• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Huge Roadtrip across 9+ States! Need Input!

CincyRocs

Bogey Member
My cousin and I are planning a huge road-trip this January. We are posting this because we want your guys input on thoughts of the trip. Our trip is going to be about a week long, going across 9 states, and are looking to play some of the best courses in the places we stop at.

Date - Stop - # of Courses that can be played

• Jan 5th - Birmingham, AL - 1 Course (George Ward)
  • Jan 6th - Pensacola, FL - 2 Courses
  • Jan 7th - New Orleans, LA - 1 Course
  • Jan 8th - Baton Rouge, LA - 1 Course
  • Jan 8th - Houston, TX - 1 Course
  • Jan 9-10 - Dallas, TX - 3+ Courses
  • Jan 10-11 - Oklahoma City, OK - 2 Courses
  • Jan 11th - Wichita, KS - 1 Course
  • Jan 12th - Kansas City, MO - 2 Courses
  • Jan 13th - St. Louis, MO - 1 Course

We want your guys feedback on:
  • Courses to Play
  • Places to See/Visit
  • Sights to See/Visit
  • Tournaments/Leagues
  • Disc Golf Stores
  • Disc Golf Pros who hang at local courses
  • PEOPLE to play with!! (Some of you!)

Yea, so you guys know where we are going and what we are looking for! Any input/advice/counsel would be greatly appreciated! Maybe we'll see some of you come January!

Sounds awesome I have no feedback about the courses, but I will be heading through St Louis (possibly playing 1 round), then staying in Memphis and hitting 1-2 courses, then staying in New Orleans and hitting the only one in the city and maybe one other. I will then head east through pensacola also (its a shame I dont know anyone who could get me on the blue angels courses (I would love to however). I will be in Tampa on January 1st, so keep an eye out for my reviews before you leave.

By the way, my idea of a 1 week trip with that much distance would include a whole lot more disc golf. Are you planning on doing other things or just disc golf? You can play a round in an hour or 2 on most 18 hole courses, so you should be able to play more than just 1-2 courses per day. Of course if you are only looking for the best courses in the area those will probably challenge you more and take longer to play.

Regardless have an awesome trip. I would do it all the time if someone would pay my bills!

Wichita to St. Louis

I live in Lawrence, KS and my parents live in St. Louis, MO so I am a little familiar with the route. I am going to preface by admitting that I have never played any of these courses and that I chose because I know people who swear by these courses.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou....919887,-94.453583&spn=0.658167,1.340332&z=10
Here are all the points on the map:

A. Oklahoma City - just figured I would start there

B. Herman Hill

C. Emporia - Home of Dynamic Discs. I believe the "store" is actually in his basement and you would probably have to email him to give him a heads up. Ive never been there, but I have ordered from Jeremy several times and he has been A++++

D. Prairie Center

E. Disc Golf World - as far as I know, the largest selection in Kansas/Missouri. Owned and run by Hall of Famer, DiscGolfer Magazine Editor, and President of KC Flying Disc Club Rick Rothstein. He is an awesome guy, and he will most likely be there, he might even play a round with you.

F. Water Works Park

G. Boulevard Brewery - I try to make it a point to visit big breweries wherever I go. People here in Lawrence go gaga over "Bully Wheat."

H. Gateway Disc Sports - Its the home of Gateway... awesome. Pick up some misprints for 5 bucks each.

I. Sioux Passage

J. Anheuser-Busch Brewery - This is a lot like that field trip you took to the Aquarium in kindergarten... except instead of fish, there is a lot of beer. A lot of beer. Whether you like Anheuser-Busch or not, this tour is powerful... pretty much the history of beer in America.

Only course that I have played in any of the destinations that you plan on going to is near Pensacola. I played the course in Gulf Breeze a few years back with a few friends. I do remember it being a nice little course, short holes, but very technical. There are a few water hazards on the course and I lost a disc to one of them, but the course was pretty fun and I do want to get back there to play it again sometime.

I don't know if you will be heading as far south in Florida as Destin, but the Emerald coast is beautiful, probably one of the best places to visit in Florida, just not for disc golf.

My cousin and I are planning a huge road-trip this January. We are posting this because we want your guys input on thoughts of the trip. Our trip is going to be about a week long, going across 9 states, and are looking to play some of the best courses in the places we stop at.

Nothing against my Okie friends, but unless you plan on including the Norman area to the south, there really aren't two courses in OKC worth visiting. (Granted, I haven't played Cunningham in Edmond yet). Might as well drive all the way to Wichita from Dallas. You can make it in under six hours.

The best disc golf town here is Emporia, KS. Home of Dynamic Discs, about halfway between Wichita and Kansas City. 30,000 people and four 18 hole courses. Three of which are very good.

Kind of brave of you to take a DG'ing trip this time of year. I for one, wouldn't risk it. Keep an eye on the weather while you travel and prepare to make detours if necessary.

There is a decent brewery with good food that I hit up when I traveled through OK City... (Brickhouse, Brickyard... something like that). Anyway, decent beer (3.2% - Yikes!) and really good food (atleast what I had was good). And, Dolese Youth Park has a pretty decent course too.
Have Fun!
DSCJNKY

Nothing against my Okie friends, but unless you plan on including the Norman area to the south, there really aren't two courses in OKC worth visiting. (Granted, I haven't played Cunningham in Edmond yet). Might as well drive all the way to Wichita from Dallas. You can make it in under six hours.

The best disc golf town here is Emporia, KS. Home of Dynamic Discs, about halfway between Wichita and Kansas City. 30,000 people and four 18 hole courses. Three of which are very good.

Kind of brave of you to take a DG'ing trip this time of year. I for one, wouldn't risk it. Keep an eye on the weather while you travel and prepare to make detours if necessary.

I do agree with this... I only put a wichita course in because it looked like you were staying there, but if you don't have to be in Wichita take the time to get to Emporia and spend time there instead.

• Jan 5th - Birmingham, AL - 1 Course (George Ward)
  • Jan 6th - Pensacola, FL - 2 Courses
  • Jan 7th - New Orleans, LA - 1 Course
  • Jan 8th - Baton Rouge, LA - 1 Course
  • Jan 8th - Houston, TX - 1 Course
  • Jan 12th - Kansas City, MO - 2 Courses
  • Jan 13th - St. Louis, MO - 1 Course

• Courses to Play
  • Places to See/Visit
  • Sights to See/Visit
  • Tournaments/Leagues
  • Disc Golf Stores
  • Disc Golf Pros who hang at local courses
  • PEOPLE to play with!! (Some of you!)

Yea, so you guys know where we are going and what we are looking for! Any input/advice/counsel would be greatly appreciated! Maybe we'll see some of you come January!

Give me another heads up when you're coming to st. louis and i can show you around sioux passage.

although that course is certainly worthy of the visit, i'd also suggest Rockspring in Alton, illinois. Only 15 or 20 min away from sioux (most of which would be made back up by way of rockspring being a shorter course), and one of the areas signature bars, Fast Eddie's is less than 2 miles from the park.

Sounds awesome I have no feedback about the courses, but I will be heading through St Louis (possibly playing 1 round), then staying in Memphis and hitting 1-2 courses, then staying in New Orleans and hitting the only one in the city and maybe one other. I will then head east through pensacola also (its a shame I dont know anyone who could get me on the blue angels courses (I would love to however). I will be in Tampa on January 1st, so keep an eye out for my reviews before you leave.

By the way, my idea of a 1 week trip with that much distance would include a whole lot more disc golf. Are you planning on doing other things or just disc golf? You can play a round in an hour or 2 on most 18 hole courses, so you should be able to play more than just 1-2 courses per day. Of course if you are only looking for the best courses in the area those will probably challenge you more and take longer to play.

Regardless have an awesome trip. I would do it all the time if someone would pay my bills!

likewise, if you choice of st. louis courses is sioux passage or endicott, i can point you in the right direction as well.

Cincy,

For Pensacola you need to get in with a Navy guy or member of the Emerald Coast DGC. There are 2 courses at Blue Angel that are supposed to be really good.

If you can't get on base there are several other courses to try:

Ferry Park, Fort Walton Beach...plays around canals and is short but fun.
Sunset DGC, Gulf Breeze...haven't played yet, going to this weekend, has island green
Pirates Cove/Gator Links, Milton, played the 9 holer, its tight but fun
Whiting Field, Milton- 9 holer just off base, will play this weekend as well
UWF campus, Pensacola- Haven't played

Not sure if your travel plans are set in stone, but I'd say drop Oklahoma City and Houston in favor of Austin. Sure, I'm a bit biased, but I highly doubt these cities have courses that can compete with the likes of Circle C, Wilco, Pease, East Metro, MetCenter, Austin Ridge...takes deep breath..., Circle R - Rolling Meadow, Circle R - Circ Hill, Twin Parks Country Club - Parkshire, or even the 9 holer at Brushy Creek Sports Park, which is nestled in between Wilco and Brush Creek M.U.D., which is a nice little 18 holer in itself if you're looking for something on the easier side. Out of all of these though, I'd say Circle C is a must. If you do decide to hit up Austin, I'd be happy to play a round with you and show you the ropes.

Last edited:
I need to know what part of Houston you are going to be in on that Friday. I can meet you at my home course in the afternoon. Its on the northeast side of town. PM me and let me know how long you will be in town. I also have some great places in my area that I can recommend for dinner. Just PM me.

Since you are going to be in Dallas and not Fort Worth . . .

Harry Meyer in Rockwall and the 2 Lester Lorch Courses in Cedar Hill are your clear choices.

Cincy, what is your preference as far as sleeping accommodations? (Budget motel, nice hotel, camping?).

I've found that when daylight for playing is at a premium, it really helps to try to minimize drive time and to try to defer as much of driving as possible to hours after dark. It saves on gas money as well. You're going to lose as much time/gas as it is getting lost. In a place like Dallas or Houston, what might look like a seemingly simple 15 miles on the map, might take an hour to get across at the wrong time of day. Knowing distances and routes from where you stay helps significantly.

Of course this comes at cost of perhaps having to eat while on the road, passing up the best courses for decent ones that might be more accessible, and getting to your next stop for the night around 10 PM.

Give me that and I might be able to give you a "How I would do it" itinerary, and perhaps others here can fill in some more info for their areas as well.

Last edited:
Scarpfish,

We plan to do some driving during the day and some at night. For instance, we'll drive from Baton Rouge to Houston during the day, play a course, drive until the night. This is just because we need to drive farther to get the places we are staying at. But we going to be playing at least 2 courses a day and doing alot of driving at night.

Since we are PDGA members we get the 10% at all Wydham Hotels. So they will be more budget but all have continental breakfast and internet. Also, we plan on buying food from grocery stores, so most of food will come from there.

We will have a GPS and will know how long it will take to drive places.

Hope that helps.

Cincy

there are some fine courses in st.louis and if your schedule allows head a little further east to centralia il.(60m. east of the mississippi). the course is foundation park,we have a 9 hole rec. and 18 hole champ course. anybody from st.louis will back me up in saying that the par 70 champ course is worth the extra drive.check us out here on his site and at www.centraliadiscgolf.com
you can still head south to memphis by interstate from here. let me know your plans and i'll make sure we can go play. hell, even if you can't come make it this far i'll head to st.louis to play!

Latest posts