• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many discs do I need!?!

If you're comfortable with the six you have I'd stick with them and get to know them really well. Try all the different shots (FH, BH, overhead, rollers) with each disc and get to know their capabilities and limitations. Play with some better players so you can see which throws they use and possibly incorporate them into your game. Get a backup disc for whichever ones you find invaluable. Hopefully your si include drivers, some mids and a putter, if not fill those holes.

Once you know them front to back, determine what shots you'd like to add to your asenal, then use Joe's Flight Chart and advice from other players you trust about what discs to consider adding to reach your goals.

The first disc you might want to get multiples of would be your putter. Onc you've found one that feels right get 3 or 4 to practice with. Try to pause between each practice putt and set up just like you would for a putt to win a match.

Thanks for the advise. I'm a RHBH and use the Sidewinder as my driver. I'm getting about 300 feet and have no idea if that's good for a beginner or If I should go to a faster driver.

How are you measuring that distance? Is it going 300ft in the direction you want it to go?

There are a few holes that are 290, 305 ft. where I usually play and I can get it close to the cage. As for acuracy...that is a hit or miss. maybe half the time it goes straight or ends up straight. I definitely need to be more accurate with my driver. I like the idea of practicing with a mid-range disc to get my accuracy down, but doubt I'll ever get 300 ft. with it.

There are a few holes that are 290, 305 ft. where I usually play and I can get it close to the cage. As for acuracy...that is a hit or miss. maybe half the time it goes straight or ends up straight. I definitely need to be more accurate with my driver. I like the idea of practicing with a mid-range disc to get my accuracy down, but doubt I'll ever get 300 ft. with it.

Spend some time throwing in an open field to really get to know your discs well. I am heading to a field in a few minutes, before I play to work on my driving, before I head to the course today

I started off with just a Valk a rock and an avair and didnt get any more discs for the first few months. I have a good range of discs that I use now but I am glad I didnt go disc crazy early on because it would just have been to confusing and frustrating early on.

I like the idea of practicing with a mid-range disc to get my accuracy down, but doubt I'll ever get 300 ft. with it.

it does help to improve throwing accuracy, but the disc itself is more accurate. it changes directions slower and falls slower, hits the ground with less speed and skips less. unless there is a specific reason to throw a faster disc, you generally want to throw the slowest disc possible to reach a target. good, accurate D with putters/mids makes the game much more enjoyable.

300' with a mid-range is definitely possible for you. ya gotta believe!

2 mids and a putter man. That's pretty much what I have, other than the specialty discs for OH throws. I do have a fairway driver right now, but I barely use it. Focus on putting, it's really an under rated aspect of the game.

Think this way: if you could drive 250 feet accurately every time, and make every putt within 20 feet, think how you would score on your home course... Accuracy is much more valuable than a lot of D, and I'm a very firm believer in that.

I started off throwing my putter about 150' feet. Now I can toss them around 320' on a good day. With practice, you'll only get better and better. Like GLong said Glenn, you have only to believe if you wish to achieve.

That rhymed, unintentional.

I started off throwing my putter about 150' feet. Now I can toss them around 320' on a good day. With practice, you'll only get better and better. Like GLong said Glenn, you have only to believe if you wish to achieve.

Bloody Hell! I really gotta dig into form forums and quit reading political wank! Out field practicing couple days ago and flip my Voodoo and Skeeter into the ground about 20 yds out, drivers only going 85 to 95 yds. Know trick is learnable, gotta work on it. :)

Bloody Hell! I really gotta dig into form forums and quit reading political wank! Out field practicing couple days ago and flip my Voodoo and Skeeter into the ground about 20 yds out, drivers only going 85 to 95 yds. Know trick is learnable, gotta work on it. :)

putter distance is all about the release (angle and spin). you dont have to throw it hard or fast. but it will require a little height at first and slowly bring it down as you improve.
also if your flipping them then try throwing a spike hyzer instead.

Putters just take practice. I can throw my putters about 220ft. I didn't think I could do it, but with practice, I was able to.

Good news, read up a bit and was throwing both Voodoo and Skeeter just shy of 150' uphill nice and straight and landing flat. Nice to be able to pick up a couple of pointers and have immediate improvement. :) Now to practice lots.

I agree with most of the advice of mids and putter...but I did get about 6 of each when I started (putts,mids and drivers). Then I went out each time and focused on one of the three. It's like a workout: Once you get your form and technique down then Mon= Putting and driving w/ putters. Wed= Mids, play the course w/ only a mid. Fri= Drivers, goto a field and bring a $10 baby pool w/ you. Try and throw your drivers in the pool at 200'!!! Keep it fresh! Have fun but, continue to improve!

Yeah, let's get him to stay in the game by ridiculing him as a beginner. I can't throw 300' consistently either. Not all of us are Avery Jenkins, man. =/

I have been playing for 4 years, but after an accident, I can throw 300ft on a good day, but not all the time

Latest posts