• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I need the spark again!

JoshH989

Well I've been playing for a little over a year now. I recently moved to a new town and they just now got a small 9 hole course on the ski hill here. The baskets are home made and well...not really quality. They're taller than me and I'm about 5'8".

My old town had 3 courses including a PDGA certified one and two small flat courses. I played every day before work and couldn't get enough. Now that I've moved I just can't get the same motivation as I once had. I think I've played this new course a total of 4 times.

I need some motivation to get back into the swing of things, and get back out working on my drives and putts, cause I miss disc golf. :thmbdown:

Anyone have any similar experiences?

When I was doing my coop in Illinois last fall, the nearest course worth playing was ~45 minutes in any direction. As a result, I was not able to play much... I did, however, put in a ton of time throwing drives in the town's soccer field and added almost 150' to my drive :)

I know your pain and I would recommend you do something like that so when you find a better course that you are still well equipped to tear it up.

When I lived in VA I was a short 5 minute drive from a nice 18 hole course. I even spent several summers lifeguarding in that park.

When I moved to NH, the closest course was a 30 minute drive and wasn't very fun. It was a very short pitch & putt. I still played there from time to time but couldn't find the same excitement.

Then I got into the tournament scene and suddenly found myself driving all over New England to play tournaments at new courses. The competition helped me to find a spark I never had before.

Now I don't even need a course to play. I'm just as happy finding a field to practice drives, or setting up my practice basket in the backyard to putt. Even though I'm not playing for score, I'm still working to better my game so that I can play well at my next tournament.

Take a road trip and play some cool new courses. That always gets me going if I'm in a funk or not playing well. MI has some fantastic courses, probably some not too far away from you depending on where you are.

Road trip! I agree. That always jazzes me up!

Kind of in the same boat , moved 45 minutes away from my home course last Xmas . I still work at the same place , just commuting now . I've been getting 2 rounds in per week , a far cry from daily and sometimes twice a day . But hey, you gotta walk the dog and this has been her walk since she was a pup . I now have a fenced , artificial grass soccer field across the street which has been instrumental in learning shots, distance and more shots ! Think I'm throwing much better , and starting to be able to shape shots ! The field work was something I've never done before , and I'll bet that Tiger Woods spends more time at the range than he does on course !

Thanks guys! I have a small public park with an open baseball field right down the road. Maybe I'll go toss up my practice basket there tomorrow and give it a whirl. I can't say I've done a ton of field work!

I'd like to get into the tournament scene. I've only done a few small ones, but it's a lot of fun and I used to be a competitive paintball player. (I traveled the country for those tournaments, but that's a story for another day) and loved it. So the competive aspect is right up my ally.

Think I might go play this new course once or twice tomorrow too. Just cause I'm feeling it. Plus if its my "home course" now I have to throw better than +3 :p

Thanks DGCR

Until last winter, the nearest course to the area where I grew up[I'm there every year to visit relatives, 1-3 months] was 30 miles. It was torture, but now there are two 18-hole courses, 1.5 and 7 miles away. :thmbup: Its the Deep South---good things happen even there.

Find a local park close to you that looks like it might make an interesting disc golf course and go to the Parks Board (if there is one) or the City Council and make your own.

I did this and it's been amazing.

Is there a local disc golf scene at all? Minus the new course that was installed? Talk to whomever installed the course maybe put up a flier at the course to start a weekly "get together" to play 1 or 2 rounds. Once you establish a few regulars to your weekly get together turn it into doubles. Get to know a other players and make day trips to nicer courses (split gas). Also is there room at the new course to add a back nine?

I like the idea of getting more into the tournament scene. That way it may give you the spark for field practice when you are unable to make it to the course.

Latest posts