• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I can BARELY break 300'

Lol yes I did mean forward, not behind. So what do you mean by clearing the front hip though? When I think of clearing anything I think of the Shawn Clement video where he is talking about not letting your arms hit your body coming back down ( I think this was the "don't keep your head down" vid). On that line of thought clearing in my head means sort of rotating and turning out of the way, but I feel like bracing up against the right side would stop you from rotating more.

I of course understand that you have to brace against the right side, I just think that my understanding of clearing the front hip might be off. Or this will be another thing that once I do it, will make more sense.
You need to get your CoG/upper body bent over more athletic over your front toes/left teepad side coming into the plant. Front shoulder over front knee looking behind tee. You are landing in a seated position with shoulder behind knee, CoG too far toward the front heel/right teepad side and you jam into/behind the front hip instead of landing upright on it.

Well I had a not so great day at work, but after work I went out to a smaller field near my house where I sometimes throw, and I threw for the first time using that backswing brace feel that I now have from my last video. I was able to throw a 168g champion wraith 360 feet from a standstill (1 step?).

I will have a video soon, but man did this feel great. I made sure to try and bend over to get my COG a bit more on my toes, but I don't know if my plant was perfect. I think I'm really getting close to breaking my long time goal of 400 feet. Thank you again to SW and SP for helping me get this far.

The last one your rear foot finally moved correctly. You are starting in too wide a stance and crouching over and trying to go too fast from the start of the backswing. Need to relax more in backswing and let the backswing pull your front heel up away from target and then stride your hips/leg forward into plant. Pitchers start in a narrow stance for balance on the rear leg to stride forward. You are starting your backswing too far away from your rear leg, or not shifting your whole center of gravity back enough to the rear leg before the backswing.

Ok so the first image is you planting and I think a lot of things look good. The key is, you should be done with your left/rear foot leverage in this first image...you should just be landing/dropping and accepting your weight on the right leg at this point, and trusting that the rotation will be caused by the right leg/hip clearing.

The second image illustrates your problem...your left toes are still pressured and pushing your torso and body into rotation. Your right foot is already released from the ground and rotating because your left foot is torquing your body into rotation.

I think you just need to land like you do in the first image and not think about any more left foot input or push or rotation. See where it gets you to just trust the right leg balance and technique.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• plant.jpg
    plant.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 134
  • push.jpg
    push.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 132
So I've been lately in some throws really trying to not push off the left leg, and I have noticed that if I stomp the ground harder into the plant, then my arm tends to move faster. Before, just trying to sort of extend my right leg downward into the plant, I guess stomping with my thigh, wasn't working. This feels more like I'm trying to bring all my weight down into the ground, and it feels like its actually powering the shot.

Does this sound right?

Also would still love some feedback on my last post. No rush though, I'm sure the people on here don't make a living doing form reviews on the internet :D

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-rnYS4ixkdJITNiANouDr_yQrBGixLBV

I didn't know if you meant to just do the arm swing with trying to get the acceleration over the right foot, or the whole follow through move you did right after that as well. I did this in my office so I didn't really have space to follow through like that, but I can do another video of me giving that a shot.

I practiced this move a decent bit before filming, and I found that If I keep my arm straight, and go at the right tempo, I could get this feeling where my arm was kind of heavy. It was sort of hard to find it, and I think for a long time I was doing this drill with my arm being disconnected. I really had to slow down at some points and kind of "work with gravity" is how it felt.

Let me know if this looks good and what to do next. Thank you all for the continued help.

Start by keep your arm relaxed elbow should bend slightly and let gravity take it down and then give it a little gravity assist to target with lower arm whip. Just a little effort and you should feel your arm pulling you targetward over the front foot.

Just wanted to drop in and say that I've read through this whole thread over the past few days and really appreciate all the effort by SP and SW (and other threads also). I've caught a few tips myself, and will be trying out some of the drills.

Also, to the OP: Watching you progress from (I would consider) noob form to, possibly, Intermediate(?) over the course of a year is really great to watch, and I wanted to thank you as well for putting yourself out there to receive critique/criticism. I'm curious to see where you're at, and if you've made any changes/improvements in the last few months.

Give us an update!

Thanks all.

Thanks man, I'm glad that this journey has maybe been useful or at least entertaining for some other people as well as myself. I've been pretty busy moving and switching jobs and stuff lately, and I've barely played in the last 3 months. I got back out recently though and I think it's time to start up again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nML8W6ZB7Es

My google drive literally got up to 100% capacity because of my other videos so I decided to start posting on youtube instead, should be easier all around. In this video I'm just trying to pick up where I left off. What I remember was swinging my arm back and forth, slowly at first, but always making sure I could feel gravity making my arm feel heavy, and trying not to lose that taut feeling.

Next I tried to relax my elbow a little bit and sort of let my arm just hang loosely while still swinging. This made my elbow bend as I was coming through and it actually put my arm right where it sort of normally is when I was throwing, except now I feel like I'm not intentionally putting my arm there.

Before I would tell my arm to reach back, then pull through close to my chest, and then extend again to release the "disc". In this video though I just swung my arm back and forth while relaxing my elbow more and when I shifted my weight at what feels like the right time, my arm just naturally went through the motions but still felt mostly taut the whole time, even though it was bent at the elbow.

It feels like my arm, at least my forearm, is dead heavy weight and getting slung around, instead of me intentionally putting it where I think it's supposed to go.

Let me know if what I'm saying is on the right track, and if the video seems to match what I'm saying. I apologize for the top half being cut off, I'm working on a better position and set up and stuff. It's good to be back and I look forward to continuing to improve with the help from you guys.

Keep swinging through so that the right shoulder keeps turning...or rather both shoulders keep rotating around the spine. You want your right shoulder continually turning so that it is always pulling the elbow, and that is pulling the forearm.

You're stopping the shoulder I think, so the elbow gets out ahead and then the forearm slams forward and looks like it will want to fully extend/hyperextend the elbow...that could be pretty painful.

If you're just penduluming forward and back then you should feel everything swing up and then naturally slow from gravity, rather than whipping it to a dead stop...basically just don't hurt your elbow.

1. Stance is too wide to make a quick efficient move/shift. Narrow up stance.

2. Your heels are spinning out and around your toes instead of leading the toes inward/forward/eversion. Need to firm up front leg more.

3. Make a counter clockwise circle with your rear knee. Don't lock out the rear knee. Start in narrow stance and work your swing longer into full stride and complete shift upright balance on rear leg to upright balance on front leg back and forth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2Zrf5GbvdE#t=2m
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu4CzVnITlo#t=5m56s

Alrighty so here is me in my garage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOMOjUto1Hw

I'm focusing here on doing the same thing as before but with narrower stance, and focusing on trying to keep my heel from spinning out. I found it helpful to imagine I was corkscrewing my left leg into the ground, which I believe was helping me shift my weight a little better. It certainly felt like I was moving to my right a little more and a little more quickly. There were a few swings where I think I was trying to swing my arm intentionally, and when I realized I was doing this I stopped and tried to let the force of the weight shift and plant move my arm for me while keeping it relaxed. Tell me how this looks.

You need to setup in neutral stance feet to hips. Turn your front foot slightly open, hopefully that will help narrow up your stance more with heels under hips and more athletic position. Your front foot is turned too far back like 30-45 degrees, and your front heel is spinning out in your backswing. Your front shoulder is swinging behind your front heel/knee toward right teepad side and you jerk back behind your the heel off balance, instead of your shoulder swinging over your toes/knee toward left teepad side - forward athletic balance.

You are trying to move your feet and throw your hips around too much and too fast and out of control/rhythm instead of being smooth and perpetual and effortless.

Last edited:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8d0CwuHAZw

Alright well I haven't been playing for quite a while, but I found a nice little field right next to my house, so I'm back at it.

I am focusing here on bracing against my back foot on my back swing, and then immediately bracing against the front foot the other direction. It feels like my hips are swaying much less, and it feels very powerful. I watched the Shawn Clement video in the last post and am trying to go with the "inside left to inside right" brace feel. Let me know what you see.

Edit: I know my back arm is going crazy, I was focusing on the bracing more than that, but will try and fix it in subsequent videos

The practice swings looked a lot better than the actual throw. In the throw you are getting over the top and not really transferring to the front leg. I think the bracing looks like the right idea in the practice swings though, maybe still too far weight back as you are falling back instead of just balanced over top of the front hip.

You need to shift back and forth to brace the swing rotation. You are collapsing posture into rotation/over rotation, instead of shifting and extending posture to rotate.

You are going to hurt yourself trying to swing so hard out of your shoes. Slower lower body = 10x faster end whip speed when everything is connected/coupled together.

What you are doing feels very powerful, but is very inefficient. It's going to feel very weird/foreign and not powerful to you to swing more upright and effortless. You need to let go of everything and relax and not try to throw hard.

1. Setup, your knees are too bent. Stand upright and relaxed.

2-3. Backswing, you take a small step away from target with rear foot widening your stance the wrong direction reducing loading into rear foot and collapsing your rear leg and getting really short. You should be getting taller on the rear leg and extending rear knee to shift to it and brace upright for rotation on it.

4-5. Transition move, note how your pelvis tips over collapsing your front hip and torque is rolling your front foot over and jumping foot back off ground, and left shoulder reverse away from target and your upper body is going over top and pulling/dragging the disc along with your upper body. Note how my pelvis swings forward in pendulum underneath upper body to brace upright and allow free rotation to repel/push/sling the disc away from center like hammer thrower. Also note how my left shoulder never reverses away from target and is the swing center/fulcrum of a much longer shoulder lever.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135088

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lvXcIcNGgs&t=169s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxnhM5amro0&t=1m14s
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135899

attachment.php

Latest posts