• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hyzer flipping, how is it done?

I throw almost every shot as a hyzer-flip. Learning to control the amount of hyzer and how a disc will respond is great. I also rarely turn discs over to the right. My favorite discs for hyzer flips are fuse/axis/buzz/roc like mids with good HSS and capable of huge D but very accurate as well when needed and beat/seasoned 9-11 speed neutral to OS drivers. Only way to get big D with a putter IMO is to throw a hyzer flip and man do my ions loveeeeeee it. Only putter maybe I can compare which competes is a seasoned pure which hyzer flip tooooo nice.

It also helps to put a lot spin on the disc. It will keep it from turning too much. Keep it locked in the line.

Take your flippiest driver, mid, putter. Throw it low and with a lot of hyzer. Watch it work wonders.

There's not much to say after this. A hyzer flip is one of the easiest shots in disc golf. Second to the hyzer. The disc does all the work for you on a flip.

My favorite hyzerflip recently is the one that keeps going left. I would use an old flat top dx cobra (now lost, replaced with a tursas) and throw a high shot with as close to vertical release angle as is comfortable. I would also sort of cut off my follow through. The thing would eventually flip over to flat but by the time it does its moving left pretty good. Also neat because the disc glides most at the end of the flight.

I'm still working on throwing it consistently, but I'm having the most success thus far with beat-in understable putters and slower mid-ranges. I have yet to achieve the "aha" moment.

My favorite hyzerflip recently is the one that keeps going left. I would use an old flat top dx cobra (now lost, replaced with a tursas) and throw a high shot with as close to vertical release angle as is comfortable. I would also sort of cut off my follow through. The thing would eventually flip over to flat but by the time it does its moving left pretty good. Also neat because the disc glides most at the end of the flight.

Just a word of advice, be careful with that. The follow through is pretty much always a good thing. It helps prevent injuries and leads to better accuracy/power.

As far as the hyzer flip goes, I can't believe no one's mentioned the Stingray yet. The smoothest hyzer flips I've thrown have been with a max weight DX Stingray. Such an awesome disc. It's always my go to for rollers and hyzer flips.

I've been working on the hyzer flip sporadically for a while. Sometime I have it and can get my Tursas on some real laser beams. Other times (like yesterday after reading this thread) I go to the field and try them and all my shots end up being huge high hyzers or worm burners. I think it was nose angle and following through on the wrong plane that caused the huge air hyzers.

I love the shot when it works but I wouldn't say it's easy to do, at least not for me!

Love me some hyzer-flips; definitely my favorite shot in the game and one I was lucky to gravitate towards early - my weapon of choice, and it still is for H-Flips, is the Sidewinder. The angle of release and snap determines the flight, and with the right disc (typically something understable) you can hit nearly any line off the tee. If I want the disc to flip up almost to flat - get moderate distance - and fade, I throw it at a ~7:00 angle. I throw with moderate power at the ~8:00 angle, and I flip up to flat, glide for 325ft+, and finish straight or with a very slight fade. I throw with more significant snap at the ~8:00 angle and I flip up to flat, glide for huge distance while flipping up flat and slowly turning, and fade or hold the turn depending on the height. (This is all for RHBH).

Since discovering the SW, I have developed a disc at each slot that I like to use for hyzer-flip/turnover/understable role. For a putter H-Flipper I use the PA4 in 400s plastic (again, everything from hyzer finishes to full turnovers), for my mid I use the Meteor (beautiful hyzer-flip lazers, gentle turnovers, and pure accuracy), for my fairway I use an Underworld, for moderate drives I use the Sidewinder, and for the full Hyzer-flip distance I use the Sword.

Take your flippiest driver, mid, putter. Throw it low and with a lot of hyzer. Watch it work wonders.

I use, beat rocs, Eagles, teebirds, destroyers for my hyzer flip duties. Mainly a lot of rocs and teebirds.

I use a Diamond or a beat Warship. When I throw them full power with a hyzer they will come out of my hand with a nice 45 / and about 30-50 feet out flip to flat - and glide for a mile. If I want them to turn right, I just release with less hyzer.

I definitely takes practice, so start with field work to perfect the technique. I lost my first Diamond trying to throw it in tight fairways too soon.

Understable is what works best when first getting used to it. Once you figure out those then you can move on to more stable drivers.

I use my Fury and River for Hyzerflips that end right.

I use my Saints and my other River for Hyzerflips that go straight. The River is hyzerflipped with less power,but on that Saint I'm killing it to get it to that smooth and silky straight shot.

Now if you want to really learn how to properly hyzerflip or throw any shot you can think of, get a Comet. Easiest disc to learn to hyzerflip with.

I'm still working on throwing it consistently, but I'm having the most success thus far with beat-in understable putters and slower mid-ranges. I have yet to achieve the "aha" moment.

I tried doing hyzer flips with my Diamond today, and it performed very well. I believe I can consider the "aha" moment achieved now! :clap:

How do most of your actually throw your hyzer. For months after I learned the shot I was throwing exactly the same as I would a flat shot except I'd roll my wrist to the hyzer angle.

Then I started leaning over the disc so that the disc and my pull is still in the same angle to my body as when I'm throwing flat. But since I'm leaning over slightly the disc is on the hyzer angle.

I've also had trouble in hyzer-fliping when going from "hyzer release" to "level to ground" follow through vs. keeping my follow through on the same place as the hyzer release which will look like my wrist/hand/arm going in a much higher arc.

I think keeping on the same plane is correct but it feels weird to me.

How do most of your actually throw your hyzer. For months after I learned the shot I was throwing exactly the same as I would a flat shot except I'd roll my wrist to the hyzer angle.

Then I started leaning over the disc so that the disc and my pull is still in the same angle to my body as when I'm throwing flat. But since I'm leaning over slightly the disc is on the hyzer angle.

I've also had trouble in hyzer-fliping when going from "hyzer release" to "level to ground" follow through vs. keeping my follow through on the same place as the hyzer release which will look like my wrist/hand/arm going in a much higher arc.

I think keeping on the same plane is correct but it feels weird to me.

I'm not entirely following what you're saying, but one thing you don't want to do is roll your wrist. Here's a good article about telegraphing the shot with your body.

To throw a hyzer flip, just take a flippy disc and throw a low hyzer with it. This is the kind of hyzer that, if you threw it with a stable disc, would probably just hit the ground and skip only a few hundred feet ahead of you. But since the disc is understable, it flips up off that hyzer and goes straight or turns over. That's pretty much all there is to it, though you'll see all the fun little complexities that allow you to shape some really cools shots in time and with practice.

I believe that it's more than just a understable disc thrown on a hyzer. I can throw understable discs relatively hard on a hyzer plane and still have them fly on a hyzer line.

The key for me is nose angle of the disc. Push the nose of the disc down with your thumb (I move my thumb closer to the edge of the disc than normal and cock my wrist downward a tad).

Nose-up throws will probably not achieve enough turn and just fade out. Have fun experimenting. You'll learn a lot in the process.

I believe that it's more than just a understable disc thrown on a hyzer. I can throw understable discs relatively hard on a hyzer plane and still have them fly on a hyzer line.

The key for me is nose angle of the disc. Push the nose of the disc down with your thumb (I move my thumb closer to the edge of the disc than normal and cock my wrist downward a tad).

Nose-up throws will probably not achieve enough turn and just fade out. Have fun experimenting. You'll learn a lot in the process.

JedV is right. I didn't even think about that. For a proper hyzer-flip you need the nose down and a nice flat pull through with plenty of snap. You can still get an understable disc to do a regular hyzer with a nose up low to high pull through throw.