• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

how long does it take you to play a round

How long would it take if there is a set of beginners to play 9 holes.

How many is a set? How tough is the nine holer? Don't forget to include time to pull out a lawn chair and relive the round over a couple cold beverages. Drive time to the course.

I say two hours.

I wonder how many rounds have been played in 13yrs? :D

9 holes, beginners, depends on the length and difficulty of the course.. This will be compunded automatically by the number of players..

Hmmm take the 2 min x # par for the hole, multiply it at (#players)

120 seconds X par (so say 18) = so 36min X #players
X (2 if they don't throw over 200' or average hole length exceeds 350'
X (2 if they talk a lot or get lost often or consume mad amounts of alcoholic beverages)

Last edited:
More info! The question is like asking how long to take a hike?

If you have a course in mind, and # of players, we can try to provide some clarity.
Factors involved:
# players and skill level (some 'beginners' are probably better than me or at least can throw farther)
distance of holes
distance between holes
how busy is course when you play
open field or thick gnarly woods with narrow fairways (looking for discs a lot)
elevation changes?

Damn I botched my math haha, I knew it didn't look quite right..

2min X 27par = 54min per player. :D

How much time are we alloting to searching for discs? On some courses, this seems almost inevitable.

Not your typical niner ... but you never know.

Park course, average 300 or so feet per hole, an hour doesn't seem too bad, but if you have any pause at all, 1.5 hrs is probably in line.

So 1 to 1.5 hours for a solo 18.

If I were young and impatient, I suppose I could have done 18 in much less time. If you allow 30 seconds (total) per throw, 18 holes, 3 throws per hole, you get 27 minutes. That sounds miserable, but something I would have done as a teen.

1-2hrs with significant "it depends"

on my local 9 hole playing solo, 20 minutes. on an unfamiliar course, probably double that.

My course is 21 holes. I'm out there for 3 hours on my own. I also run multiple lines like a crazy person! My course is not very busy most of the time to allow for this kind of nonsense.

When I last visited the Airborne Preserve I was running about 1.5 hours per 18. But basically no funny business, there's 3 course to play!

UDisc has added some metrics to their Course Directory including Avg Time, Avg Steps, Avg Floors Ascended/Descended for each layout plus some Course Traffic information on Avg Time spent and busy times.
https://udisc.com/courses
These averages may be skewed by bigger & slower groups (age/skill level/extracurriculars).

My rough calculation for a course would primarily be
average players walking mile pace * (1mi to 4mi based on course length/difficulty) + # of players * par / (2 or 3 depending on course length/difficulty/player skill level)

I'd say something like 60% of the time is spent walking. Usually around 1 hour but rarely over 2 for solo rounds (throwing/putting multiple from most lies). Each additional person is 20-30min.

Too many factors involved to come up with a 'how long should it take' answer. Some have already been mentioned, but:

How full is the course? And how many beginners are on the course?
What type of course is it? Open 'ball golf' type of course, or wooded course? Are there water carries?
How deep is the grass/weeds? (I just played a course that I enjoy playing, but this time it took really long...the grass/weeds had grown really high - the park has to maintain it and hasn't gotten around to it....so a lot of time was spent looking for discs).
Is the course flat or hilly?
Short course or long course?

I could go on, but those are some of the factors that need to be taken into consideration.

It really depends on which course I play. The course i play the most takes me about 45 minutes to play.

North Boundary is my home/regular course.

Whites takes about 1:35, Blues about 1:45, Golds about 1:55, assuming a clear course. Chasing a sunset, I've knocked 10 minutes off of each of those. Any faster would probably involve running. I play pretty quickly, in general.

I can hop down to Knob Hill and get around in under an hour. Same with Moraine.

When planning my disc golf days, I usually figure 5 minutes per hole. So 45 min for a 9 hole and 1.5hr for an 18 hole course. Most of the time I can finish ahead of schedule. However if the course is long is rough, it can take me longer.

90% of my time is on courses I've never played (bagger), so I budget 1:30 - 2:00 for an 18. The length of the course is an obvious clue, but it's hard to know for sure, given the impact of elevation change and the amount of walking between holes. When I'm planning a run that includes 9 hole school courses, I budget 30 minutes or less per stop.

I've seen groups of newbies crush a course in like 20 minutes. Ready golf basically, no regard for honors or who's farthest out, or contemplating the shot, just get to the disc and immediately throw and keep walking, they might take 10 shots per hole, but still play it faster than I do..

Then there's the newb groups that take like 10 hours, all over the place, more interested in socializing and drinking beer, losing discs and searching, and climbing trees, and swimming in the pond, etc...

Even with their "ready golf" type play, this group of newbies definitely wasn't setting any course records for fastest round played.

e8357b4862180fd8b06dcf35636a1fe4.jpg

Yes, this was one card. Doing their thing and having fun with no regards to the fact that they were totally holding up play for everyone else on the entire course.