• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How often do you make 50 footers?

Eh, on the other hand, the internet is also full of people who think anyone who says they throw further than them is full of it.

50' putts in calm conditions aren't that hard. I tend to can at least one or two a round, and I'm no McBeth.

I rerolled my stats and put more points into putting and took a few away from distance. Seems to be working out well for the courses I play, lol.

haha! If only it were like a DnD character! Maybe I'll win a wish spell in league!:LOL:

I think a lot of the C2 putts we see them make on coverage are 35-40 footers. 50 ft is pretty far. Also, if the average is 25% it means the leaders are probably hitting half of those and the rest are not.

Percentages in practice with no pressure and a stack of putters in the hand like a lot of non tour player stats are generally kept are also inflated.

Percentages in practice with no pressure and a stack of putters in the hand like a lot of non tour player stats are generally kept are also inflated.
To me, those percentages serve a purpose. They allow an easy way to gauge improvement/progress. Inflated sounds like cheating - practice percentages with a stack of putters is what it is. It is not intended to be compared as an equivalent to live play percentages, which, for most recreational players, would be way too much of a hassle to try to keep track of. However, it helps the putting mindset in live play to step up, think this looks like a 20 foot putt, and I make 8 out of 10 from 20 feet, so I should be able to knock this down. Plus those practice reps got you muscle memory.

Last edited:
Even playing a round that "counts," i.e. you're tracking your score - the pressure is nothing compared to a tourney....much less a major tourney where every stat is tracked for the world and you're being watched live by a crowd.

Completely different ball game.

Even playing a round that "counts," i.e. you're tracking your score - the pressure is nothing compared to a tourney....much less a major tourney where every stat is tracked for the world and you're being watched live by a crowd.

Yes. But, by the time you get to that level of play, you have more experience playing (and putting), play better, and probably have more experience playing under that pressure as well. I mean, if I make 9 out of 10 free throws, throwing them all in a row, that's still pretty darn good, even if Michael Jordan shot 9 out of 10 in game situations in the NBA finals. What he did, doesn't take anything away from what I did. Even though I will never be able to do what he did, I can still say I made 9 out of 10 free throws, and be proud of my level of shooting them. I like seeing people post their putter make percentages. It gives me an idea of what good putting is. It doesn't mean I think they are Eagle McMahon.

Yeah, I'm giving basement statistics because it's the only place where I keep track. I'm 65% at 30', 50% at the middle pocket of the pool table (about 38'), and I can do 48-footers down there and will make about 1 in 4.

I don't have stats for real rounds, but I won the 2022 Kalamazoo putting league championship at age 49 (beating a 30-year-old former state putting champ), have 8 sanctioned rounds this year with 100% C1 makes, and have no problem making quality runs at big C2 putts and usually am hitting one or two per round.

Putting, upshots and scrambling is what I do. I'm nothing special at all off the tee, especially distance-wise. I fit right in with the good MA-50 players in my state. If my putter is on, I'm scraping together low-900 rated rounds, and had one this year at 960, which was my best round since 2005. If my putter isn't on, I'm sucking big time.

right now i average 2-3 50+ putts per round. when practicing i can get it up to 40%. on my best days (driving) i can get within 60 ft on most of the holes at my home course so i get a lot of on the course time practice at long putts.
there was a time though (1994-2010) i absolutely terrorized wednesday night doubles and bring your partner pro-am events. if i had a big arm driver (or drew one) for a partner it gave me even more confidence and the beer was on everyone else. now at 64 i am happy with the fact that i have a putt of any distance to attempt.

BTW i had my son read this before i hit the post button and he agreed it to be a fair assesment.

Yeah, I'm giving basement statistics because it's the only place where I keep track. I'm 65% at 30', 50% at the middle pocket of the pool table (about 38'), and I can do 48-footers down there and will make about 1 in 4.

I don't have stats for real rounds, but I won the 2022 Kalamazoo putting league championship at age 49 (beating a 30-year-old former state putting champ), have 8 sanctioned rounds this year with 100% C1 makes, and have no problem making quality runs at big C2 putts and usually am hitting one or two per round.

Putting, upshots and scrambling is what I do. I'm nothing special at all off the tee, especially distance-wise. I fit right in with the good MA-50 players in my state. If my putter is on, I'm scraping together low-900 rated rounds, and had one this year at 960, which was my best round since 2005. If my putter isn't on, I'm sucking big time.
Thank you for sharing, Central Scrutinizer. Awesome putting! I have only been playing 3-4 months, but I seem to be trending toward a similar type of game as you. I can probably get to where I have a very good short game, but I am unlikely to ever get big distance drives, as I am 54 and out of 4-5 of us that started playing together, I get the least distance (even though I work on it the most), but I am becoming the best from 100 feet away or less. If I can reach it with a fan grip on a putter, it is in my comfort zone. I am often in a position of having to bail out my short drives with good approach shots and putting.

Yesiree, being good 100' on in is a big deal for us age-protected amateurs. Up and down from there with regularity cleans up a lot of slop that people face around the green. Being super good at the 20-footers is a weapon we old guys can achieve as well as somebody from any age. If you've got that, like I said, it eases the risks associated with running it from deep C2.

To me, those percentages serve a purpose. They allow an easy way to gauge improvement/progress. Inflated sounds like cheating - practice percentages with a stack of putters is what it is. It is not intended to be compared as an equivalent to live play percentages, which, for most recreational players, would be way too much of a hassle to try to keep track of. However, it helps the putting mindset in live play to step up, think this looks like a 20 foot putt, and I make 8 out of 10 from 20 feet, so I should be able to knock this down. Plus those practice reps got you muscle memory.

Agree

Whether it's 20' or 50', I think it's about feel. There is a motion that feels perfect and the disc does what you intended.

When I miss (far too frequently) I almost always know it out if my hand. Longer putts beyond—as I move past c1, become more subjective, but at 50' I still have a pretty good feel for what will happen as it leaves my hand.

At distance, remember for every 1 putt, a 3 putt cancels it out. If you have 10 long putts and make one, but 3 putt a couple you have lost a stroke.

Not necessarily laying it up, but throwing to insure no more than a 2 putt is what I strive for inside c2.

Whether it's 20' or 50', I think it's about feel. There is a motion that feels perfect and the disc does what you intended.

When I miss (far too frequently) I almost always know it out if my hand. Longer putts beyond—as I move past c1, become more subjective, but at 50' I still have a pretty good feel for what will happen as it leaves my hand.

At distance, remember for every 1 putt, a 3 putt cancels it out. If you have 10 long putts and make one, but 3 putt a couple you have lost a stroke.

Not necessarily laying it up, but throwing to insure no more than a 2 putt is what I strive for inside c2.
I go for it every time from 50'. I only make 1-2 out of 10, but still improving. My misses are getting closer and closer, so hopeful my make percentage will increase. Like Central Scrutinizer said, if you can knock down everything inside 20', it frees you up to go for the chains aggressively from further out. I routinely practice 50 footers going for the make, but also follow up finishing any misses to make sure I get the two putt. I make 9 or 10 out of 10 of the second putt. Good enough to justify going for it, and hoping/expecting to improve on my putting as I continue working on it.

Latest posts