• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"I Enjoy Throwing Frisbee's"----- Disc Golf feelgoods and Imparted Wisdom

ThrowaEnvy

GyrO Activation Technician.
Premium Member
There's lots of good moments in the sport.. I was re-watching the MJ icon video in the Comet love thread and it's nice to have that kind of inspiration on video. I love that philosophy, it's my philosophy. I'm always grateful to be a part of this sport

"I enjoy throwing frisbee's" *Michael Johanssen

That's what disc golf is to me, it's disc gold. I've been lucky enough to have many "icons" to help my game and philosophy. People from the ground floor who grew the sport, some I didn't realize how important they were until recently learning more about history. It's always just been people I liked playing with.

So how's about a shout out to those random folks.

Share some love here people even if they won't see it! :D

Within the first month or two after I started playing, I was out at this little city park with the guy who was teaching me the game. There was also an older guy out taking measurements - "hey, that guy has Innova on his shirt, let's go talk to him" said my buddy. We didn't just chat, he threw a few holes with us and dropped an amazing roller on one hole that still sticks in my mind. Turns out it was Russell Schwartz, not much of a player but a big mover in the Charlotte scene from decades ago and current Innova course designer.
We hit it off so well that I occasionally crashed at his house and he took me to my first tournament. I'd road trip to look at courses he had in development and we even went to see The Dead in Greensboro. He's not a favorite on DGCR to some, but he was instrumental to why "I enjoy throwing frisbees".

Is there a more satisfying sound?

6fqe22.jpg

I played Wildwood in Ottumwa, IA, today. Played OK, honestly shot 75, or +20. Was WHO I was with that was cool. As I was setting up, a guy came and asked if I had played before. Said, Nope! He said, You're in Luck. I'm Bob, one of the course designers. On about hole #2, he mentions winning the State Open Championship on this course in the late 70s, back when it was still an object course. He helped design the course in 1979 and re-design the course in 2020. Showed me around, pointed out the other tees and other basket placements. I really enjoyed my round with Bob. Looked him up after I got home....Robert Kramer, 7-time Iowa State Open Disc Golf Champion (more than anyone), member of the Iowa Disc Golf Hall of Fame, and a nice guy to throw a round with. Awesome course, too.

Quoted without permission, hope you don't mind knobby but it gave me some feelgood DG vibes.

I didn't start playing tourneys in Colorado until 1998, which was four years after HOF'er Johnny Roberts passed, but his spirit was still present. All the Masters age and older players always greeted each other with a hug. This was Johnny's legacy, he was known as the "Squeezer Geezer."

I don't see much of that crowd these days, but when I do a hug is still mandatory.

attachment.php

I'm on vacation in Hawaii and found this beautiful 18 hole course on a ball golf course. The weather was beautiful, course was beautiful, and Oahu was beautiful. Great way to spend an afternoon in Hawaii.

Attachments

• 20220718_170903.jpg
    20220718_170903.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 178
https://www.printmag.com/daily-heller/the-daily-heller-will-disc-golf-become-an-american-pastime/

This was posted by DFrah in the disc golf news thread. Gave me the warm and fuzzies..

Aaron Knickerbocker is a professional landscaper and has only been discing since 2014. He's a volunteer doing course design and building. Responsible for 4 courses and a truckload of Getter Done!

He touts the ecological benefits of disc golf courses by saving green space with invasive plant management.

Last edited:
Played our Triple Crown tourney this Sunday, I tried to defend the trophy and failed :D 3 strokes off. Anyhow this younger kid maybe 13/14 came with his dad, he was nervous about playing with us and wasn't going to come... so he paired off with his dad for first round... shot the hot score at -7, they split em off after that. Not a phenom but a good lumper. I got paired with him second round, I think I was probably one of the better people for that mission :D We got second hottest score with a -7 again. Shared the work, kept me in the game. He aced the last hole but it bounced out of the bucket. I guess he did all right last doubles round but impressively managed to hold it together by a stroke for singles.

Good for him to not melt down, he had some padding but not the lead and he held it together while others melted down. Scoring inconsistency was discovered after the fact, he was tied for lead and the guy that handed in the wrong score conceded.

Anyhow just real happy for the kid!!!! What a great experience. Pretty good for his first tournament.

So hurricane Fiona ripped through the east coast of Canada, did a ton of damage to a lot of disc golf courses. The Maritime Disc Golf Association launched a fundraiser, the biggest one I've seen up here. Very ambitious.

The goal kept moving forward, in the end they raised $20,000 to help!!!! Lots of people kicked in prizes, Simon Lizotte included, he showed up for a quick appearance and a couple questions during the draw.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zGG5vSlmM5Q&feature=youtu.be

Just outstanding folks!! :D what a great community effort!

Latest posts