• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many people have actually pursued the right pec drills?

What amount of effort did you put into the right pec drills?

• Total voters

Triflusal

* Ace Member *
Amidst all this malarkey about discing down and whatnot, I got to thinking about something else that has had a similar debate: the right pec drills. How many people have actually done them for an extended period of time, or even at all?

It seems like people on here like to talk a big talk about what does and does not work (be it agreeing with discing down, the right pec drill etc. or disagreeing). But I want to know how many people have actively pursued getting better at this game. That means field practice, and that means trying every single drill you've read about on the internet, even if they don't work, or you don't think they work.

I would say pursuing the right pec drill would mean having practiced it in a field for over say, 10-15 hours total in a period no longer than a month, maybe less. That's not a lot of time.

I guess what I want to know is how much time people have put into stuff like discing down and the right pec drill before they either gave up or started seeing results. I know their was a period of time before and during last summer where I completely changed my throw, and disced down for about a month, maybe two months. The first 2 weeks of practicing pretty much everyday where hell. Nothing worked, nothing went far. I was only doing the right pec drill, and I saw no results whatsoever. But I kept at it, and it eventually paid off. This game is not easy

As a lefty, I feel discriminated against. :thmbup:

I did a little time with the left pec drill...more time with hammer and towel drills and footwork. I spend more time in concentrated field practice than I do on courses, which is ok with me since they're both very enjoyable.

To better answer the question, I spent the better part of the last year focused on mids and working on form. I saw quick results in a few weeks but improved much more over several months.

I selected the at least 10-15 hours in less than a month option, but that is not true.

I have done right pec drills from time to time during my regular field work days. I don't think I've hit 10 hours of the drills in a month, but I never gave up on them either. It took a while to feel the wrist extension with the right pec drills, but they did help me with timing.

I don't know if this counts at all but I attempted the right pec drill Wednesday afternoon for the first time. I'm not sure I have the patience for it. I think it could help. I want to try it again. I just haven't had the time, the weather hasn't cooperated, and playoff hockey started.

With that being said. I started as Beato talks about in the video. no steps, point elbow at the target, push off with your back foot to get your weight going around and start driving your arm, when the arm starts going "punch the midget". I think I threw 10-15 drives this way with putters and mids, then added 1 step and 2 steps.

When I got to the X-step portion my muscle memory was confused. I guess I was so used to the x-step with reach back so keeping my elbow pointed felt kind of weird.

BUT...The 1-step, and 2-step really seemed to help me feel the weight shift, and the push off back foot to get your weight forward thing really helped me keep nose down and stuff.

I'm game, I'll try to stick with it.

I do have one question for anyone that's completed it. What about rounds inbetween? Do I play the way I've played previously, do I drive pec drill style, No X step? What did you do?

I don't know if this counts at all but I attempted the right pec drill Wednesday afternoon for the first time. I'm not sure I have the patience for it. I think it could help. I want to try it again. I just haven't had the time, the weather hasn't cooperated, and playoff hockey started.

With that being said. I started as Beato talks about in the video. no steps, point elbow at the target, push off with your back foot to get your weight going around and start driving your arm, when the arm starts going "punch the midget". I think I threw 10-15 drives this way with putters and mids, then added 1 step and 2 steps.

When I got to the X-step portion my muscle memory was confused. I guess I was so used to the x-step with reach back so keeping my elbow pointed felt kind of weird.

BUT...The 1-step, and 2-step really seemed to help me feel the weight shift, and the push off back foot to get your weight forward thing really helped me keep nose down and stuff.

I'm game, I'll try to stick with it.

I do have one question for anyone that's completed it. What about rounds inbetween? Do I play the way I've played previously, do I drive pec drill style, No X step? What did you do?

The right pec drills really ARE annoying when you first start them (just like practicing putting for the very first time) They seem pointless and you feel like you're just shanking drives. It takes a while to get the right feel and majority of people give up long before seeing any results. I think you do need to perform the drill if you are to get anywhere with big snap, but you have to do it in combination of other field exercises. It really takes a lot of dedication. I almost gave up 3 or 4 times thinking "maybe 380 is far enough" but managed to keep pushing myself. In the end it paid off. It only took 2 or 3 years :)

The right pec drills really ARE annoying when you first start them (just like practicing putting for the very first time) They seem pointless and you feel like you're just shanking drives. It takes a while to get the right feel and majority of people give up long before seeing any results. I think you do need to perform the drill if you are to get anywhere with big snap, but you have to do it in combination of other field exercises. It really takes a lot of dedication. I almost gave up 3 or 4 times thinking "maybe 380 is far enough" but managed to keep pushing myself. In the end it paid off. It only took 2 or 3 years :)

I appreciate the response. I didn't really find it to be annoying so much. More like I wasn't quite sure how I was supposed to work in a reach back once I've become comfortable with the right pec portion.

Also, was I doing it wrong? With 10-15 no step, 10-15 1 step, 10-15 2 step All in the same session? Or should you be doing no step until you figure out the snap/hit portion and then add a step, figure it all out again, add 2 steps, and so on?

I think it's best to work on just a right pec drill until you are feeling the discs ejecting from your hand instead of slipping out. Until you get that, it makes no sense to do any reach back or steps. The downside to this is:

1. You get tired fast. It's just not something you'll do for more than a half hour unless you want to throw your arm out.
2. Without someone helping you out, you're basically going to be lost because you're not sure what to look for or if your form even looks proper while doing it. It will take a lot of trial and error.

I think with someone helping you out you can see results faster. I was also going solo in this learning experience which is probably why it took me so long to get it.

I briefly tried and gave up. I felt like I was just guessing at what to do, and didn't want to try and 'figure out' the basic principles on my own.

I think it's best to work on just a right pec drill until you are feeling the discs ejecting from your hand instead of slipping out. Until you get that, it makes no sense to do any reach back or steps. The downside to this is:

1. You get tired fast. It's just not something you'll do for more than a half hour unless you want to throw your arm out.
2. Without someone helping you out, you're basically going to be lost because you're not sure what to look for or if your form even looks proper while doing it. It will take a lot of trial and error.

I think with someone helping you out you can see results faster. I was also going solo in this learning experience which is probably why it took me so long to get it.

by ejecting do you mean ripping from the grip of your hand or something different?

I've never felt the need for any type of drills. My throwing technique just kinda came to me naturally. I have always been able to throw a long way.

by ejecting do you mean ripping from the grip of your hand or something different?

You feel like you're actually accelerating/pushing the disc out with your hand. It's not just a whipping motion of the wrist. You really feel the weight of the disc and it almost feels as if you're pushing it out with your palm at first. Kind of hard to describe.

500 puts everyday after work and about 5 hours of field drills at varied distances a week.

For the benefit of those who are at work and can't watch videos, would someone either briefly describe what the right pec drill is or link to a thread that does so I can catch up? Thanks!

The right pec drill is sometimes also called working from the hit back. You start out by practicing the throw from the point where the disc passes your right pec. No reachback, no steps. The theory is that the last part of the throw is the most important, so get that right and then add reachback, x-step, etc.

I did them for about two weeks, and I was throwing with more power, but was releasing everything right every so slightly which led to massive failures.

The right pec drill is sometimes also called working from the hit back. You start out by practicing the throw from the point where the disc passes your right pec. No reachback, no steps. The theory is that the last part of the throw is the most important, so get that right and then add reachback, x-step, etc.
I'll also add that the "right pec" part that Dan talks about in the video is a primitive version of the "hammer pound" drill. The idea was to throw that way until you "got it" and then build the rest of your throw. The "hammer pound" drills do a much better job of teaching you how to do the right pec drill correctly. Put another way, if you do the hammer pound drills correctly, the right pec drill will be much easier.

I had done the whole "Dan Beto Video" method (actually developed by Blake T.) right after he made that video. I didn't "get" the right pec part, but the rest of it helped me fix a lot of weight shift and footwork problems I didn't know I had. When the hammer pound drill came I did them for <5 minutes and saw instant results. The number of times I "half hit" easily jumped by an order of magnitude and my normal distance was much easier to hit.

for the duration of 2011's spring/summer, i would field practice upwards of 10 hours a week. The closest course was a 45 minute drive and i had a football field behind my house. So field work was how i sated my dg cravings.

Now, i live 2 minutes from that course and haven't done a lick of field work since.

Latest posts