• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Huge Roadtrip across 9+ States! Need Input!

We plan to do some driving during the day and some at night. For instance, we'll drive from Baton Rouge to Houston during the day, play a course, drive until the night. This is just because we need to drive farther to get the places we are staying at. But we going to be playing at least 2 courses a day and doing alot of driving at night.
Okay, with that in mind, I would have you coming into Dallas on the afternoon of the 9th. I would hit the Lester Lorch courses on the way in as others have recommended.

Lester Lorch - Coyote - Lester Lorch - Beaver

That is a Saturday, and there would be plenty of nightlife to go hit if you aren't too tired. I'd recommend a motel up in North Dallas or the near north-northeast suburbs (Garland, Addison, Plano). On your full day in Dallas, hit Harry Myers and maybe Towne Lake up in McKinney.
Leaving the next morning for Oklahoma, I'd hit Lake Lewisville on the way out of town.

When you get near OKC, I would pull off I-35 in Norman and hit Griffin Park and then stop in OKC for the night. The Bricktown District downtown is kind of neat. There's a good hub of motels and eateries out at I-40 and Meridian. If you have time for another course the next morning, I'd recommend Dolese Youth Park up towards the NW part of the city.

Heading up to Wichita, there's pretty much nothing spectacular in between without deviating from the interstate much. There is a very nice private two course complex called The Lodge in Pawhuska, OK, which hosted a NT last year, but this is in the boonies almost 1.5 hours off I-35.

In Wichita, you could almost do a coin flip between Herman Hill Park and Oak Park. Oak is a pretty park and has more water threat, but Herman is more dynamic because it has movable pins. Its also probably the easier of the two to find as it is at a major intersection. There's some budgetary lodging just blocks from Herman, but unless you want to potentially deal with something like this during the night, I'd steer clear of them. I'd in fact avoid any lodging with the word "Broadway" in the address. There are plenty of motels along US-54, and I'd recommend one east of downtown as some on the west side are getting ghettoish in their own right. It'll also get you on your way quicker.

On the way to KC, stop in Emporia, Kansas and play at least one of the Jones Park courses. The east course is the more challenging of the two.

Oh, I forgot to mention I-35 is a toll road from just north of the OK state line to Emporia. Have about $6 ready for this ripoff.

Going into KC, Prairie Center Park in Olathe is a decent play, but not the best in town. I would head into downtown and stop at Disc Golf World as jartiv recommended. Its in an arts district on the east side of downtown. The showroom is a bit on the small and spartan side, but if its not up front, they might have what you're looking for in the back. If you still have time for a course, hit either the amazing Water Works Park or Cliff Drive. If you're up to it, there's also KC's famed 11,000' monster at Blue Valley Park. I would plan at least 3-4 hours to get through Blue Valley. Both it and Cliff are in less than decent parts of town so make sure you lock your car and don't leave anything in view that might be tempting to steal like your GPS.

On the way to St. Louis, Columbia, MO has some decent courses, but I would pass on them to get to suburban St. Louis and play Sioux Passage.

Hope that was of help. I also hope the snow melts in some of these places before you get there. Have a safe trip.

I've got to agree that if you had to pick one course in StL, it would probably be Sioux Passage with Jefferson Barracks running a close 2nd...but they are in 2 COMPLETELY DIFFERENT parts of town. They have to be about and hour apart (drive time). If you play Sioux Passage and have time, you really should run over to Alton and play Rockspring. It is really close to Sioux and makes for a nice contrasting course...really deceptively tough.

BTW---in KC, Water Works has got to be the play. I played it for the first time this year and was blown away by the beauty of the course. Just based on pure aesthetics, has to be one of the top 2 courses I have played---and it is tons of fun to boot.

I've got to agree that if you had to pick one course in StL, it would probably be Sioux Passage with Jefferson Barracks running a close 2nd...but they are in 2 COMPLETELY DIFFERENT parts of town. They have to be about and hour apart (drive time). If you play Sioux Passage and have time, you really should run over to Alton and play Rockspring. It is really close to Sioux and makes for a nice contrasting course...really deceptively tough.

BTW---in KC, Water Works has got to be the play. I played it for the first time this year and was blown away by the beauty of the course. Just based on pure aesthetics, has to be one of the top 2 courses I have played---and it is tons of fun to boot.

I agree with both of these. Also, if you have the time to get east of St. Louis, Centrailia is definitely worth a stop. One of the best courses in Illinois. I would also put Alton amongst their best; though this one is still kind of new and a little rough around the edges yet.

Playing Birmingham but not making it 2 more hours north to Huntsville (6 courses) makes me sad.

Brahan Springs would be a historic game of DG. Picture Ed headrick pointing to the patch of pine trees and recommending that be the location for the course...If you like wooded courses then there is Mastin Lake and Monte Sano and if you like longer courses then there is UAH and Indian Creek and if you know someone, then you can get to play the Redstone course. And, if you like longer courses in general, the Trussville course may be more to your liking than George Ward in the Birmingham area. Huntsville also has the Space and Rocket center with Saturn rockets and life sized space shuttle if you are into geeky stuff like that.

Good Luck

Instead of going from Birmingham to Pensacola you should do Mobile instead. There are 5 or 6 courses there and you will save some driving time also. I haven't played there but have been meaning to. plenty of info on this site to go by.

Okay, sorry I didn't see this thread earlier, but here's my input for you:

First: Birmingham. Agreed on the Huntsville comment if you should decide to stop there first, but George Ward is still a very solid choice. Civitian Park is good, but not as well done as George Ward.

Second: Houston. My hometown so I gotta love the play, but I second the opinion about driving straight through Houston and playing in Austin and then taking 35 north to Dallas. You will be so much happier if you did. If you decide to stop in Houston I recommend playing these courses - all of which are North or Northwest.
1. McDade Park in Conroe - north of Houston
2. Windwood Church - Northwest Houston
3. Shawshank - Private and technically in Huntsville, but email or call Steve DuFrane for permission and directions. It is by far the best, hardest, and most diverse in the area. Also on the way to Dallas, so it may work well with your trip plans.
4. I would say Jack Brooks (2 courses in Southwest of Houston - but can be out of the way.)
5. If you decide to play McDade - pair it with Terramont Park - a little 9 hole with a big hill and lots of fun and quick.

but...

If you pass up Houston and go to Austin instead - oh my, my friend - you have lots of good choices.
1. Circle C at Slaughter Creek (my current favorite. Newly redone and very good)
2. East Metro Park - Driving from Houston into Austin you can almost run right into it. It's another very solid Houck course.
3. MetCenter - Haven't played it, but I here great things.
4. Austin Ridge Bible Church - Again I haven't played it, but I've heard many people claim that this is new best course in Austin, which is a pretty bold statement.
5. Circle R - It's more west, out of the way, and open on a very limited basis so you would have to call, but it's two great courses, and you could hit the Salt Lick BBQ after your done - one the greatest Texas BBQ experiences a person could ever have. Man it's good.
6. Pease Park - Very popular - but I would skip it, because it's not amazing anymore since there are so many other good courses, and it will take a while to play because of crowds.

Third: Dallas. Okay, so again Dallas has a hella good amount of courses to play. If you came up from Austin, both Lester Lorch courses - Coyote and Beaver are on the way, so I would hit those. However...
1. Harry Myers in Rockwall - (phenomenal Houck course) I love it, and many say it's the best in Dallas.
2. Towne Lake & Alex Clark in McKinney. A good couple of courses to finish on your way north out of town. Towne Lake is much better, but Alex Clark is very fun.

I did a Dallas trip in March and played (in this order) Towne Lake, Alex Clark, Harry Myers, Porter Park, and B.B. Owen in one day with a buddy. That my friend was a good day of golf, and we still finished in time for dinner, so plan your attack accordingly.

I have (cough cough) reviewed almost every course I've gone over (sorry about all the shameless plugs), but if you want a lot more details about the overall course quality, locations, and opinions - check it out and get yourself educated.

Also, if you need more specific information - feel free to PM me any time about courses and good places to eat in Texas or Birmingham.

Last edited:
Actually you should just cancel the rest of your trip and spend it playing all the courses in the DFW area. Way too many great courses there.

When in KC after playing Water Works DGC. I'd stop in at Disc Golf World and say hello to Rick and his staff, pick up some cool merchandise and drive a few blocks to the Negro Baseball Hall of Fame (I got to tell ya, this insitution made me feel very emotional, well worth the entry fee). The Jazz Hall of Fame is in an adjacent building and I did tour that insitution too, but the Negro Baseball Hall of Fame is a must stop as it Arthur Bryant's BBQ ribs which is so close to these 2 Museums that you could walk, but I'd suggest driving (if you can read between the lines, as these places aren't in the best of neighborHOODs. But are safe to visit during day time hours).

In St. Louis, I'd visit the ARCH. it shouldn't be that busy this time of year and it's pretty neat to go up and check out the veiw. Ted Drewes Frozen Custard is a cool place to visit. Very well known in the ST.Louis area. IMHO, Jefferson Barracks is the DGC to play in ST.Louis.

Cincy could not have possibly timed this road trip any worse.

GulfFreeze.jpg

http://www.accuweather.com/regional-news-story.asp?region=southusnews

I hope he brought his northern climate weather gear for his southern road trip.

Yeah I am feeling the same way but it IS NOT going to stop me from playing, as long as the course isnt buried in snow because I did not bring my boots. Fortunately I have been in FLorida since the temps dropped but I am concerned about my route home from Orlando through Georgia, SC and NC.