• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to NOT get huge skips..help?

blackandwhite

Double Eagle Member
So for some reason this season, when I use a go to driver (predominately my EG Boss, Star Boss, and Champ Destroyer) and I flick it or back hand it, 4-5 times when it reaches the ground it takes a BIG skip (depending on the throw, the skip is with the corresponding direction)

i dont recall having this problem in years prior, and am not sure why it presents itself now. its cool to do and place so that the skip angle and height give it a good chance most times for a skip ace, but then when i have to walk 30+ feet past the basket to retrieve the disc, it makes me mad

any advice or words of wisdom?

thanks

the wide rimmed drivers skip like mad. imo the destroyer is not as bad about it as the boss which is the most "skippy" disc i have ever thrown. not a lot you can do about it other than changing landing angles.

Play the skip, or stop using wide rim discs, or throw everything high enough that it lands on the rim and can't skip.

No secrets here.

you just have to play the skip. discs skip. throw them high they won't skip as much, but then you could lose distance. Throw something with a blunter rim....that usually means med range or something, but then again, you're losing distance because of the disc. find discs that skip str8er (wraiths, valks, beasts). Really nothing you can do about the skip man.

The Boss definitely has the most skip of any disc. You can throw it on different angles or throw a less stable or slower disc. Also if you are throwing the Boss 30' past the basket, you should be throwing a slower disc.

the boss is one of the discs i use as a flick and backhand disc. i like the distance out of it for both throws and i dont feel i get that with other discs. i had a beast and found it was too flippy for me.

when i throw backhand i like not having to cramp fingers to throw it which is why i guess i never paid attention to the thickness of the rim.

anyone know of any slightly smaller rimmed discs comparable to the flight characteristics of the boss?

and thanks for all the actual help

I'd definitely say to throw a slower disc if you're blowing by the basket. If you're using a Boss/Destroyer on holes that you can go 30' past the basket with those discs, you should be able to grab some slower discs, get less of a skip, and still reach the hole.

Personally, I wouldn't throw a Destroyer/Boss unless I couldn't reach the hole with any other (slower) disc. Even if I could only reach the hole with a Wraith 1 out of 100 times, and the Boss 50 out of 100, I'd still throw the wraith for consistency. But that's about 40 other threads wrapped up into two sentences.

call me crazy but i love throwing my boss on short holes. i love playing the skip. i just think its an awesome disk

i dont recall having this problem in years prior, and am not sure why it presents itself now.

I suspect that the reason that this is a problem now is that you're throwing a little better. Because the disc is travelling faster, it is travelling on a flatter plane - so you get more skip.
As others have suggested, get a more stable disc and throw it the same (less skip) or play your disc for a steeper approach (less skip).

lol called it. First thing I thought was, "Well don't throw the boss", just by the title. Throw slower, odds are you aren't throwing over 400' with that boss anyway, so it really shouldn't be thrown. Use mids and fairways to about 325-350. Then go to drivers.

the boss is one of the discs i use as a flick and backhand disc. i like the distance out of it for both throws and i dont feel i get that with other discs. i had a beast and found it was too flippy for me.

when i throw backhand i like not having to cramp fingers to throw it which is why i guess i never paid attention to the thickness of the rim.

anyone know of any slightly smaller rimmed discs comparable to the flight characteristics of the boss?

and thanks for all the actual help

The Beast and Boss are completely different discs. I would suggest a Wraith, Starfire, or Firebird, depending on how (over)stable you want.

Concerning Cramping your fingers, learn to use different grips. For forehand, there's only a few different grips, but backhand has at least 20 different grips, of which 8 or so are extremely practical for many throws. The best article on Grip I know of is here:

http://www.innovadiscs.com/tips/davesgripsmain.html

And here's one on the grip you're probably using for distance:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/gripittoripit.shtml

And if you are an eager beaver, here's another one that is just basic stuff, but stuff you should know.

i love the answer to all questions concerning the boss: dont throw the boss

Just like most responded on this, stay away from wide-rimmed and fast discs keep it lower or just play the skip.

Latest posts