• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to set a basket on a hill?

crusadersounds

Je Me Souviens Never Forget
Ok, so the last hole on my course is on a fairly steep hill. I want to know how I can set the basket (setting in concrete) to make it stay upright and plumb.

This is how we handled the one on the dam at the course I am helping with

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 277
That is freakin sweet. Your other option may be to tier the hill so have a flat surface. Not the whole hill, but the area where the basket is - which would help with possible erosion issues you may have too.

The good thing about texhop's picture is it helps prevent the ground around the basket from eroding away over time, which is a problem on sloped greens and tees on hills.

Retaining walls are effective if well executed.

From what I gather is it was done pretty cheaply by the city. It sits off of dam. The base is roughly 6.5 foot high putting basket right around 7.5 foot high. Hole is only 225 foot long but we felt with trees and uphill putting this was fair. Plus there is a nasty wind off the lake and dam. It may be a project you consider over time. We almost built it on lower land and was going to add it later but city said they wanted it done right when it opened. We were like cool nthe other picture is from above off the dam before it got filled in

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 168
If I pitch the erosion part, the guy in charge might go for it. He got his degree in plant ecology, so generally he wants it to be as minimally invasive as possible, but this might be "better for the environment."

That seems to solve a lot of problems, texhop58. Well done.

What ever you do, box in the basket area and then terrace the hill in some way, even the one that Texhop has put up will have erosion to the left and right and he'd be served to get some horizontal erosion protection.

might make sense to set some steps in to the hill with blocks so people will use one path to go up and down to the green area.

I imagine if you just anchor the basket deep enough in the ground, it'll work whether it's on flat or a hill.
Some places definitely make it work. Hole #15 at Forked Run State Park in Reedsville, OH has one of the pin positions directly on the side of a steep hill. I played it and they didn't seem to have any problems with erosion. Putting on it sure did suck tho :)

personally, I would PM "Bill at Flip". Bill has many baskets set into hillsides without terracing or retaining walls that have been there for 15-20 years without issue... he may be ablet to give you some tips....

Flip is also out of the way enough that it doesn't get the heavy traffic of a popular public park course, so he doesn't have to work quite as hard at preventing erosion and compaction.

Latest posts