• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to be a confident putter

Connorl

Recently I set out to become a better putter and have been putting in a lot of time and practice every day in an attempt to improve my skill and get a better 'feel' for what is comfortable for me. I feel like I am a very good putter but when I am playing rounds I am a timid putter and struggle with confidence on the green. The most frustrating part are the putts that I make over 80% of the time in practice coming up short during a round.

Any tips would be appreciated on dealing with anxiety while putting and also tips on how to be an overall more confident putter.

Why are you being timid? You're a good putter. Run that sh!t! Even if you miss you're gonna make the comeback putt. Chin up, putt through the chains, follow through strong. Good luck!

IMG_20130910_225113_417_zpsdc6c044d.jpg

Won't lie, man. I dyed my putter...the 300 plastics doesn't take well though. Sounds dumb, but I like pulling out a disc, going "#$%& yeah, that's my disc" and then making my shot. I've been getting better at putting as well. Nail down the form and routine, practice randomly because it's easier to make consecutive shots.

I will also be dyeing my driving putter since they are both pa4s... :D one says run it and the other will say gun it. Silly, but it gets my mojo running when I need it.

Also what Jesus said.

Last edited:
Why are you being timid? You're a good putter. Run that sh!t! Even if you miss you're gonna make the comeback putt. Chin up, putt through the chains, follow through strong. Good luck!

yup. we have all been there and probably will be again. some folks add a mantra along with the putting motion. the 'being comfortable' is usually in the putting routine - however elaborate or simple. being confidant is something more. know before the round you can make any 15' comeback. then splash the chains and let the chains do their job. :thmbup:

You need to amp up the pressure in your putting practice. I did this by playing a game during putting practice. There is risk and reward for making and missing putts. I was tracking how I was doing and worked hard to get averages up. Play a game, track your results, more pressure makes those practice putts more like real putts in the round. Otherwise you are just throwing a disc around, which isn't really practice. I probably scream and yell more at myself during my putting practice than I do anywhere else, but that makes the real rounds feel a lot smaller and my confidence in putting has shot sky high.

I recently started practicing with only two putters. I toss them each on the ground far enough apart that I mark each one separately and have to go through my whole "course putting" routine on every putt. I figure quality over quantity, and in the last month it has served me well. Everything in practice and on the course is now the same. Also, two deep breaths before I address. Working so far...

I highly recommend reading the book "Zen Golf" by Joseph Parent. It has been discussed previously on the boards, and changed my mental game for the better.

The concepts are almost completely transferable to DG even though it is written for Golf. There is also a book specifically on putting, but I haven't looked into it yet.

Amazon.com link

I highly recommend reading the book "Zen Golf" by Joseph Parent. It has been discussed previously on the boards, and changed my mental game for the better.

The concepts are almost completely transferable to DG even though it is written for Golf. There is also a book specifically on putting, but I haven't looked into it yet.

Amazon.com link

Another excellent book is the inner game of golf it has a lot about the mental parts of the game and how to be a confident player.

What everyone else has said.

Next time you practice pay attention to your routine. Find a routine that you like. Get used to trusting your routine when you play. This will get you through the high pressure moments.

If you're willing to read some books: Zen Golf, Golf is not a Game of Perfect, Golf in the Kingdom. There are more books but I stopped after I read Golf is not a Game of Perfect. It may be the only book you need.

Make putts at random times.
Putting practice gives you a lot of confidence simply because you're hitting a lot of putts.
However, step up to your practice basket at random times and throw one or two putts each time. This will give you a feel of your course experience.
One putt and then walk for five minutes; wash, rinse, repeat.

Relax and have a routine. Earlier this season I started out with my putting on fire then I hit a wall and started missing a lot of easy putts. I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. I was way to intense about it. So, I relaxed my grip, take one deep breath and focused on a routine. Bam! That was it. I'm back in the saddle.

What helped me was I stopped (for the most part) practicing putts that I'm not making at least ~80% of. Now when I putt on the course, I expect the disc to go in, since that's what I see all the time when I practice. I think that goes to show that, at least for me, putting is largely about confidence.

It seems you have successfully built muscle memory, now you need to teach your brain to trust your muscle memory. all you have to do is turn your brain off. Your body knows how to put(t) the disc in the basket, you do not need to think about it. Clear your mind, visualize the putt hitting dead center, breath, stay relaxed, trust your routine, and trust your body.

If you miss one, do not question your mechanics, do not start "aiming". If you have been a little low on the bin maybe pick a higher target link and trust your muscle memory.

You have to believe every putt is going in. I know when I am in the zone I am legitimately shocked when a putt hits the bin.

I used to have some trouble (still do) with this. I realized that while I was "confident", I was still screwing up one large aspect. I would focus on a putt and not realize my putting motion slowed down. That slowing down of the putt would make me fall short quite often. So now I just make sure that every putt is a relatively quick motion. I still focus on all my putts, but remind my arm from time to time to keep it quick.

Of course, if I just practiced more often this would be less of an issue as muscle memory would take over.

I experienced the same thing. Now when I practice by myself I play Around the World, just like the basketball game. I have specific spots to putt from that start about 8' and range to about 30-35' and I can't advance to the next spot until I make 3 in a row. However if I miss 2 in a row I go back a spot. When I am able to practice with a friend or 2 we play HORSE. Both of these put pressure on each put and I have seen the results in my game.

Latest posts