posts