• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I don't understand DGCR reviews/ratings

i didnt know how else to explain it. :D
attachment.php
So, we're the horse's ass?

...but we're a real accurate picture of that horse's ass. :)

:\

Specifically,
1)Why are reviews so few and far between with over 95,000 members ?

I guess there is only so much to say indepth about a course. Especially for the slew of lower end ones if it's been the same for a long period of time.

I would love to see weighted reviews on Udisc, based on how long and how many courses the reviewer played.

I guess there is only so much to say indepth about a course. Especially for the slew of lower end ones if it's been the same for a long period of time.

I would love to see weighted reviews on Udisc, based on how long and how many courses the reviewer played.

Today is the 31st. There are still reviews on the front page from the 26th. So, only 9 reviews written between the 27th and 31st. It's hard to get fresh perspectives on courses when so few reviews are being churned out.

This thread has accomplished these things for me, in no particular order:

Takes sugaree off my wishlist of courses.

Makes me contemplate using my ignore button for the first and only time.

Makes me want to verbalize how much I damn appreciate everything TimG does for this site, as absolutely thankless as it must be. DGCR ain't perfect, but it's far and away the ABSOLUTE BEST place for anything disc golf related.

Can say the same thing for the mods, agree with them or not, love them or hate them, they do a dang good job keeping this place going. It's a thankless job, and one that I give them a big THANK YOU! for doing. If I ever run into one of you at an establishment, I'm buying you a beer!

I think that's it for now. Check back later for another post full of things that'll come to me a minute past the edit window lol

Can agree with most of that (I don't need a button to ignore someone).

I've been registered here for a long time (2007, Seems to make me his elder), and been throwing Frisbees for much longer than that (apparently longer than the Mr. Mando). I don't add as much here as many of you do but I do enjoy reading these boards while eating lunch and it gets pretty tiresome reading someone whining and complaining on and on and on and on...

I'm sure most of us here get it that you (Mando) feel like you've been slighted. You obviously don't handle criticism very well. I know what it's like to give all you have to build something for the world to enjoy and have a few give not-so-glowing reports (even though the vast majority enjoy your efforts). Give your rebuttal and move on. Quit polluting every thread (OMD-like) with your dislike of the circumstances. It's just a game with plastic discs. Go throw 'em and have some fun.

Today is the 31st. There are still reviews on the front page from the 26th. So, only 9 reviews written between the 27th and 31st. It's hard to get fresh perspectives on courses when so few reviews are being churned out.

Well, it is winter in about half the country. Between that and COVID, I would guess there are far fewer road trips to find new courses, is going down. But, your disappointment is not to be dismissed.

I'm extremely new around here but what's the deal with Sugaree? It seems like OP is the owner of said course and has claimed that it has been marked as Extinct on this site even though it's actually not?

Am I missing something here? I probably shouldn't even really be asking because sounds like some drama that does not need to be re-lived but still curious because I see that course mentioned every once in awhile.

Mando is indeed the owner of Sugaree, an awesome private course in the North Carolina mountains. The course is not extinct.

He's also had a long-running feud with this site. I couldn't tell you whether the course is listed as "extinct" at Mando's wish, or by action of this website's owner.

Reviews and ratings on Disc Golf Scene are about as useful as reviews and ratings on U-Disc.

Just about any course that's halfway decent is rated at least "A-" on DG Scene. For the most part of a course rated below A-, it likely sux.

The problem with a bunch of courses being rated in the top few tiers, is that it provides little separation between the truly wonderful, bucket list courses, and the merely good.

The way people choose to rate courses on those sites is essentially a binary function:
Either it's good, or it's not.
But you really can't tell to what degree they're good, or to what degree they're not. And there isn't enough substance in the reviews to make that determination.

That would certainly make tougher to plan a road trip and know you were going to hit truly high quality courses.

DGS has some value. It is the go to tournament and league app. It is used extensively round these parts. In Michigan it is also a pretty valuable communication tool. The comments page for each course is usually monitored by some locals. They are generally pretty quick to answer course questions. I think facebook has hurt this app, more than UDisc.

Put it back on. It's an awesome course, on incredible property. It was years ago when I played it, and reports are that it's greatly improved since then.

And Mando's a great guy, other than when he's on DGCR complaining about DGCR.

Been trying to get out to Sugaree for years. Everyone I know that's played it raves about it. Several "near misses," but the timing never works, or something changes unexpectedly. :(

If only I could find a time that works for both Mando and me...

*sigh*

I really think 2022 is the year, though! :)

Last edited:

Echo chamber; I've never been to Sugaree but everyone I know who has been there said it was well worth the trip. They also seem to struggle with the online persona Rich takes here because they all 100% say he's a great guy IRL. Based off of that I give him a lot of rope; he seems to have a need to grumble about DGCR so I try to listen and see if there is anything valid we can act on there.

Long story but in the first league I ran I took over after it had been running for 15 years. There was a guy named Tom Barrett in the league; hard-working guy who would give you the shirt off his back, but he felt like some things needed to be improved. He also felt like nobody was listening to him. Tom's approach with me was to get in my face on day one and start bitching a blue streak about everything I did and everything that had gone on for the last several years. He bitched and he bitched and he bitched and I tried to avoid him as much as possible but he never stopped complaining. It was all stuff that was out of my control so it seemed like a waste of my time; I had him on automatic ignore. Finally one day (and I'm not sure why or how it happened) he said something and I was listening enough to think "Hey, we could actually do that."

So I started listening to Tom and the other guys whose lives seemed to revolve around pointing out how much I sucked at running a disc golf league (yes, there was more than one :| ) and about every ninth or tenth thing they complained about were things we could try so I started trying them. A few of those ideas worked and we basically changed how that league ran, bringing in more players as we did. There was value in taking the time to listen to Tom, even though 90% of the stuff he complained about I couldn't change and he was still never happy. He seems happy to see me when I run into him now, though. He's a good guy. He certainly has put his time into helping develop disc golf, whatever other faults he may have. Communication is hard sometimes. There are a lot of Tom Barrett's in disc golf; it would be a mistake to ignore them.

Well, it is winter in about half the country. Between that and COVID, I would guess there are far fewer road trips to find new courses, is going down. But, your disappointment is not to be dismissed.

I was going to say something similar. It's winter, there's a lot of that pesky weather stuff happening. COVID is still running around like a toddler who escaped the bath tub. Seems reasonable that there'd be a drop off in new reviews because of those two things alone.

It's cool though, in a couple months we'll be complaining that there's TOO many new reviews coming in too fast.

What I love about the way DGCR works, is you can find a reviewer who has similar tastes in courses as you, and use their reviews to find a course you might like.

Exactly what I do for anything within a couple hundred miles. Read the sisyphus review, consider my research basically done. Pretty much 100% spot on from my point of view.

I've always viewed the ratings as a loose guideline and not as a definitive ranking of courses. What I love about the way DGCR works, is you can find a reviewer who has similar tastes in courses as you, and use their reviews to find a course you might like.

Exactly what I do for anything within a couple hundred miles. Read the sisyphus review, consider my research basically done. Pretty much 100% spot on from my point of view.

This is what most people should do, IMO. My go to is Bogey, he values most things I look for in a course. I have similar likes and dislikes. While I respect his rating, I find great value in his reviews. Finding a few "super" trusted reviewers has proven to be invaluable in travels. I might filter for ratings of three and above, but reviews then pare that down to a handful or two. My "super" trusted reviewers then help me make the final cut. If I don't find any of those reviewers, I might actually start a thread, asking for help.