• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to Choose a Senior-Friendly Pro Event

We note (see fall 2014 PDGA summit minutes) that Pro Worlds may soon become Open-only, and that the 40+ pros would be relegated to a more "family get-together" type of event which would presumably be less competitive and have less added cash. That would be very sad for us.

Why would a Masters World Championship event inherently be "less competitive" or have "less added cash". I would think the opposite.

We note (see fall 2014 PDGA summit minutes) that Pro Worlds may soon become Open-only, and that the 40+ pros would be relegated to a more "family get-together" type of event which would presumably be less competitive and have less added cash. That would be very sad for us.

I think this is a fairly big assumption to make about a potential Senior Worlds. As an independent event with its own set of TDs/organizers (and presumably, it's own local pool of potential donors/sponsors), isn't there potential for bigger purses if the Open players aren't there to take their "share" of the added cash pie?

I guess it comes down to how much of the added cash at Worlds now comes from the PDGA itself (through its fundraising efforts and dues driven funds) and how much is generated by the local organizers. There must be an easily achievable point where the ratio of local to PDGA derived funding would actually benefit the senior divisions having their own separate event. X amount of dollars spread over, say, 4 divisions is going to amount to more per division than X amount spread over 5.

I think this is a fairly big assumption to make about a potential Senior Worlds. As an independent event with its own set of TDs/organizers (and presumably, it's own local pool of potential donors/sponsors), isn't there potential for bigger purses if the Open players aren't there to take their "share" of the added cash pie?

I guess it comes down to how much of the added cash at Worlds now comes from the PDGA itself (through its fundraising efforts and dues driven funds) and how much is generated by the local organizers. There must be an easily achievable point where the ratio of local to PDGA derived funding would actually benefit the senior divisions having their own separate event. X amount of dollars spread over, say, 4 divisions is going to amount to more per division than X amount spread over 5.
I agree with JC here. again the key point is the amount of added cash the PDGA contributes. But I would say that the local organizers would have a good chance to raise a decent chunk of change for a Senior only World Championship. AND the old guys would get a crack at the top courses in the host city instead of having to play the B courses not being used by the Open Div.

For the past several years, the PDGA guarantees the 25% cash added to each pro division at Worlds. This has allowed the hosts to raise money to help run the event and potentially increase the added cash. None have so far that I recall, even Charlotte. Without any firm knowledge of what might happen if the Open is split off for its own Worlds, my expectation would be that the PDGA would continue to guarantee the 25% added for pro divisions at each Worlds and hope the hosts were able to raise enough money to add to that since their expenses would potentially be lower with a smaller total field at an Open Worlds.

Did you publish this year's senior friendly events yet?

to MikeK:

Read post #81 again. I have not formally defined a Divisional Tour this year. I have made a series of general comments to help members find their own senior-friendly events. Except for the material that I have shared on this thread, those comments are for Newsgroup members only. You, and anyone else, are welcome to join. Just email me ([email protected]).