• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many discs?

as far as different molds go, I carry about 10 molds. I do carry backups or different plastics in a few of those molds. Id guess that I have about 15 discs in my bag.

Throw what you like and like what you throw.

I feel like that is wayyyyy too many. Any ideas?

If you're trying to weed some out, try playing one disc rounds. You'll be surprised how versatile some discs can be. I used to carry twenty discs too. Now I get by nicely with eight. My driving putter and my two mids are my most used distance discs. (And I could drop my slower mid. But a premium plastic woods disc is a big plus for me.)

After reading all these suggestions, I have weeded out a few discs from my bag that I deem are too like other discs are unnecessary. I now have 3 putters, 2 midranges, 2 fairway, and 8 drivers for a total of 15 discs.

I carry more discs, 20+, but I throw different discs backhand than I do forehand, so it's like I'm carrying 2 separate bags. But the breakdown is 3 forehand distance drivers 3 backhand distance drivers, 3 forehand fairways 4 backhand fairways 5 mids 3 putters.

4 putters- Putting: Rhyno, Upshot/driving: US: Magic, S/OS: Rhyno, OS: Zone
3 mids- US:Tursas, S: Buzz, OS: Drone
2 fairways- US: SFD, S/OS: CFD
2 utilities- FAF FB, Nuke OS
6 drivers- US: Valk, Crank, NukeSS, S/OS: Domey FB, Nuke

17 total

Here's my theory about covering your bases.

Take a piece of paper and draw out the flight pattern of discs that you can reliably get up to speed. Then, make sure you have under stable (US), stable (S), and over stable (OS) discs that will leave you no holes on your paper larger than 20' around. Your putters (2-3) should automatically cover the first 250' so all that you have left is between 250 and your max distance. I leave a 2 putter option because your next longest US disc can be underpowered more reliably than faster discs and you can't get much of an S curve without speed and distance anyway.

Assuming you throw in the 400' and under range for max distance, this formula will most likely leave you with 2-3 putters, 2-3 slower mids, 2-3 longer mids, 3-4 fairways, and 4-5 long distance drivers (speed 11 max).

You don't want to be under or over powering more than you have to and the best way to ace or sink a long approach shot is to come in slow and easy as the disc is half way or better into it's low speed fade.

Here's my theory about covering your bases.

Take a piece of paper and draw out the flight pattern of discs that you can reliably get up to speed. Then, make sure you have under stable (US), stable (S), and over stable (OS) discs that will leave you no holes on your paper larger than 20' around. Your putters (2-3) should automatically cover the first 250' so all that you have left is between 250 and your max distance. I leave a 2 putter option because your next longest US disc can be underpowered more reliably than faster discs and you can't get much of an S curve without speed and distance anyway.

Assuming you throw in the 400' and under range for max distance, this formula will most likely leave you with 2-3 putters, 2-3 slower mids, 2-3 longer mids, 3-4 fairways, and 4-5 long distance drivers (speed 11 max).

You don't want to be under or over powering more than you have to and the best way to ace or sink a long approach shot is to come in slow and easy as the disc is half way or better into it's low speed fade.
This sounds like the best advice I have received on here :D

Thanks.

My disc count has in mind an efficient back hand and forehand. Personally, I don't overhand because it's not a pretty line to me so adding in overhands, your disc count may drop by 1-2 discs.

I have two bags. One overlaps same molds in the varying stabilites and the other doesn't have a single mold overlap. Personally, I'm not seeing the advantage of overlapping molds even though most people tout their benefits.

One thing that I always do for fun if I'm going to a course that I know well is pack a specific disc or two on top of my regular line up which will attack a given hole well which none of my other discs seem to do without severely tweaking their intended flight path... usually due to the approach path - sort of a magic bullet disc. Not that it works every time, it's just fun.

I could get by with 9 for a competitive round. that would be 2 drivers, 2 fairways, 2 mids and 2 putters that would be an overstable and a stable to understable for each category except putters. Id have my putting putter and my driving putter. and 1 utility get out of trouble disc

I actually carry 18 (2 putting wizards, 2 driving wizards, 1 suspect, 1 comet, 2 buzzes, 2 patriots, 2 rivals, 2 XXX, 2 roadrunners, and 2 PDs) same concept as the 9 but with a back up fro everything

I carry 18

4 putters/approach
5 mids
5 fairway
4 distance

In fact, I recently was bored and did a thingymabob and posted my bag for "critique". http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100308

There's some days I limit myself to carrying 5 or 6 total discs. These are typically days I'm by myself and I'm working on specific aspects of my game. But the 18 is my limit - I typically don't let myself carry anymore unless I'm trying something new to replace something in my bag.

I carry 18

There's some days I limit myself to carrying 5 or 6 total discs

I completely understand and do the some thing at time. It really just depends upon the course as well as how well you know your disc and how confident you are in them on different shots.

I completely understand and do the some thing at time. It really just depends upon the course as well as how well you know your disc and how confident you are in them on different shots.

It could be the toughest course in the world and I'd love being out there with a putter, comet, buzzz, firebird, surge. Or putter, zone, buzzz, river, destroyer. It really helps to trust discs more for varied shots and conditions.

The number of discs you should carry depends on two things IMO. How well you know your discs & your bag building philosophy. What I mean by bag building philosophy is if you prefer to have only a few discs that you throw on many different angles or if you prefer to have many discs but prefer to "let the discs do the work". I've noticed many newer players tend to prefer the latter because they either get addicted to buying plastic &/or don't have the skill set to throw discs on different lines/release angles. IMO its better for newer players to only have a few discs & learn how those discs fly at different release angles. Once that person learns how to shape lines & how discs of varying levels of stability fly on various release angles, they can then choose which bag philosophy to use. If you don't play a lot & don't know how your discs fly in different conditions (various distances, wind, rain, snow, elevation changes etc.) then it would be more beneficial to have only a few discs. Though once you know your discs I see nothing wrong with adding more discs as long as you know the other discs in your bag well. It may even be beneficial to add more discs so you can hit different lines you previously couldn't. IMO if you carry many discs & let them do the work you should still know how to throw at different release angles because there's lines you cant hit by throwing a disc flat. If you carry a lot of discs just make sure you know all of them well. I'm not saying one way is better than another, everybody knows the saying different strokes for different folks. Its also worth mentioning that if you utilize multiple throwing techniques you will most likely have a couple more discs than somebody who only uses one.

Blake T discusses this topic in an article on DGR
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/discoverlap.shtml

Depends on who I am playing with, what course. The lease I have carried 3, most "fun" rounds i carry 2 putters, 2 mids and 3 fairways. League play and such i carry 3 putters, 2 mids 3 fairways and I want to say 6ish drivers.

I can't step on a course if my bag isn't filled... you never know when you're going to need what.

I carry 20
4-Putters (2 Aviar) (2 Pure)
6-Mids (Proto verdict my favorite by far)
4- Fairways (TB & E)
6- Drivers

I feel like I have a perfect balance right now, although I need a disc for hyzer bombs... All I have is the NukeOS... way too beefy

2 putters
4 mids
5 fairway
4 distance

Once I got my molds narrowed down I carry multiple of the main driver in different conditions. I havent changed my bag for 2 years but just started to switch my fairway drivers so it'll fill up for a little bit, maybe a few months.

If you don't play a lot & don't know how your discs fly in different conditions (various distances, wind, rain, snow, elevation changes etc.) then it would be more beneficial to have only a few discs. Though once you know your discs I see nothing wrong with adding more discs as long as you know the other discs in your bag well.

Wholeheartedly agree with this.

A disc is like an intimate female aquiantance, you don't want to forget any of their names and you certianly don't want to mix them up.

:D

Today, I had 21, 4 drivers, 3 Putter and 14 mid range. I like using mids for most drives, I break out drivers for very few shots. I use all the putters on every round, 3 of 4 drivers come out almost every round, most times only once. The extra baggage is in the mid range area. I admit, I like plastic to much to leave it in the car or at home.