• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many people have actually pursued the right pec drills?

What amount of effort did you put into the right pec drills?

• Total voters
I did them for a while when I couldn't throw for crap. Now that I know what snap is and how to achieve it I don't really see the point in continuing.

I not only did the drill, i made it my style. Field, casual, and even league rounds i was doing it from the peck and getting laughed at and questioned. Reguardless, i knew my form was crappy and i felt i couldnt afford to revert back to arching.

Ive done all but the hammer drills (without a computer, i had a hard time viewing them). Ive revisted all but the peck drills. Any time ive gone back to a drill with improved knowledge ive reaped more then the initial trial, but sadly havent revisited the pec drills.

The first few months I tried it I practiced it at almost every teepad, a few times, when I was playing solo and the courses weren't full. I also did an hour or two just in the field every week. It's one of those things that might take a month to learn the feel of, or it might take multiple years - which was my case.

I don't do it as much now, but I still put maybe an hour a week into it when possible. It definitely refreshes my muscle memory since I'm not playing or practicing as much as in the past.

Craftsman, VictorB, how did it work out for you? Did it really change your throw, your distance, your accuracy, etc?

I wouldnt give credit solely to the pec drills, but yeah. Due to well researched and well filtered internet advice i can now actually play golf, using my sholder and footwork to aim, having multiple disc and shot options, etc..
It sucked though, everything flew overstable at first.

Im still not a good player but at least now i have the ability and occurance to shoot well.
The best part is now when i get a chance to learn something irl its much easier for them to give me small tip then it was to try to politely say i was doing everything wrong.

I started trying this drill in the field today (yes in the field) and began seeing almost the same exact distance as my normal run up throws :wall: ..... the only problem is that I had less accuracy. I'm going to continue this drill along with the other drills (hammer/towel).

Several of the locals have mentioned that the key to distance is the change in velocity between the reachback and the release.... generating way more speed right after the disc crosses the body. When I tried incorporating the slow reachback in with the same motion of the pec drill, I found myself releasing with way to much anny several times.

Does everybody else here have a much slower reachback.... and almost explode through the rip as the disc passes by your body?

I had a couple of really decent stand-still pec throws today.... a couple went to 270 ..... just shy of where an old pin was placed at 285. These were all with my teebird.... it was the most stable disc I was throwing today.

Maybe after a couple months of these drill I can finally break 300 with my backhand.

I dont know what that right pec drill is, so I voted "never done it".

I spend a lot of time on the practice field though, like 10 hours a week for the last 1.5 years. Doing line shaping and all sorts of technical drills, making crazy mandos to throw around and all the fun stuff :) It certainly helped my game alot.

1st time reading this/ watching the vidio. Shouldn't it be called the left pec drill? Just sayin...

I haven't tried it, but have stepped up the amount of field work that I do every week. Right now I'm focused on putting for 30 mins a day and haven't had time for more than a few drives after that. Once I finish my month of putting I'll be moving on to drills like this one though. My putting has already improved, so I'm a believer in the drills on this site based on that alone.

I never disc'd up, so I practice with what I normally throw - speeds 6-9 and occasionally mids.

I do the pec drill every time I am out on the field, but I don't know if I am feeling anything different. I will say that it feels really weird throwing that way - I always end up reverting to at least a slow x-step while keeping my arm locked at the pec. I am sure I look pretty stupid out there and have to concentrate _a lot_ on keeping form on the pec drill.

The hammer pound drill, I just don't seem to get - I've watched Blake's example videos ~100 times wondering if I am just not holding the disc right or interpreting what he wrote wrong, but it's just not happening for me. I go back at least once a week to re-read and re-watch the videos he made. I've been hoping someone would do a re-shoot of his videos with some narration just so that I might understand them.

I've also watched Brad's video on snap an unknown number of times and still haven't got that down either. I even taped up a disc with arrows and center of rotation for practice.

I am sure all this stuff works or it seems to have worked for a lot of people - I just constantly re-visit and practice what I think I am seeing/reading in hopes that something clicks one of these times.

I pretty much strong arm everything now, but I have tried the loose and grip tight as possible at the end and even with strong arming that adds noticeable distance.

There is a lot of debate and stuff about strong arming, and I always wonder If I am still doing it. I can hit about 400 golf distance with faster discs in the feild right now, and it feels like I'm using some arm, but not too much. Some people have said you can only get too 300 by strong arming, but some say you can throw 400 all arm. I am just confused If I am actually succeeding in half hitting or not yet. When I was at my best last fall I could hit 400 regularly with eagles, rivers, and teebirds.

Also, I did those right pec drills a couple of times in the feild, and they didn't really make any sense. Neither do the hammer pound drills.

I need to stop looking at the technique forum and definitely NOT watch videos like this one at 10 PM because I want to try it out...small problem of complete darkness...:wall:

Amidst all this malarkey about discing down and whatnot, I got to thinking about something else that has had a similar debate: the right pec drills. How many people have actually done them for an extended period of time, or even at all?

It seems like people on here like to talk a big talk about what does and does not work (be it agreeing with discing down, the right pec drill etc. or disagreeing). But I want to know how many people have actively pursued getting better at this game. That means field practice, and that means trying every single drill you've read about on the internet, even if they don't work, or you don't think they work.

I would say pursuing the right pec drill would mean having practiced it in a field for over say, 10-15 hours total in a period no longer than a month, maybe less. That's not a lot of time.

I guess what I want to know is how much time people have put into stuff like discing down and the right pec drill before they either gave up or started seeing results. I know their was a period of time before and during last summer where I completely changed my throw, and disced down for about a month, maybe two months. The first 2 weeks of practicing pretty much everyday where hell. Nothing worked, nothing went far. I was only doing the right pec drill, and I saw no results whatsoever. But I kept at it, and it eventually paid off. This game is not easy

I TL:DR'd the thread cuz I'm tired but wanted to chime in on something:

I don't like the subtle implication here that the right pec drill is a requirement of being serious about improving your game (maybe I'm reading too much into this?)

I think the right pec drill is our sports Ritalin: overperscribed. I got serious about my game, disced down for four months, tried the right pec drill numerous times, and the direct benefit was minimal at best (and nothing that can't be gained from much more effective drills). Why you ask? well for me personally it wasn't part of the problem in my game. The issue is this drill is supposed to be used to address one particular flaw. It's not a power building drill unless you have the particular issue it addresses.

I'm not trying to sh*t on Beto or anything, dude made a free video and it has undeniably helped people...but it's neither the only nor the best way IMHO.

I'll end the rant here, but my point is made. Take it or leave it.

I am just confused If I am actually succeeding in half hitting or not yet. When I was at my best last fall I could hit 400 regularly with eagles, rivers, and teebirds.
Based on that it sounds like you were half hitting to me.

Also, I did those right pec drills a couple of times in the feild, and they didn't really make any sense. Neither do the hammer pound drills.
Based on that it sounds like getting those drills figured out would keep you at your best all the time.

The point of the hammer pound drills is not to teach you what motions to use to throw. If you're trying to copy what you see in the video then you aren't focusing on the right thing. The point is to teach you what it feels like to throw with wrist extension (snap). You want to learn what it feels like to manipulate what feels like a weight at the opposite end of the disc from where you're holding it. If you can't feel that you aren't feeling what "snap" feels like.

The right pec drill is now used to figure out how to apply that feel to your actual throw. You have to experiment until you're getting that same feel that you got from the hammer pound drills. Then you just add things, one at a time before the right pec position that add to the strength to the feel of the hit.

I did it for a few weeks and ended up increasing my distance average 30 feet. Then I got lazy and gave up.

JT, are you gonna share with us the other and better ways of going about improving?

Hey - sorry for delay haven't had much time to log on lately.

I'd be glad to share my thoughts, whether they're better or not I leave up to critique the same way I critique'd Beto's vid.

The most directly translatable drill that I've used is the towel snap drill. In order to do this drill correctly you have to do what I think are 3 key points of a good "swing" (sorry the US Open is on in the background so I may borrow terms, lol).

To get that really good "snap" sound:
1. Keep the towel close to you
2. Pull through, not around your body
3. Keep the whole arm relaxed. Don't "tug" on the towel as you're pulling through.

The reason I prefer this drill to the right pec drill is because I feel like the right pec drill mentally conditions players to force the hit (early). When you have the disc sitting still at your pec you feel the need to accelerate it quickly by pulling it hard from pec to release. Typically this causes loss in accuracy as well as tensing up your muscles which gets your body out of alignment at that critical moment of the hit.

I also think that actually throwing the disc from that setup is stumbling point because inevitably we gravitate towards focusing on the flight (and thus distance)...and if you begin judging the success of the drill with the distance of the disc then you are inviting other factors that may hurt your development (wind, forcing anny to get those extra feet, etc.)

What I think are the advantages of the towel snap drill for learning acceleration/snap are the fact that it's more directly applicable in terms of the motion of the drill vs the motion of the golf throw. Replacing a disc with a towel achieves the same goal IMO as isolating a segment of the throw but with the added benefit of being more natural.

More later. Tiger and Beau are putting on the practice green right now *cue dramatic sting*

Last edited:
Yeah, ill admitt that i felt in my first pec drill trial i found it encouraged arching for me. Ofcourse this was largely due to my lack.of knowledge/skill, but i couldnt grasp at the time how to pull in. For me, the hyzer drills helped me learn to pull in, later improving my sucess with the rpd's.

Latest posts